[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

how can i get to the root explorer if the phone keeps looping? and where would the root explorer be? sorry i'm not too good with tech talk

root explorer is an Android application and if your in a bootloop like myself you won't be able to use it. I'm wait to see if upstream is able to push the stock file which should get us out this loop.

Reactions: panitsos

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

ok ty i'll keep refreshing this page for any new good news lol

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

ok guys this is what i did and it worked!! i went back to recovery and wiped data and cache, rebooted the phone and its fine now

Trantzz

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

And for a question of my own. If i used this method to unlock the bootloader only, can I just skip to step 14 to root the phone or do I need to use another method to get root.

Was this answered? I have the bootloader unlocked but not rooted yet?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

When I go into recovery I don't have any options to wipe or any other options :(

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

When I go into recovery I don't have any options to wipe or any other options :(

If you are brave try this:

From the command prompt pointing to the folder with fastboot.exe, adb.exe and stock images:

Exact commands:

adb reboot bootloader
Gnex will then reboot into bootloader screen
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock
Use volume rocker to select ok and then Gnex will reboot.

You are now stock, locked and unrooted.

Kanged from Steady Hawkin.

The four files (boot, system, recovery, userdata) are located in the image-mysid-icl53f.zip after downloading from Google. Unzip them and place in folder that fastboot.exe is located in.

It also contaings a "flash-all.sh" which will allow you to flash them all with one command.

Command is in this thread as well as link to stock images: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...1360-factory-images-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

its very easy guys if its done the way i did it, i'm just trying to remember how i went to recovery and was able to pull up the wipe data screen

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Here is how I fixed my loop - I just locked the bootloader up and then followed the guide again and without pulling the battery this time it worked. Miami let me know if your still having issues.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

So first install the samsung drivers,then install the usb drivers too .
Then I make sure there are no errors in device manager with phone hook up to computer with USB ticked on phone.So it looks like the picture in the link (samsung drivers first link in OP)

After that is all checked out download superboot and follow the pictures and instructions til completed.Steps 1-15. I think I m correct on all that ,lol
I have 2 question more
I already did the update yesterday so I am on Androd version 4.0.2 so has anyone use this method while on 4.0.2? This one of my biggest concerns Im not sure of.

Also I may wait and see how everyone is getting out of the bootloop some are having ,I see what some did to get out of the bootloop ,but also see others dont have the same options to use (ex:wiped data and cache)

edit: ok I see some more posts since I started tying about bootloop question have been posted

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

You are correct in your steps and I unlocked/rooted on 4.0.2, I went in a bootloop because I pulled the battery instead of using the power button in the last step to turn the device on.

Reactions: davidnc

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

ok heres how you go to recovery and wipe. go to recovery screen but dont have your phone charging or anything for some reason it freezes it up. so when you are in recovery let it load up and you will see the android guy laying on his back, when you see that hold down the power button and the volume up button you should see blue lettering up top on the screen. go down to factory wipe then wipe cache and reboot it should be all set. it worked for me

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I'm guessing I was plugged in maybe that was my issue either way it's fixed.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I don't know if this is what's causing some people trouble, but the GN drivers listing in the OP are older and not the right ones to use. You can find the latest driver here:

Samsung

Until I downloaded and installed this, I had an error on my device in Device Manager.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Here is how I fixed my loop - I just locked the bootloader up and then followed the guide again and without pulling the battery this time it worked. Miami let me know if your still having issues.

how did you lock it?,, i managed to run commands using fastboot.exe... i wiped data and cache now stuck on flash lets see.. couldnt load the image dont know why

EDIT: phone started good after stuck in splash... If anyone wants to know how to wipe from fastboot let me know ill post a little guide

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

how did you lock it?,, i managed to run commands using fastboot.exe... i wiped data and cache now stuck on flash lets see.. couldnt load the image dont know why

cd C:/
cd root
fastboot-windows oem lock

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

phone is back up after stuck on splash ... i guess i learned today how to run cmds on fastboot

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Man this is frustrating. Every time I get the phone booted up in Bootloader mode, I loose my driver. If I'm watching device manager, it all looks good when my phone is running normal with no errors, then when I reboot into bootloader mode, my samsung device goes away and is replaced by a new "Other devices" device with Android 1.0 underneath and a yellow exclamation point. Why is going into bootlaoder wiping out my driver?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Follow the directions in the 7th post on page one and that should fix your divers.

Reactions: greydarrah

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Man this is frustrating. Every time I get the phone booted up in Bootloader mode, I loose my driver. If I'm watching device manager, it all looks good when my phone is running normal with no errors, then when I reboot into bootloader mode, my samsung device goes away and is replaced by a new "Other devices" device with Android 1.0 underneath and a yellow exclamation point. Why is going into bootlaoder wiping out my driver?

It is very frustrating. This got me stuck and many others. There are several solution on previous pages that looks like going into control panel, device manager, and updating that driver. You have to do it manually and find like hardware. Find the SAMSUNG device and select it. There should be some adb options, select one.

Just take a break and come back to it. You'll find it!

Edit: Mclarry beat me

Reactions: greydarrah