Unlocking bootloader on MAC

wes008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
While the process that kalex114 linked should work, Jerry's method seems a bit easier (unless they're actually the same and I'm blind to it). I'll be testing out Jerry's and if it works, I'll have a video guide up by the end of the day.

Reactions: legendarydog

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
In short:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
Volume Up
Power Button
Wait

Make sure your Android SDK is setup (download it, extract to ~/bin/, add tools/ and platform-tools to PATH, "android" to download latest SDK platform tools) and that you have the fastboot binary as well (Google to download this file, place it in the platform-tools folder). Finally enable USB debugging on your device (Galaxy Nexus has this on by default thank Rubin!).

Last edited:

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
the hardest part with unlocking always seems to be getting the computer to recognize the phone and install the right driver

to check that you can also fire off
adb devices

if you see the phone, you're good.

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The GN is my first android phone, so I'm a noob when it comes to unlocking bootloaders and all that stuff. So, please pardon my ignorance, but I have a question about this. If I unlock the bootloader using a PC, will I still be able to do things on the phone (install ROMs, etc.) on my Mac? I have a PC for work and a Mac at home, so I use both at different times. Right now, I'm at work but I just got my Nexus and I want to unlock the bootloader, but I don't want to do it on a PC if it will prevent me from using my home Mac to do other things.

Thanks for your help on this.

wes008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The GN is my first android phone, so I'm a noob when it comes to unlocking bootloaders and all that stuff. So, please pardon my ignorance, but I have a question about this. If I unlock the bootloader using a PC, will I still be able to do things on the phone (install ROMs, etc.) on my Mac? I have a PC for work and a Mac at home, so I use both at different times. Right now, I'm at work but I just got my Nexus and I want to unlock the bootloader, but I don't want to do it on a PC if it will prevent me from using my home Mac to do other things.

Thanks for your help on this.

Yep. Most of the Rom stuff is phone-side anyway. Have fun and welcome to the family!

Reactions: bphelminski

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
In short:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
Volume Up
Power Button
Wait

Make sure your Android SDK is setup (download it, extract to ~/bin/, add tools/ and platform-tools to PATH, "android" to download latest SDK platform tools) and that you have the fastboot binary as well (Google to download this file, place it in the platform-tools folder). Finally enable USB debugging on your device (Galaxy Nexus has this on by default thank Rubin!).

I've only unlocked and installed a rom on my device once, but I don't really remember the steps. Can you elaborate on this? I'm stuck on the SDK part. So far I've just downloaded fast boot for mac and SDK for mac. I've extracted the SDK. and then what?

EDIT: Okay, so I finally figured out how to open the SDK through Terminal. Now I am wondering which packages to install. Do I just install everything in the Android 4.0 folder? or do I also install everything in the Tools folder too?

and then of course, and then what's next?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Uploading my video tutorial... its short and super easy.
Here it is (if the video doesn't play, its still processing, check back in a few moments):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tF-Sz_yjYI[/YT]

Last edited:
Reactions: legendarydog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781