[GUIDE] Return to Stock: Factory Images for the VZW Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Note: once the Jelly Bean/JRO030 images are released, I will update this thread accordingly. Until then, you're stick with silly ole ICS.

[WARN]For those who have screwed up in Biblical proportions, follow me...[/WARN]

Here are the GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO RESTORE THE STOCK IMAGES. Make sure you know how to do it for your computer/setup and that ADB and fastboot is set up on your computer. For all machines, I highly highly recommend installing the Android SDK, found here. For Windows machines, I recommend using Wug's Toolkit, found right here (we also have a support thread for this). If you're on Ubuntu, I highly recommend reading and following this. For Mac OSX, use the superboot folder you used when unlocking/rooting your device.

In addition, make sure you know how to type the commands in for your specific setup. For example, if you're using a superboot folder for Mac, you need to make sure you understand what your "version" of the "beginning" of the command is (usually "./fastboot-mac" if you're using that r3-superboot folder). For Ubuntu, be sure to put "sudo" before any and all fastboot commands.

[NOTE]General Checklist of Stuff You Need:
  • The actual factory images.
  • Drivers for adb and fastboot setup and working properly.
  • Adb/Fastboot installed on your computer.
[/NOTE]

[INFO]
First, download the 4.1.1 JRO03O image files to your computer. These specific files are found here.

Second, extract the files from that downloaded file. Place those files in an easily accessible location, like your desktop or your downloads folder.

Third, turn your phone off. Then, hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button at the same time to boot you into the bootloader. It should say "FASTBOOT MODE" in weird (red?) lettering on the screen. Make sure the phone is connected (by USB cable) to your computer.

Note - you can also to do this in the terminal with an ADB command; make sure USB Debugging is checked (Developer Options) and your phone is plugged in. Simply type:

Code:
adb reboot rebootloader

Fourth, open up a terminal/command prompt.

Fifth, using the command line, you need to "cd" or "change directory" to where your files are. This might be different depending on what computer you're on. If you are on Ubuntu and they are on the Desktop, do this:

Code:
cd Desktop

If they are in your Downloads folder, then try this:

Code:
cd Downloads

Then, "cd" or "change directory" again to the folder that you extracted (mysid-jro03o I believe). So, it would be

Code:
cd foldername
or
Code:
cd mysid-jro03o

(Trick: to quickly cd to something on Ubuntu, simply type in "cd " [notice the space] and then drag and drop the folder/directory right in there :))

Sixth, once at the folder containing the goods, you need type in the following commands. Each command will flash a different component/image required to go to stock. You can copy and paste each command, but if they don't work type them in. There's a general "language" that's being spoken here, so as long as you understand that language you'll be able to get the general jibe of what's going on. Also, make sure each command is COMPLETE before going to the next.

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primelc03.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.fg02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ff02.img
fastboot –w update image-mysid-jro03o.zip

Seventh, let the phone reboot COMPLETELY to the "Welcome" screen. Then turn the device off and get back to the bootloader (see the third step). Also, don't close the terminal/command prompt window, you still need it!

Eighth, lock the device by using the following command in the terminal/command prompt, and then reboot the bootloader:

Code:
fastboot oem lock

You should now see "LOCKED" at the bottom of that bootloader screen on your device. Remember, this wipes your SDcard and everything, but if you're at this point that should be of no concern to you ;). If you hate that your device is locked, then...

Ninth, to unlock the device again, simply type in the commands:

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
[/INFO]

And there you have it--a locked or unlocked, stock Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1.

Credit for the above is due to everyone who has helped me and this guide.

UPDATE:

For visual learners, we took a friend's phone and returned it to stock using this very guide. Follow along here. The rest of the video is flashing Jelly Bean, if that interests you :). Video starts at 4:25...

UPDATE 9/25/12:

The guide has been updated with the latest available factory images, JRO03O (Jelly Bean :)).

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Factory images for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

how do you flash this on mac?

Install Android SDK
Build or download fastboot for Mac
Gunzip and untar the package file to a directory
Set .bashrc so that the fastboot binary is in your path
from the terminal:
cd /dir/you/untarred/the/files/to
chmod +x flash-all.sh
./flash-all.sh

How exactly to do these steps on a Mac, I have no idea. I do Linux, Solaris and Windows, but nothing Apple. But the above is what you'll need to do.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

gbhil could you give instructions for windows?

I have adb and fastboot installed. I am used to:

adb reboot bootloader
Gnex will then reboot into bootloader screen
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

But it looks like there are other files in the download from Google. The bootloader-toro-primekk15.img, radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img and radio-toro.

What do I do with those files? How do I use the flash-all.sh with windows?

Edit: Droid-Life just posted instructions. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...the-bootloader-and-return-to-a-factory-state/

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
fastboot oem lock

It would be nice to know how to use the
./flash-all.sh
as the Droid-Life instructions doesn't use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: broadwayblues

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone have an exacty How To, do this on the LTE NExus? I want to return everything back to completely stock. Im looking all over and I cant figure it out for the life of me. I went ahead and unlocked and rooted it.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

It wont get much better than the above from Droid-Life. What part are you stuck at?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

gbhil could you give instructions for windows?

<snip>

It would be nice to know how to use the
./flash-all.sh
as the Droid-Life instructions doesn't use it.

Does anyone have an exacty How To, do this on the LTE NExus? I want to return everything back to completely stock. Im looking all over and I cant figure it out for the life of me. I went ahead and unlocked and rooted it.

I'm no Windows guru. But if someone were to take these commands:

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekj10.img
sleep 10
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek01.img
sleep 10
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
sleep 10
fastboot -w update image-mysid-itl41d.zip

And save it in a text file named flash-all.bat, it should run and flash everything all at once within Windows.

Someone could also include the fastboot.exe and a couple dll files from the SDK and make a one-click app. I'm willing to help, but right now I'm too busy with real-life stuff to get it done.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Thats sick gbhil. Good idea. Out of my desire to do, but hopefully someone else runs with it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Screw it. I'm making time :p

attachment.php

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Don't make it too easy. Are you going to update it for future releases? You know some noob will use this even if on a different, future bootloader which may interfere with this install? Or is that not a concern?

Using adb and fastboot isn't that hard and is good to learn if rooted.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Guys -- I have a stupid question.. Where is the best place to get an unzip program so I can unpack the .tar file? I really don't have the need to do this that often, and would like to avoid paying $25.00 for it, but will if I have to.

Thanks in advance.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Guys -- I have a stupid question.. Where is the best place to get an unzip program so I can unpack the .tar file? I really don't have the need to do this that often, and would like to avoid paying $25.00 for it, but will if I have to.

Thanks in advance.

Go get 7zip. Its does all kinds of compressed files and its free.

Reactions: p08757 and davidnc

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Got everything downloaded that I need to restore back to stock(SDK program,7zip, and the google image .tar file) .I really dont need to restore back tho yet just preparing for ahead of time,lol.

I havent got the SDK set up yet ,,but as mentioned above no reason to yet , all's great still on my rooted and unlocked Nexus :)

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site

Don't you just put your GNex in bootloader mode and flash these .tar files with Odin?

No ADB/SDK necessary? Well the only thing you need is Odin and the Samsung USB drivers. :cool:

Tonyo50138

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

does anyone have the mac commands for unrooting one of the verizon images in the above post? I'm not all that good at mac yet lol :)