Are the Otterbox Defender Port Flaps a PIA?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i see that the Otterbox Defender case has moving parts (flaps) that cover the headset jack and microUSB port. i am constantly using these ports during the day to charge and use headset for calls and am also constantly pocketing/unpocketing my phone. my question is - are these flaps a PIA? i like the case but i'm not sure if i want to be constantly fussing with these flaps.

thanks!

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you frequently plug and unplug stuff, then I think the only answer is, yes, they are a PITA. The solution is pretty simple though...cut the flaps off. I also pulled the built in screen protector off mine, because I hate all screen protectors. It's a great, slim case for the protection it provides. I had my phone slapped off of my hip onto the street while playing basketball. It was a very hard fall and doesn't have a mark on it. I should have remembered to take the holster off my hip before I started playing, but there is NO WAY the phone would have survived without that case.

wild style

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
can you please elaborate? is it a constant fuss?
The only time it bothers me personally is when I try to plug in the usb in the dark. Holding the flap out of the way while trying to figure out if I've got the usb cable in the proper orientation is annoying. But like greydarrah said, if they bother you, cut them off. The protection that the case offers outweighs the annoyance of the flaps, to me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the replies so far. i also like the Seidio Active X "Exoskeleton" Case but the only problem with that one is the corners tend to break off after awhile.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
are there any other negatives about this case? i've read about -

1. dirt/debris gets caught underneath the screen protector (between screen and screen protector) and will cause scratches on screen.
2. fit is a little loose causing the phone to rattle inside the case. case also sometimes creaks when held.
3. screen protector distorts display "rainbow effect" and is a fingerprint magnet compared to bare screen.
4. silicone shell is a lint/dust debris magnet and difficult to clean.

Secretagnt

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
just an opinion on my end ....

my wife has the Rezound and we bought her the Defender .... Best move ever for her ... she is rough on phones .. this case is a beast .... the phone is fine after flying off the top of the car at 20 mph ..... no issues works great ... protection like this trumps anything else in my mind

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
are there any other negatives about this case? i've read about -

1. dirt/debris gets caught underneath the screen protector (between screen and screen protector) and will cause scratches on screen.
2. fit is a little loose causing the phone to rattle inside the case. case also sometimes creaks when held.
3. screen protector distorts display "rainbow effect" and is a fingerprint magnet compared to bare screen.
4. silicone shell is a lint/dust debris magnet and difficult to clean.

I would say that these issues exist for just about every case I've bought, but all of them on a minor level. You mentioned Seidio in another post here. I've not had good experiences with them. All cases will break or get flimsy at some point. In my experience, Seidio sucks from a customer service standpoint when you have a case problem. They ultimately get you taken care of, but It always seems difficult. OtterBox has been the exact opposite for me. If I call then with any issue, even a question, they try to send me a free case. It's also always the whole case, holster and all. Seidio always sends me the least amount they possibly can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze