Free wifi tether

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I would really like to know this as well. I just got my Nexus and I've rooted it (first time rooting). I had heard so much about rooting to be able to do free, undetectable wi-fi tethering...but I can't seem to find how. Is it just an app that I install? If so, which one is best to avoid Verizon's snooping?

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That is usually involved in a new Kernel to the phone to remove the monitoring. I am not sure any new Kernels have been released to remove that, YET.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, so just installing a wifi tether app from the market won't be enough then? Okay...guess I'll just keep waiting:(

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Rooted this morning and installed Wifi Tether and right now its a no go. I don't have any travelling plans right now so it's not a critical thing for me, but when I do travel I use the wifi tether and I'll have to have some sort of working tether, wired or unwired.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm traveling tomorrow=/ I had read somewhere that if you use something like Barnacle and don't use egregious amounts of data, they won't sniff you out. I'm on a capped data plan anyway, so it's not like I'd be hitting like 10GB or something...

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
wifi tether does not work. neither does barnicle at this point devs are working on it so hopefully we will see something by next year.

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
There are a ton of threads on this already. Right now none of the wifi tether applications work because the gnex uses the broadcom 4330 chip. There are devs working on the wifi tether for root users for a number of devices that use the broadcom so hopefully we'll have something soon.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I Picked my Nexus 4G today. Can I install this without rooting the phone?

It says this is an experimental version... so I'm not sure about compatibility with the NS4G but I would think that it would most likely work.

You're phone is still on Gingerbread... so just go to the android market and search for "wireless thether for root users" and use that version.... And yes you must be rooted to use this app.

Here's the android market browser link: https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether or just search the market from your phone.

EDIT......... sorry I thought you said Nexus S 4G.... yes you can use it but you must be rooted.

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for your help. I have been a blackberry user for 8 years. I enjoy this phone. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before rooting my device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781