[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

so i have gotten good at install ROMS and all the steps needed before doing so. if i use ROM Manager to install a room, does it clear the cache, dalvik cache, /system, etc. for me before installing the rom? Or is it still better to manually do that in Clockworkmod? I was just trying to find an easier way to make this process a little more automatic.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

ROM Manager will do it for you. Right before installing the ROM.. the app will ask you if you would like to wipe data/cache.

I still recommend using CWM Recovery manually though.

pma

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Greetings. I keep getting the red exclamation mark when I try to get into Recovery Mode.

I've followed Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.3 installation step-by-step without issue. Although changelog states "Changed the permanent root script to rename the "recover-from-boot.p" file to "recover-from-boot.p.bak" instead of just deleting it", I've installed Root Explorer and confirm that the file was not renamed. I renamed manually per instructions on page 2.

Also, ROM Manager shows that the current ClockworkMod Recovery is 5.5.0.4, and the instructions on page 2 state "this problem has been fixed with Koush's latest update to ROM Managers recovery. If your Recovery says " ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4" then you dont have to worry about the problem above".

I'm at a loss as to why I'm unable to get into Recovery Mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Greetings. I keep getting the red exclamation mark when I try to get into Recovery Mode.

I've followed Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.3 installation step-by-step without issue. Although changelog states "Changed the permanent root script to rename the "recover-from-boot.p" file to "recover-from-boot.p.bak" instead of just deleting it", I've installed Root Explorer and confirm that the file was not renamed. I renamed manually per instructions on page 2.

Also, ROM Manager shows that the current ClockworkMod Recovery is 5.5.0.4, and the instructions on page 2 state "this problem has been fixed with Koush's latest update to ROM Managers recovery. If your Recovery says " ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4" then you dont have to worry about the problem above".

I'm at a loss as to why I'm unable to get into Recovery Mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yea even with that version.. it still needs to be done. I need to update that. Koush said it was fixed but apparently people are still having the problem.

You need to follow the steps in the exact order making sure you also reboot the phone. Also double check that Root Explorer says "Read/Write" before you rename the file.

Reactions: pma

pma

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Yea even with that version.. it still needs to be done. I need to update that. Koush said it was fixed but apparently people are still having the problem.

You need to follow the steps in the exact order making sure you also reboot the phone. Also double check that Root Explorer says "Read/Write" before you rename the file.

Going back through the process I found that I had missed this crucial step: "ROM Manager and flash Recovery again". I had misread that as Reboot into Recovery. Gnex is now backing up. Thanks very much for your excellent guides!

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

i just cant seem to install a rom i tried a few. but tried winner00 CM9 kang blue soft keys 012912 multiple times. and just had to restore back to stock backup everytime. each time i lost my soft keys. just not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. ill be happy with just my soft keys blue

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

i just cant seem to install a rom i tried a few. but tried winner00 CM9 kang blue soft keys 012912 multiple times. and just had to restore back to stock backup everytime. each time i lost my soft keys. just not sure what im doing wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated. ill be happy with just my soft keys blue

Can you copy and paste the links for what you're trying to install? From what it sounds like... you are trying to install a ROM modification (different color softkeys) without installing an actual ROM. That or the software key modification is not compatible with the ROM you are using.

If you could copy and paste the link to the ROM you're using and also copy and paste the link for the softkey modification that you want to use... then I can help you figure out what's going wrong.

Are you using an actual ROM or did you just flash the softkey mod over the stock ROM?

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you copy and paste the links for what you're trying to install? From what it sounds like... you are trying to install a ROM modification (different color softkeys) without installing an actual ROM. That or the software key modification is not compatible with the ROM you are using.

If you could copy and paste the link to the ROM you're using and also copy and paste the link for the softkey modification that you want to use... then I can help you figure out what's going wrong.

Are you using an actual ROM or did you just flash the softkey mod over the stock ROM?

I'm on stock rom im just unlocked and rooted. The winner00 rom I was trying to flash is from Rom manager. I don't know if it was a rom or a soft key mod. I thought it was whole rom with cm9 and blue soft keys. I can't figure out how to paste the links from Rom manager. Thanks so much

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm on stock rom im just unlocked and rooted. The winner00 rom I was trying to flash is from Rom manager. I don't know if it was a rom or a soft key mod. I thought it was whole rom with cm9 and blue soft keys. I can't figure out how to paste the links from Rom manager. Thanks so much

Okay... I see what you did. You shouldn't really use ROM Manager to download ROMs... it can cause problems. Use the threads in the forums and then go to the developers home page where he explains what's involved, what's needed and provides the downloads that you need.

You only downloaded a modification for the soft keys. That needs to be installed over the ROM that goes to it. You can't flash it over the stock ROM. You would need all three files in ROM Manager. The first one is a soft key mod. The second one under it is the actual ROM and the third file under that is the Gapps (Google apps)

You would need to first flash the ROM.. then right after flash the Gapps (only wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)... then reboot the phone and flash the soft key mod (wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)

I'd recommend flashing either Codename, AOKP or Bugless Beast. They're the most popular and stable ROMs out. You can find the info and download links in the forums.

Here..
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-codename-android-1-2-0-full-open-source.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...east-vzw-galaxy-nexus-updated-2-2-2012-a.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...cks/150342-rom-android-open-kang-project.html

Reactions: BayRican

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay... I see what you did. You shouldn't really use ROM Manager to download ROMs... it can cause problems. Use the threads in the forums and then go to the developers home page where he explains what's involved, what's needed and provides the downloads that you need.

You only downloaded a modification for the soft keys. That needs to be installed over the ROM that goes to it. You can't flash it over the stock ROM. You would need all three files in ROM Manager. The first one is a soft key mod. The second one under it is the actual ROM and the third file under that is the Gapps (Google apps)

You would need to first flash the ROM.. then right after flash the Gapps (only wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)... then reboot the phone and flash the soft key mod (wipe dalvik/cache No data wipe)

I'd recommend flashing either Codename, AOKP or Bugless Beast. They're the most popular and stable ROMs out. You can find the info and download links in the forums.

Here..
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-codename-android-1-2-0-full-open-source.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...east-vzw-galaxy-nexus-updated-2-2-2012-a.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...cks/150342-rom-android-open-kang-project.html

Thanks for all the help. I was going crazy I can't even concentrate at work. Ha ha I will be checking out codename thanks for the links.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for all the help. I was going crazy I can't even concentrate at work. Ha ha I will be checking out codename thanks for the links.

Yea not sure about bugless beast... never tried it... but with Codename and AOKP the soft key mods are built into the ROMs settings amongst other great features.

Basically what you need to do is:
Go to the main page of the developers ROM (its in the first post of the links I gave you)
Download the latest version of the Codename ROM and download the Gapps (Google apps... Gmail, Gtalk, Google +, etc..)
Boot into Recovery through ROM Manager
Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik
Go to Install from SD Card and choose the Codename ROM

After it is installed.... and you're still in Recovery
Wipe cache, Wipe Dalvik (No Data Wipe)
Go to install from SD Card and install the Gapps zip file
Once that's done... reboot your phone and you're all set to go. The ROM has pretty much every single kind of built in modification that you can think of built right into the settings.

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea not sure about bugless beast... never tried it... but with Codename and AOKP the soft key mods are built into the ROMs settings amongst other great features.

Go to the main page of the developers ROM (its in the first post of the links I gave you)
Download the latest version of the Codename ROM and download the Gapps (Google apps... Gmail, Gtalk, Google +, etc..)

Once that's done... reboot your phone and you're all set to go. The ROM has pretty much every single kind of built in modification that you can think of built right into the settings.

Your awesomeThank you I will try this when I get home.

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Worked perfectly I'm now running codename with Gapps. Im loving it Just didn't get the blue soft keys. Thanks again Cyber Warrior.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Worked perfectly I'm now running codename with Gapps. Im loving it Just didn't get the blue soft keys. Thanks again Cyber Warrior.

Go into the phones settings... codename settings... on-screen controls... on-screen control color. You can change the keys to whatever color you want. Browse through the codename settings... there's alot that you can do :)

BayRican

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Go into the phones settings... codename settings... on-screen controls... on-screen control color. You can change the keys to whatever color you want. Browse through the codename settings... there's alot that you can do :)

Thanks wow so many options. Now its perfect.

llocknload

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Help! I wiped data. wiped cache. wiped dalvik.

I went to install zip from sd card and hit the power button to select. It did not bring up the list of ROMs on the sd, however my screen now shows the android standing upright with a blue 3D octagon shape spinning.

No menus. Not sure what to do. I dont want to pull the battery and end up messing up the phone real bad.

Saw a message that said "back menu button disabled".

I'm not using the touch based CWM recovery.

EDIT: Pressing the power button gave me a menu back. scrolling down through the menu (so that it went back to the top), re-enabled the back menu button. and then I was able to proceed normally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith