Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reactortrip
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I be unlocked and rooted and still get OTA updates?

I'd like to know if it's possible to be unlocked and rooted but yet still be able to download and install OTA updates.

Thanks!

Default Re: Can I be unlocked and rooted and still get OTA updates?

yes, but I believe there's a chance you could lose root after an OTA so either wait to see if that's confirmed or be prepared to re-root if need be.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, we'll see what happens when 4.0.3 drops OTA. No biggie if I have to re-root though.

You probably won't for 4.03

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

ROM
    stock

You will probably lose root most of the time. A much easier method is just to wait until later in the day when someone releases a rooted version of the update, and then just flash that
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Noob question alert!

Would I flash it with fastboot command?

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

I unlocked & rooted mine as soon as I got it, and upon rebooting was prompted to install 4.02. I lost root after installing 4.02.

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by 105437 View Post
    Noob question alert!

Would I flash it with fastboot command?
    If you wanted to lose all your data, yes. This process specifically is done by flashing a zip through recovery, the same way that a normal OTA installs, so that you retain all your old data.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So I certainly wouldn't want to lose my data when flashing 4.0.3 or any future OS update. I'm going to need to do some reading on how to use the stock recovery on the Nexus. I used to use CWM on my Captivate. Are there pluses and minuses for using CWM instead of stock recovery?

Thanks!

So if we OTA and lose root, but already have boot unlocked, if we reroot using the superboot method will data be lost again?

So no way to OTA and not lose data? Just have to use clockwork and flash a rooted version to keep data?
    Andy769 likes this.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reactortrip View Post
    So if we OTA and lose root, but already have boot unlocked, if we reroot using the superboot method will data be lost again?

So no way to OTA and not lose data? Just have to use clockwork and flash a rooted version to keep data?
    I unlocked my bootloader and rooted as soon as I got home with my phone. Later that day I let it install the OTA update to 4.02, and lost root. Just re-ran the last step (in the sticky in this forum) to root the phone, and I have root back, no data lost. Make sure you only run the batch file for root, not the unlock command. Only the bootloader unlock portion wipes the phone.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Custom rom devs are very quick to adapt new updates. Actually, I think custom roms get the updates added quicker than OTA (sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
    I unlocked my bootloader and rooted as soon as I got home with my phone. Later that day I let it install the OTA update to 4.02, and lost root. Just re-ran the last step (in the sticky in this forum) to root the phone, and I have root back, no data lost. Make sure you only run the batch file for root, not the unlock command. Only the bootloader unlock portion wipes the phone.
    That's what I thought, as long as you didn't rerun the bootloader part, you were good to go with OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by qdroid View Post
    Custom rom devs are very quick to adapt new updates. Actually, I think custom roms get the updates added quicker than OTA (sometimes)
    I have had as much pros as cons with most custom roms. I have pretty much tried to stick to ones that kill off the bloatware and touch nothing else nowadays.

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

No. You probably won't lose data just by rerooting. Only lose everything when you unlock the bootloader. When you re root you would skip the bootloader unlocking step.
    But to quote from the book of Exasperated Ch. 19, vs 12. "Blessed are they who hath made backups, for they shall have peace. "

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I unlocked and rooted my phone before getting the 4.0.2 update, now when I'm prompted to update OTA it will begin updating and then I get the android error screen and the phone is stuck. How do I get the OTA to work? Thanks

i rooted my droid razr as soon as i got it i recieved the update an downlded it last nite but i havnt insta
    installed it cus i dnt wanna lose root access anyone kno wat i should do

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by 105437 View Post
    So I certainly wouldn't want to lose my data when flashing 4.0.3 or any future OS update. I'm going to need to do some reading on how to use the stock recovery on the Nexus. I used to use CWM on my Captivate. Are there pluses and minuses for using CWM instead of stock recovery?

Thanks!
    Stock recovery really can't do anything. CWM is what you use to flash things, make + restore backups, etc.

No, data will not be lost again if you OTA

Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg8 View Post
    I unlocked and rooted my phone before getting the 4.0.2 update, now when I'm prompted to update OTA it will begin updating and then I get the android error screen and the phone is stuck. How do I get the OTA to work? Thanks
    When you root, you're basically saying that you don't want to continue to get OTAs. They don't always work. Just flash a rooted version of the update.

Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

Just to clarify - I am unlocked but rooted running stock 4.0.2. Will I receive the OTA update or will I need to unroot to receive it OTA?

ROM
    SS 5.5/Stl Drd 8.0/PE 6.5

i'm not 100%, but pretty sure you will receive the OTA for 4.0.4.

like others have mentioned, tho, you will lose root if you accept the OTA. the easiest thing to do is install Voodoo Root Keeper from the market. it is designed to help you keep root even after installing an OTA.
    "You really know how to cover your arse Gillette, but those pants are a huge mistake." Fletch

Im new to android and i rooted last night (don't have a clue why as i don't even know what it does) i have a galaxy nexus and was wondering will i still be able to get OTA updates for Jelly Bean I've changed nothing on the phone the only thing thats changed is when you turn the phone on theres a little unlocked icon under the google sign

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Sean20 View Post
    Im new to android and i rooted last night (don't have a clue why as i don't even know what it does) i have a galaxy nexus and was wondering will i still be able to get OTA updates for Jelly Bean I've changed nothing on the phone the only thing thats changed is when you turn the phone on theres a little unlocked icon under the google sign
    Always great to ask these questions after you dive in and do things right? :sarcasm:

But yes, if you don't change the system you should still get OTA'S.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Make sure you don't have a custom recovery too, that screwed people up last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean20 View Post
    Im new to android and i rooted last night (don't have a clue why as i don't even know what it does)
    I'm not saying this to be mean, but you need to start learning things before modding your phone. Otherwise, you will end up with a paperweight. It really is extremely idiotic to start modding your phone if you don't even know what you're doing and why you're doing it.