[ROM][AOSP][10/31][JB] Bugless Beast VZW Galaxy Nexus

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
This isn't my work. Just mirroring this thread for Pete (with his permission) to help support his work.

Bugless Beast ROM is well known on many other devices including the OG Droid, Nexus S and a few others. For those that aren't familiar with this ROM it's fast, very fast. Pete tends to focus on performance before features so you won't see bells and whistles like you see on CM7 (or 9) and AKOP but you will get a crazy fast, stable ROM.

Links
Bugless Beast Toro (Verizon Galaxy Nexus) Download Page (Scroll to the bottom for the Jelly Bean versions) Pete lost his hosing and the files stored there. We managed to get two versions, the latest and a previous one and mirror them for folks. If people have others feel free to PM me a link and I'll add them. Mirror www.digitalslackers.com - /bb/TORO/ROM/JELLYBEAN/ 10-10-2012 - MD5 - 45eab5c71f78ad04ed946e2ae4787282 10-31-2012 - MD5 - dbd12b072420966679a800d7c1edf1db Official Support Thread on RootzWiki - This is the thread you should post questions regarding bugs or problems with builds. We want to help Pete improve this awesome ROM but he has stated the only thread he's checking for support will be the one at RootzWiki. Changes & Updates Pete's GitHub Profile w/ Full Changelog

Features
  • AOSP 4.1.2
  • No "Bloat"
  • Tethering
  • Wallet
  • Stable
  • Fast
  • Clean
  • Butter!
  • Stock Kernel
  • My VZW App works

FAQ
Do I need to be rooted to install this? Yes, check out one of the stickies in this forum about how to do that. Do I need to wipe my data (factory reset) if I'm coming from another ROM or stock? Yes, If you are coming from another ROM or stock you need to wipe the device before you install it. Do I need to wipe my data (factory reset) if I'm updating to a newer version of Bugless? Not usually. It's generally suggested that you first format system, then install the ROM, then wipe Dalvik. Do I need to flash GApps separately from Bugless Beast? No, GApps is included in the ROM. I installed Bugless Beast but I'm stuck at the colored X boot screen or I'm bootlooping, what do I do?! Give it time, the first boot after an install can take a while, 10 minutes sometimes. If after 30 minutes the ROM still won't boot go back into recovery. wipe cache partition > Yes > Go Back > reboot system now. If that still doesn't work go back into recovery. wipe data/factory reset (you'll lose your data so hopefully you have a backup) > Yes > Go Back > reboot system now. If that still doesn't work, post in this thread and someone will help. I thought Bugless was supposed to have great battery life, my battery life has been horrible since I flashed it. Backing up, Flashing, rebuilding caches, syncing up with the cloud, etc. all happen in the install process and those things all use battery life. It can also take a few charge cycles to get 'real' battery life. Charge up the device and give it a few days. How often is Bugless Beast updated? In short, when it needs to be and when Pete has time. Typically when major updates hit AOSP we will see an update within a few days. For minor updates to AOSP you'll see a few updates a month.

INSTALL
This is the method I use and it seems to work well for me but it's perfectly fine to adapt it as you see fit.
  1. Download the ROM from the link above
  2. Copy the ROM to your SDCard
  3. Reboot the device into your recovery of choice, I'm assuming CWM in the below steps.
  4. (optional but recommended) Backup your current ROM backup and restore > backup
  5. mounts and storage > format /system > Yes > Go Back
  6. (optional) If the last ROM you were running wasn't Bugless Beast, wipe data/factory reset > Yes > Go Back
  7. install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > pick the folder you saved the ROM in > select the zip file > Yes > Go Back
  8. (optional) Using the same method in the previous step, flash any other zip files you need. Custom kernels, mods, etc. You don't need to flash GApps
  9. advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes > Go Back
  10. Reboot System Now
Let the ROM settle for 30 min to an hour. It takes a while for the cache to rebuild and things to stabilize. Some people suggest waiting until the ROM settles before installing a kernel.

Thanks to Pete for all this hard, consistent work on both this device and in the rest of the Android Community.

Last edited:

sunjay118

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Bugless Beast for Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Toro)

Agreed. I went from an OG to Galaxy Nexus and have used Pete's ROMs throughout especially at the en of my OG's life when CM7 just got too heavy for it. I flashed his rom last night and only had one issue (couldn't open google wallet). Granted these are nightlies so i'm sure a fix is on the way. Unfortunatly I had to revert to a back up while trying to sort out a volume issue but I will definitly be going back to Bugless Beast once that is all sorted out.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. I went from an OG to Galaxy Nexus and have used Pete's ROMs throughout especially at the en of my OG's life when CM7 just got too heavy for it. I flashed his rom last night and only had one issue (couldn't open google wallet). Granted these are nightlies so i'm sure a fix is on the way. Unfortunatly I had to revert to a back up while trying to sort out a volume issue but I will definitly be going back to Bugless Beast once that is all sorted out.

Make sure you are on 12/20, 12/19 had a few issues but all seem fixed. .

I can't get Wallet to work on 12/20 but haven't seen any volume issues yet.

It's damn good for being the second nightly.

dude9000

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been following pete since the first bugless beast. Woohoo!
I'm going to unlock tonight if I get a chance. I always used his ROMS to get super fast vanilla on my OG..
I already have super fast vanilla, so I guess I'm going to do this just because I can ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sunjay118

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you are on 12/20, 12/19 had a few issues but all seem fixed. .

I can't get Wallet to work on 12/20 but haven't seen any volume issues yet.

It's damn good for being the second nightly.

I am sure i was running 12/20 I specifically checked. The volume issue i don't believe is the ROM's fault. the thread here details the issue. You're right though very polished for how recent it is.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I saw his release earlier. I've been kicking around the idea of flashing it all day today. In fact, several times today while sitting here at work, I almost did it. But I do keep talking myself out of it given that I seem to be one of the lucky few who doesn't feel like I need a bug-fix update just yet. I'm pretty satisfied with 4.0.2

dude9000

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I saw his release earlier. I've been kicking around the idea of flashing it all day today. In fact, several times today while sitting here at work, I almost did it. But I do keep talking myself out of it given that I seem to be one of the lucky few who doesn't feel like I need a bug-fix update just yet. I'm pretty satisfied with 4.0.2

Same here

cizzlen

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Bugless Beast for Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Toro) - 12/21/2

I'm so excited about the development for this phone. Can't wait for the official Bugless Beast. I nostalgia'd hardcore at reading this thread :D !!!

bmkindoll#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm running 12/21. Its ridiculously fast. The camera opens up SO much faster from the lockscreen. And page to page swiping is surprisingly faster.

And PS, with the 12/21, Google Wallet still doesnt work. :(

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

How is this? Never used any of his roms but have heard really good things about them. Anyone have a comparison to Revolution?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I missed Peat and the beast too....sahweet.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

How is this? Never used any of his roms but have heard really good things about them. Anyone have a comparison to Revolution?

I've used both and right now I can't say there are any significant differences. Pete's stuff just seems a little faster to me.

omniphil

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM] Bugless Beast for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Updated - 12/22/

From the changelog... "Toro: Use correct battery capacity (1850)"

What about if we have the 2100mah battery?

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Looks like Pete released another update today. Going to give it a shot!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm currently running Axiom 2.3. If I want to try this ROM, all I need to do is wipe data and install the latest version of Bugless, correct? I just wanted to make sure I don't need go back to stock before flashing.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I'm currently running Axiom 2.3. If I want to try this ROM, all I need to do is wipe data and install the latest version of Bugless, correct? I just wanted to make sure I don't need go back to stock before flashing.

No need to go back to stock. Just do the wipe and follows Pete's instructions. I dl the rom from clockwork and had no issues. Google wallet working too in the new build.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: greydarrah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz