Root and Google updates

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Your answer is YES.

You only loose the ability to get updates when you flash a ROM. But you also root primarily to flash a ROM. Some apps require root access, for example ROM Manager. If you want to make recovery images you will need root access.

Bottom line, if you are happy with your phone in its stock state then stay where you are. The main purpose for rooting is to flash ROMs and get the most out of your phone.

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I imagine the custom ROMs will check out the OTA updates and pull out the best parts and put them into the next version of their custom ROM. So I imagine you'll get the best parts of the OTA update even if you flash the custom ROM. I assume that is correct, right?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I imagine the custom ROMs will check out the OTA updates and pull out the best parts and put them into the next version of their custom ROM. So I imagine you'll get the best parts of the OTA update even if you flash the custom ROM. I assume that is correct, right?

Yes, absolutely. More than likely any update will be LEAKED first and all the devs will jump on it. We will see a flashable zip ready before most even receive the update. Its a mute point really.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. More than likely any update will be LEAKED first and all the devs will jump on it. We will see a flashable zip ready before most even receive the update. Its a mute point really.

Its actually a "moot" point...LOL.

Just playin' around :p

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I herd that if you put clockwork on that you will get the update but it will fail. But if you just root and do not have clockwork on your phone then you are good to go. Clockwork will get rid of your phones stock recovery and you heed that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol