Red Exclamation in Recovery.. Every Time

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So I went to unlock the phone, and rebooting into recovery was no problem. I enter fastboot oem unlock, the phone immediately shuts off, and turns back on (seemingly into fastboot/recovery) and gives a picture of an open bugdroid with a red exclamation mark triangle.

I see this every time I attempt to reboot into recovery now, and I'm not familiar enough with the process to fix it myself.

(I found similar threads on XDA when I searched, but none provided a clear answer.)

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
From how you describe it I think the same thing happened to me. I unlocked the bootloader, and my phone is working fine right now but if I fastboot and then select recovery mode i get taken to the screen your describing- the open droid with the red exclamation mark triangle. My phones working fine so would II need to flash the official recovery image?? what would i get out of it or why does it need to be done
Also Ive setup a bunch of stuff already so would flashing the official recovery image force me to unlock the bootloader again and therefore wipe the phone.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood the OP. I think hes saying his phone goes to the red exclamation point when he goes to start it in fastboot. Mine shows the red exclamation point after I start it in fastboot mode and then enter recovery mode.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
From how you describe it I think the same thing happened to me. I unlocked the bootloader, and my phone is working fine right now but if I fastboot and then select recovery mode i get taken to the screen your describing- the open droid with the red exclamation mark triangle. My phones working fine so would II need to flash the official recovery image?? what would i get out of it.
Also Ive setup a bunch of stuff already so would flashing the official recovery image force me to unlock the bootloader again and therefore wipe the phone.

I'm looking for the same answers as you. To be clear, this is what happened to me:

(1) Verified Samsung USB drivers are correct.
(2) > "adb reboot recovery"
(3) Rebooted into recovery successfully.
(4) > "fastboot oem unlock"
(5) 3-4 seconds pass, screen goes black.
(6) Device boots directly to bugdroid with red exclamation.

I can power up and use the phone normally, but any attempt to boot into recovery now immediately results in such an error.

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
For me what happened was

1 drivers installed
2 vol and power to get into fastboot- (didnt go into recovery just fastboot)
3 fastboot oem unlock
4 phone goes to google screen then color splash screen and back to google like 3 times then starts up and works normally
6 Phone will go into fastboot manually but when i try to get into recovery i get the red !!
7 Also adb reboot recovery takes m to the red !!

Phone is working normally but like you said any attempt to get to recovery gives me the red !!

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
hey lumeni check this link out

Restore Galaxy Nexus To Stock [How To]

Look at the part after it says to flash recovery using adb. The next step is:

"10.Reboot phone into bootloader mode and select Recovery. If you see a red triangle, you have flashed the stock recovery."

So im thinking that our phones may be working how they should be but im not positive. First android phone for me and Ive only messed around with custom recoveries on wifes phone.

s004kcg

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Look for the thread in XDA called {revovery} CMR LTE edition. use the linked recovery image.

1. flash that through fastboot, that is the cwm for lte
2. reboot phone,then find the file named /system/recovery-from-boot.p and either rename it to '1recovery-from-boot.p' without the quotes or delete it, (i renamed it)
3. reboot into fastboot mode and then chose recovery, you can then make backups or whatever with out the dead android guy with the red triangle containing the exclamation

i didnt make this up just followed the directions in the above mentioned thread good luck !!!!

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Look for the thread in XDA called {revovery} CMR LTE edition. use the linked recovery image.

2. reboot phone,then find the file named /system/recovery-from-boot.p and either rename it to '1recovery-from-boot.p' without the quotes or delete it, (i renamed it)
3. reboot into fastboot mode and then chose recovery, you can then make backups or whatever with out the dead android guy with the red triangle containing the exclamation

i didnt make this up just followed the directions in the above mentioned thread good luck !!!!

Thanks man and i do wanna flash clockwork mod eventually but right now I think were both trying to figure out if theres something wrong with our stock recoveries or if booting into the stock recovery after unlocking the bootloader should show the android guy on his side with the red exclamation??

Edit: I just saw Clockwork mod recovery updated to the final version on XDA, so if anyone can confirm that my phones stock recovery isnt messed up I will go ahead and flash clockwork. Im not sure if its ok to flash CWR onto my phone if the stock recovery is messed up, like i said before im still new to android so sorry if I appear repetitive

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So I ended up growing a pair and said it and went ahead and flashed cwr and everything works great. So doesn't look like we even had a problem to begin with now if someone would just release a kernel so we can overclock this

Last edited:

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Finally worked after I deleted the "/system/reboot-from-recovery.p" file in Root Explorer

See this link at XDA: [RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery *CDMA Edition* - xda-developers

Thanks to member "s004kcg"!!!!!!!

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem when trying to flash google wallet. I was able to unlock bootloader and root with no problem before this. So what I did was load up the rom management app and entered recovery mode through there. From here the red exclamation mark dissapeared. I was able to back up my phone and flash the google wallet zip. Everything was fine and I then restarted phone. Now I received a message that google wallet was force closing. I had read about this in other forums and had to go back into recovery mode and fix my permissions. Now the problem was, that I was getting the red exclamation mark when trying to access from rom manager AND from bootloader screen. I just reset my entire device and was able to get google wallet to work.

Im not sure if this helps your problem OP but to others that may have run into this problem it will help them and hopefully lead to a solution for you!

Edit: I tried to access recovery mode from boot loader screen just to see and I still receive red exclamation mark. Phone works perfectly but the red exclamation mark continues to haunt me. I have no idea why this is so.

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think unless you have a custom recovery you will only get the red !!! when you try to enter recovery ( I just went ahead and said screw it and flashed clockwork recovery- i think ill have to wait for the developers on OTAs now though)
If you want to access recovery from bootloader i think you have to have a custom recovery but that is interesting you could get into stock google recovery from rom manager.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I want to make sure I dont mess anything up now I want to make sure I understand how to flash CWR
I have downloaded it onto my computer (Clockwork recovery 5.5.0.4-toro.img)

I used the guide on "how to unlock bootloader and root " by Cyber Warrior ,and since most here on Android Central went by this guide fiqure I ask this question here ,lol.

My question is do I place the clockwork recovery 5.5.0.4 in the same superboot folder as the other files?
and flash it though command prompt on computer or how exactly do I flash the CWR 5.5.0.4.?

I read that I need to delete or rename the file in Root exployer "recovery-from-boot.p "and see that file in system of root exployer, understand that part clearly.

I just am not that clear on how to flash the CWR file (5.5.0.4-toro.img) yet and dont want to mess up what I have.
I plan on staying on stock Rom for awhile while I learn all this new stuff clearly.
Thanks for any and all info on how to do this .
I would like to make a backup of what I currently have

Edit issue resolved: I flashed CWR tho Rom Manager

Last edited:

Philip Ververis

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I use Samsung Tab E (T561) and I accidently installed a T560 firmware or however is called (cause I wanted to root it) and after connecting to Odin 3.10.7 it said RESET (and not PASS) and I see the tablet rebboting and 1-2 seconds after a red exclamation mark ... tried to reboot it but it doesn't work . My PC doesn't even detect the device it doesn't have any connection with odin or Samsung Smart Switch (which I've had already made a backup IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS , but it seems that my computer doesn't even detect the device . I have all the drivers installed etc...

HELP

Philip Ververis

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I use Samsung Tab E (T561) and I accidently installed a T560 firmware or however is called (cause I wanted to root it) and after connecting to Odin 3.10.7 it said RESET (and not PASS) and I see the tablet rebboting and 1-2 seconds after a red explanation mark ... tried to reboot it but it doesn't work . My PC doesn't even detect the device it doesn't have any connection with odin or Samsung Smart Switch (which I've had already made a backup IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS , but it seems that my computer doesn't even detect the device . I have all the drivers installed etc...