[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Frank:

There are a variety of tools to simplify the restore process. They are using a custom launcher (and thus saving your homescreen(s) setup and icons), Titanium Backup (which allows you to restore individual app data, but do not restore system data!), the SMS backup app (which restores your texts), and AOKP backup app (which lets you save your AOKP configuration).

Some are free, some are not, but all are helpful in easing this process.

Thanks. I am not that concerned about homescreen setup as I know as I move amongst ROMs they were need to be changed. And I really don't care about the messages/SMS, only mail, calendar and contacts but all synced with google so that is a piece of cake.... It is just the programs and the tweaking for each. I do have the paid version of Titanium Backup so I will read up on how to do a 'batch' save and install.

Frank

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Radio fix? I haven't seen one. I do know you can flash different radio packages. Check out zero neck's thread in this forum--he has a bunch of different radio packages with instructions on how to install them.

Yes, that is what I meant to say. The threads were giving me the impression that without them I would be very disappointed on performance (phone and 4G). Is that true? I hate adding other party software onto a custom ROM. If it was that good, I would expect that it would be merged in....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes, that is what I meant to say. The threads were giving me the impression that without them I would be very disappointed on performance (phone and 4G). Is that true? I hate adding other party software onto a custom ROM. If it was that good, I would expect that it would be merged in....

Well how about this...go to your About Phone under Settings and tell me what's under "baseband." If it's not FC## for the radios (there will be two of them), go to zero neck's thread and flash the IMM76K radio package. Those are the latest and greatest.

The flash is simple ==> download the file onto your SDcard, reboot into recovery, and flash it. It's a script written by a cat named DroidTheory and it works miracles.

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Well how about this...go to your About Phone under Settings and tell me what's under "baseband." If it's not FC## for the radios (there will be two of them), go to zero neck's thread and flash the IMM76K radio package. Those are the latest and greatest.

1515.09 V.Fc04 /1515.FC05 with a build of IMM76K...

Looks like they are good, but won't they get changed with the ROM change?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

1515.09 V.Fc04 /1515.FC05 with a build of IMM76K...

Looks like they are good, but won't they get changed with the ROM change?

Nope. Radios are separate and are rarely, if ever included in a rom.

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Radios are separate and are rarely, if ever included in a rom.

OK. And thanks! I will be checking out the ROMs tomorrow. Too late tonight to play with them. Appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Frank

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

OK. And thanks! I will be checking out the ROMs tomorrow. Too late tonight to play with them. Appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Frank

No problemo. Enjoy and keep us posted!

Promoman89

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Hoping you guys can help me out. I am trying to follow this method to make a nanodroid so I can put Jelly bean on my nexus. I just got done rooting and waiting for all of my apps to re-download. I then went into Rom Manager to go into Reboot into Recovery. When I press on it my phone freezes for a few seconds and goes right back to the Rom Manager home screen. I've checked my bootloader and it says unlocked, but I'm totally at a loss of what is going on. I'm going to download wugs kit just to double check, but in the meantime any suggestions?

***edit*** this was a driver issue and an XP issue... why windows media player has anything to do with phone drivers I have no idea...

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Hoping you guys can help me out. I am trying to follow this method to make a nanodroid so I can put Jelly bean on my nexus. I just got done rooting and waiting for all of my apps to re-download. I then went into Rom Manager to go into Reboot into Recovery. When I press on it my phone freezes for a few seconds and goes right back to the Rom Manager home screen. I've checked my bootloader and it says unlocked, but I'm totally at a loss of what is going on. I'm going to download wugs kit just to double check, but in the meantime any suggestions?

I'm assuming you did the very first step of flashing ClockworkMod Recovery right? Inside the app, does it say "clockworkmod recovery version 1234 installed"?

Try manually booting into recovery and let me know what happens:
Power off your phone. Once the phone is turned off, Hold volume down + volume up + the power button at the same time until the phone starts up in Fast Boot. Use the volume keys to choose Recovery and press the power button to select it. The phone will boot you into ClockworkMod Recovery the same way ROM Manager would have.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Go to the bootloader. Use the volume toggle to find recovery mode. Press power.

What happens?

Sent from Oliver, my Nuclear-Powered, Orb-Shaped Candy Device.

jaqu

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

If you mean before you unlock the bootloader... then you would need to transfer your stuff over to your computer. There's no externel SD card but when you hook the phone up to the computer... the internal storage is recognized as a disc drive, same as a SD card would.

first of all, thank you for this guide and your help in answering questions. if you don't mind, i've got a noob question for you...

went from OG Droid to GNex and unlocked, rooted right out of box. i never considered the differences between virtual SD and removable SD in terms of backing up because i was factory wiping essentially nothing.

with news of JB source release, i'm now planning to flash a custom JB ROM but am running into an issue backing up the entire SD. with the phone connected to computer via usb, i right click/properties of "internal storage" and see a certain amount of file space in use. independently, i confirm this number when using root explorer on my phone.

however, when i explore the internal storage from the computer and highlight all files and folders inside then right click/properties, i'm seeing roughly 600MB missing. folder options are set to show hidden files/folders.

just wondering what exactly is being hidden from windows explorer and if it's ok to simply not back this up? everything else that is visible to me i have backed up.

also, if the hidden files are worth me backing up, how would i go about doing that?

thanks again!

jaqu

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

do i even need to backup the entire SD to my computer as insurance for flashing a ROM? if i did a nandroid backup of my current rom and either ran into issues or disliked the custom rom, couldn't i just restore/flash the nandroid backup of the previous rom?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

do i even need to backup the entire SD to my computer as insurance for flashing a ROM? if i did a nandroid backup of my current rom and either ran into issues or disliked the custom rom, couldn't i just restore/flash the nandroid backup of the previous rom?

if something goes wrong with what you're flashing you could lose what's on your sd card. nandroid backups don't save your sd card. so to be on the extra safe side, you want to back up your sd card (pics etc) if you can't afford to lose them.

InclusionInnovates

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

How long to you wait, after you install ROM through ROM Manager and Reboot? My Verizon Galaxy Nexus has been stuck on lock screen for 15 minutes.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

It should only take a few minutes.. you should be manually flashing ROMs through ClockworkMod Recovery as illustrated in the guide.. using ROM Manager is known to cause issues once in a while.

Which ROM are you trying to flash and did you create a nandroid backup before you messed with anything?

jaqu

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

if something goes wrong with what you're flashing you could lose what's on your sd card. nandroid backups don't save your sd card. so to be on the extra safe side, you want to back up your sd card (pics etc) if you can't afford to lose them.

I figured I should back up the SD just to be on the safe side. That's what brought me to the initial question, though.. why doesn't windows explorer show me the entire contents of the SD (roughly 600MB difference), and is that "hidden" data even worth backing up?

note: I successfully clean flashed a 4.1.1 JB ROM earlier this week thanks in part to this guide/thread. Android community is awesome. Thanks, all!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I figured I should back up the SD just to be on the safe side. That's what brought me to the initial question, though.. why doesn't windows explorer show me the entire contents of the SD (roughly 600MB difference), and is that "hidden" data even worth backing up?

note: I successfully clean flashed a 4.1.1 JB ROM earlier this week thanks in part to this guide/thread. Android community is awesome. Thanks, all!

Yeah you're fine... any storage device will never have its full capacity showing. A 32GB sd card will only show around 29GB or so... a 500GB hard drive will only show around 498GB of available space... These numbers are only estimates but just trying to say that any drive will never show its full capacity.. they're will always be space missing that's used by the storage device for communicating with the device its operating.. so if you're only missing a few megabytes then that is perfectly normal... you're not missing any important files that would need backing up.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

This is hands down the best step by step for someone new to Root! After unlocking and rooting my nexus using WUGFresh toolkit. I was able in flash Vicious Jelly Bean by using this step by step in under 15 min! its the first ROM I have ever flash on my nexus and I couldn’t be any happier. TAHNK YOU Cyber Warrior! I do have one question. Should I back up my current ROM (Vicious Jelly Bean) using ROM Manager?

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

This is hands down the best step by step for someone new to Root! After unlocking and rooting my nexus using WUGFresh toolkit. I was able in flash Vicious Jelly Bean by using this step by step in under 15 min! its the first ROM I have ever flash on my nexus and I couldn?t be any happier. TAHNK YOU Cyber Warrior! I do have one question. Should I back up my current ROM (Vicious Jelly Bean) using ROM Manager?

Cool thanks.. glad it helped you.
You can do it either way when it comes to backing up.. both will take you into CWM Recovery. I only suggest not using ROM Manager for downloading and flashing anything straight from the app because it sometimes causes issues due to bad downloads.

Two options:
Use ROM Manager to create the backup.. the one plus side of doing it this way is ROM Manager gives you the option to name the backup so it becomes easier to find if you have multiple backups of different ROMs.. it will keep you more organized naming each backup instead of using the default date/time that it creates.

Or

You can boot into recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually using volume up + volume down + power button while the phone is off.. this is obviously the long way) and create the backup from there.. only downside is you wont have the option of renaming the file before you create the backup.. but, you can always rename it later on from a file managing app like Astro File Manager (which is a great free app to own)

I personally did things the long way, not sure why LOL.. I would boot into recovery through ROM Managers app, create the backup, then later on I would use Astro to rename the file so I knew what was what.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Cool thanks.. glad it helped you.
You can do it either way when it comes to backing up.. both will take you into CWM Recovery. I only suggest not using ROM Manager for downloading and flashing anything straight from the app because it sometimes causes issues due to bad downloads.

Two options:
Use ROM Manager to create the backup.. the one plus side of doing it this way is ROM Manager gives you the option to name the backup so it becomes easier to find if you have multiple backups of different ROMs.. it will keep you more organized naming each backup instead of using the default date/time that it creates.

Or

You can boot into recovery (either from ROM Manager or manually using volume up + volume down + power button while the phone is off.. this is obviously the long way) and create the backup from there.. only downside is you wont have the option of renaming the file before you create the backup.. but, you can always rename it later on from a file managing app like Astro File Manager (which is a great free app to own)

I personally did things the long way, not sure why LOL.. I would boot into recovery through ROM Managers app, create the backup, then later on I would use Astro to rename the file so I knew what was what.

Thanks again! I'll back up the ROM when i get home! Could i also use, Back up current ROM listed in the app? Or just do it through Recovery?