Does wireless tether work? Will I get 4G speeds? Root?

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
My decision to get the Nexus is entirely dependent upon this question. On day one, when I get the phone in the mail, will I be able to use it as a wireless hotspot without paying Verizon the ridiculous fee, just like I do now with my Incredible on CM7? I can deal without the nice notification power widget and having it baked into the ROM, and go back to using the WT app. That doesn't bother me. I just need to know if I will be able to root the phone, install wireless tether, and have it work.

Please, I've been through the forums searching for an answer, and I know all the "should" cases. I'm looking for someone who has already bought the phone, taken it home, and connected something to it wirelessly and pulled down 4G speeds without paying for something I already pay for.

I'm not looking for a moral argument on the merits of paying Verizon extra money to use my laptop to look at the same website on it rather than my phone. I live in the middle of nowhere and my phone is my sole source of connectivity.

So, in short;

Does tethering work right now?
Can you pull down 4G speeds?
Root required?
Is this mythical Verizon background service real?
Bonus points: Does PDANet work?

Thanks!

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the effort. Hope you figure something out. I get to upgrade on the 29th, so hopefully it's figured out by then. I could settle for PDANet, but that would mean no Xbox or Squeezebox.

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The wireless tether for root users is being fixed to accomodate the wifi hardware. I've been using PDAnet in the meantime.

Reactions: xaronax

holmes6

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried bluetooth in Opengarden and it was unsuccessful on the PC side when trying to connect. In the past on my Droid 2 I have used BT to work around various trouble with wifi in tethering apps.
Can confirm that easytether usb is working fine.

vpolyako

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i was about to return my galaxy nexus phone when I read this article and downloaded a free trial of wifi tethering app mentioned in this blog and it works fine. I have not rooted the phone. The question is now, if I buy this app, is it guaranteed to work in the future?

Also, what are the advantages to root the galaxy nexus phone other then to get wifi tethering to work? Can someone advise?

reactortrip

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i was about to return my galaxy nexus phone when I read this article and downloaded a free trial of wifi tethering app mentioned in this blog and it works fine. I have not rooted the phone. The question is now, if I buy this app, is it guaranteed to work in the future?

Also, what are the advantages to root the galaxy nexus phone other then to get wifi tethering to work? Can someone advise?

Verizon might find a way to block it with future updates to the phone.

You can use the phone backup apps and run custom roms.