Phone died and won't charge?

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Okay, you are a genius. My phone was dead so I put it on the charger but it wouldnt charge. I could turn it on, but then it would power right back off. I tried everything that you did, I even tried taking the sim card and battery out, I just never thought of pressing the power button while it was out! Thank you.!!:)

estods3

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I have heard if you pull out the battery and then hold the power button for 10 plus seconds it will relieve static electricity or charge or something like that. Then out the battery back in and try again. Reply back if that works. I don't know if it will work though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable! Wow....I'm sitting here with a replacement phone trying to return my previous phone to stock and accidentally ran across this thread. I can't believe my phone is charging. THANK YOU!

Oops....it stopped charging again. Time to restore the phone back to stock.

djbchill

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone just died. I tried all of the above methods however I'm having no success in getting my phone to boot up, charge up or turn on. :mad: If I had hair I'd be pulling it out right now!!!

JPBeard21

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue, I solved by getting into bootloader mode, I suppose Odin mode would work as well, and letting it sit on the charger about 30 minutes. By then it finally had power enough to boot into twrp and I allowed it to charge in recovery until I could boot. But strange thing is it wouldn't boot, hung on Google logo. I had to restore the boot partition from a nandroid. All good now but wtf?

Drew Finley

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So, today my phone died and when I got home I tried plugging it in, it didn't charge. I left it there for 2 hours and when I came back still nothing, so I tried several different chargers and even plugged my phone into the computer using USB. I tried turning on the phone while it was "charging" and it popped up "LG" then turned off... Nothing is working and I know its not the charger being the problem. I think its the battery but I don't know.. Any advice to try and get it to charge? All help available is wanted. Thanks!:)

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
First of all, you need to make sure it's not a SOD (screen of Death/Darkness) where the phone is actually running but it the screen won't wake. If you do a battery pull and then it reboots, then it's likely you have a SOD situation. If the phone is in a SOD state and you plug it in, it will charge, but still appear dead, leading you to believe it's not charging. That's why the first thing you should do is a battery pull.

Other than that, you can try a different battery or see if that battery will charge in another phone. If it turns our you have a bad USB port, you can try the Touchstone MOD listed below. It won't fix a broken USB port, but it will charge your phone.

mikmik_17

May 20, 2013
Visit site
hello i'm charging my phone but when charging it,it switched off automatically and when i was going to open it it says that my phone is lowbatt so i charged it but when i charged it, it wouldn't charge.So what do you think is the problem?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your USB cord and charger are working properly buy using them an another phone or device. If that checks out, try a different battery.

manuthegr8

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys,

This happened to me as well and I got it working again.

I went to bed and when I woke up I turned my phone on but the unlock screen was unresponsive. I pressed and held the power button and I felt it vibrate which normally happens when you are presented with the power down options, however nothing came on the screen, it was still at the lock slider. So I did a battery pull, reset it, checked a web page and then went back to bed. When I woke up again, there was nothing but a black screen and pressing the power button did nothing.

I figured maybe the battery had fully discharged. I plugged it into the wall with the supplied charger for a few minutes, nothing. Plugged it into the computer with the supplied USB cable, nothing. Plugged it into the wall using my Blackberry charger, nothing. Tried doing all of the volume + power button combos while plugged in, nothing. Tried battery pull and still nothing.

To get it working again I unplugged it from the USB and then took out battery and the SIM card. While the battery and SIM were out I held the power button down for 10 seconds, thinking that there might be some built up power/static that needed to be discharged. I replaced the SIM card and battery and as soon as I plugged the USB cable in, the battery charging symbol appeared. Left it for a few minutes and then pressed power and voila, it was back.

Now, as I said before I thought that maybe the battery had fully discharged... However upon powering up my battery was at 45% Very weird.

Anyways, that's my story. Maybe my idea of holding the power button with the battery and SIM card out had an effect, maybe not, I don't know. But if you find yourself in this situation I'd say that it's worth a shot.

its temporary or alternate solution.
Its barley simple, rather than to go for another ifs and buts, press this button for 10 seconds or so on....
its simple, just get the battery out and put it again and press the power button, it will work... actually I am looking for the actual problem and solution. Please share if any one has any other permanent solution.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you drain a lithium ion completely dead (almost impossible due to the cut off built in) the battery cell will die and basically you can hook it to a car battery and it wont work lithium ions are tricky bastards if your rooted and running twrp know this there is a non off charging error you need a script for your device to patch it but basically once it hits the 10% shut off if not on the battery wont charge if its getting hot and not holding a charge then replace it immediately!! Thing could blow up if it has a ruptured cell im not joking look it up

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Jannyck

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Manuthegr8 Just wanted to say thank you so much for this post! My battery died hours ago and I had no red led light on it and it would not power up after charging. I have spent hours searching blackberry forums for a solution all to no avail...until...your post...removed battery, removed sim, held down power button for 10 seconds like you said (holding my breath all the while!!!) replaced sim and battery and I have never been so happy to see that red light, red light went out and I thought uh oh, pressed power on and up came the blackberry bar! Aaaand the familiar o2 sign and now the familiar clock has appeared as we speak...beep...beep...beep Brilliant thank you for taking the time to write your post to help us all. :)

dkgirl

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my LG phone dying. I have been charging it for 2days now. I read your solution and figured it was worth a try. I pulled the battery out and sim card and pressed the power button for ten seconds. I put the sim card back in and battery and pressed the power button and success. I was at 4% even though I had it charging for 2 days. I thought I lost everything, but with your help I am back and running.
Thanks So Much

Andrew Yonkie

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hey Guys,

This happened to me as well and I got it working again.

I went to bed and when I woke up I turned my phone on but the unlock screen was unresponsive. I pressed and held the power button and I felt it vibrate which normally happens when you are presented with the power down options, however nothing came on the screen, it was still at the lock slider. So I did a battery pull, reset it, checked a web page and then went back to bed. When I woke up again, there was nothing but a black screen and pressing the power button did nothing.

I figured maybe the battery had fully discharged. I plugged it into the wall with the supplied charger for a few minutes, nothing. Plugged it into the computer with the supplied USB cable, nothing. Plugged it into the wall using my Blackberry charger, nothing. Tried doing all of the volume + power button combos while plugged in, nothing. Tried battery pull and still nothing.

To get it working again I unplugged it from the USB and then took out battery and the SIM card. While the battery and SIM were out I held the power button down for 10 seconds, thinking that there might be some built up power/static that needed to be discharged. I replaced the SIM card and battery and as soon as I plugged the USB cable in, the battery charging symbol appeared. Left it for a few minutes and then pressed power and voila, it was back.

Now, as I said before I thought that maybe the battery had fully discharged... However upon powering up my battery was at 45% Very weird.

Anyways, that's my story. Maybe my idea of holding the power button with the battery and SIM card out had an effect, maybe not, I don't know. But if you find yourself in this situation I'd say that it's worth a shot.

Had the same problem, tried your suggestion, and my phone still wouldn't turn on (I have a Galaxy Ace 2)
Maybe it's my battery that's completely dead. Gonna change to a new one and test it out.

Economister

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
RE: Nordic Ninja
I went through all the trouble of signing up to post this: This worked for my S5! I'm so glad you thought of it because I was in the same boat: no combination of holding or pressing buttons would turn the phone on. And when I finally got the thing to turn on, the battery was at 95%! Thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech