What You Will Find In This Guide
- How to unlock the bootloader & root using a PC
- How to unlock the bootloader & root using a MAC
- YouTube video tutorial
- How to root the 4.0.4 update
[INFO]For this method we are going to use Paul O'Briens Superboot.
Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
BEFORE WE BEGIN
This Guide is For Windows/PC Users (For Mac... See the end of the guide)
***** WARNING: Before you begin... Unlocking the bootloader wipes the entire phone, including the internal storage. So back up any pictures, videos, music, etc... to your computer before you begin. *****
NOW LETS GET STARTED
1) Extract the contents of the above zip file. (SUPERBOOT)
2) Open the r3-galaxynexus-superboot folder you just extracted and select all of the files. (Ctrl + A)
3) Right click to Copy the files.
4) Open the C: drive of your computer. Right click to create a new folder and name it "root". Open the folder and PASTE the files in it that you just copied.
5) Open Command Prompt from the start menu on your computer. Use the search field if you need to.
6) From your phone... go to > Settings > Developer Options > Turn on USB Debugging.
7) Power your device off.
8) Connect your phone to your computer.
9) Put the device into bootloader mode by holding down Vol Up + Vol Down + Power and release when you see this screen.
10) Go to the Command Prompt Window and type the following: (Hit enter after each line)
11) Unlock your bootloader by typing this: ***This Will Wipe Your Device | Make A Backup of Anything Important If You Need To***
fastboot-windows oem unlock
12) You should get a warning on your phone. Use the volume keys to select an option, and press the power button to confirm it. (Select YES )
13) Your bootloader should now say that it is unlocked at the bottom.
14) To root your device, go back to the root folder that you created earlier on your C: drive and double click:
[NOTE]14) To root the 4.0.4 update... continue here [/NOTE]
15) When completed... you should see this screen:
16) After seeing the Google unlock screen for a few minutes, your phone should eventually power itself back on. Don't freak out and think it's frozen... it may take a good 5-10 minutes to power up off of the Google screen. ***If the Google screen goes into a bootloop... Whatever you do.. DO NOT pull the battery immediately... it will soft brick the phone. Try unplugging the USB Cable or hold the power button until the phone powers on and off. If you do end up having to pull the battery... wait at least 5-10 minutes while on the Google screen before you do so*** (more info on troubleshooting this can be found in the first 7 pages.)
Congrats... You Are Now Rooted with an Unlocked Bootloader. Now go have some fun! CREDITS
SuperBoot: Paul O'Brien
Info: Evostance (XDA)
For MAC Users
The instructions are the same as for PC... you just need to change the command codes.
Replace the PC codes with the following:
Step 5 from above: Step 6 from above:
./fastboot-mac oem unlock
Also... From Step 9 above: Choose "install-superboot-mac.sh"
YouTube Video: Unlocking the bootloader and rooting from a MAC
[TIP]Common Facts & Questions[/TIP]
If you're having problems with the Drivers or the device not being recognized... Go to Device Manager on you computer and do the following.
* In fastboot mode, this is how your device may show up... with a yellow exclamation point (Unknown Device).
* Right click on the unknown device and select "Update driver software". Brings this up.... select "Browse my computer for driver software"
* That then brings up the following. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
* That then brings up the next step screen. scroll down until you see "SAMSUNG Android Phone". If you do not see this, you have not installed the driver.
* After selecting that, then select "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface".
* Then select "Yes" to update that driver.
DONE.. your device is now recognized in fastboot mode!