Opinions on your current rom/kernel

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Since there are so many choices now for roms and kernels, I thought a thread on everyone's opinion of what you are running on your Galaxy Nexus would be fun.The choices are staggering, with wookie and liquid coming to us recently along with all the others.

I started my custom rom journey on gummy for a couple of releases, then moved on to zygot3. Now I am using rootzboat and am really satisfied with it. There aren't the 3 in one day updates, and the upcoming changes in the update coming imminently have me excited. I can't tell you exactly why I have settled on this rom as gummy and zygot/axiom are fine roms.

As for kernels, in the past week, I have flashed Imoseyons lean kernel, heyitslou's defiant kernel, franco's kernel and am now on faux123's kernel. They are hard to tell the difference with as my setcpu settings are the same on each kernel. Just changing them just to say I have a new kernel has alot to do with it. :p

So lets hear your comments on your rom/kernel and what you like about it.

Reactions: zero neck

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Overall I'm pretty happy - but I'd like MoDaCo's ROM to support the VZW model.

It's a simple deodexed ROM with power screen and softkey mods found here with MoDaCo's kernel supporting USB host mode found here. The only thing left to try to get working is a better battery indicator (the CircleMod flavors don't seem to be compatible with my setup).

That or just wait for a stable CM9, of course. ;)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Axiom 2.2 and have been very happy with it. Smooth, bug free (at least as I use my phone) and fast. Unfortunately, I have not run any other ROMs for a comparison, so I think the idea of this thread is a great one.

Since you brought it up in your OP, tell me a little about kernel flashing. Like what is the kernel, where do you get different ones, will any kernel work on any ROM, and finally, is flashing one like flashing a MOD (no data wipe, just cache and dalvik)?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
grey:

Look on the development section of rootzwiki, they have most of them there.

Most all the custom roms out now except for revolution are 4.0.3 based, as are most all the custom kernels. Just as long as they are both on 4.0.3 base they will be compatible.

Flashing kernels is done just like roms in cmw with only a dalvik wipe.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: greydarrah

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
im running BAMF's Wookie creation, works great so far for me..only missing additional features

I'm using wookie with the Franco kernel and it's stable, quick, and great battery.

I just loaded wookie last night after having some quirks on the new rootzboat. It is very vanilla with few mods. I am not familiar with the other devs producing roms, but I have always considered Adrynalyne as one of the elite. So if loading a rom just on a devs reputation, this one would be it for me.
I am sticking with the included kernel, because I know Adry can make really fine kernels.
I said earlier all the roms are fine and this one is no different. Just smoothness with no frills.

All that above said, I will probably try out something else in a few days, just cause I can. What a great phone with great support. :p

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Axiom 2.3 and this has been my favorite so far (I think I started at 1.8). On my phone, it's noticeably quicker to respond to everything...moving between home screens, pulling down the notifications bar, launching apps. Not a single reboot.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Still on wookie and I really like it but jeez the top roms (gummy, axiom, aokp) have me itching for a change. I dunno if I like this situation...too many choices!! heheh
Doing the wipe data thing used to really bum me out, but nowdays it don't even bother me. After doing it so many times it is not even a factor anymore.

The other 2 flagship phones on vz, rezound and razr have nothing on the gn. I was perusing those phones developer forums and it is absolutely no contest. Its all about the dev scene for me.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Still on wookie and I really like it but jeez the top roms (gummy, axiom, aokp) have me itching for a change. I dunno if I like this situation...too many choices!! heheh
Doing the wipe data thing used to really bum me out, but nowdays it don't even bother me. After doing it so many times it is not even a factor anymore.

The other 2 flagship phones on vz, rezound and razr have nothing on the gn. I was perusing those phones developer forums and it is absolutely no contest. Its all about the dev scene for me.

Since you started the thread, I think you should take the data wipe plunge and install Axiom 2.3 tonight, then give us a comparative review between it and Wookie. As long as you make a nandroid backup of Wookie, if you don't like Axiom, it'll just take you a couple of minute to switch back :D.

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
On Gummy 3.8 here. I love it. It's super stable and fast and the T9 dialing and AOSP hotspot rock. My only "complaint" is that I would like a soft key search button like some other ROMs. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else I'd change.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Since you started the thread, I think you should take the data wipe plunge and install Axiom 2.3 tonight, then give us a comparative review between it and Wookie. As long as you make a nandroid backup of Wookie, if you don't like Axiom, it'll just take you a couple of minute to switch back :D.

LOL. I have no doubt axiom is excellent. Wookie just came out and thus has minimal customizations. The more developed ones have their settings screen populated with all kinds of mods.

I think I will try aokp soon but I will get to axiom after that soon enough. This is bad considering wookie is running fine. It must be a sickness I have.

As far as doing a review, that would be tough. Considering 9KR's post with gummy above, they are all really good.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Running AXIOM 2.2 here w/ the kernel that came with the ROM. I have various UV settings as well as OC'd to 1.35. Battery life is great (12 -14 hours with moderate to heavy use all day) I've been with ZYGOT3/AXIOM pretty much from the start and have been happy, my only complaint (which is kinda silly) is that droidtheory updates his ROM's too frequently lol Not that it's a bad thing at all though, the guy is a phenomenal and dev and offers fantastic support for his work.

Anyway, I'm starting to get the itch to flash another ROM and AOKP has caught my eye.

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm running AXI0M 2.3 with imoseyons experimental leankernel 1.2.2. My phone did not seem to do well with 1.2.1 that installed with 2.3. I have gone through AXI0M 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2, but I have not tried anything else yet because I am having great results with this one. I find it fun to change things constantly, it takes away from the boring same old stuff.

Anyways, on 2.3 with the other kernel my phone has been very stable all day overclocked again to 1.35 gHz no changes on voltage settings. I have streamed pandora, used the music player, internet on 4G most of the day, navigation, and about a hundred pictures and some videos at the aquarium I went to. No reboots, no lag just smooth phone operation all day long with great battery life, just as I want it to be:D.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed roman's AOKP rom with Imoseyon's 1.3.0 lean kernel, which he just released.
It has lots of visual tweaks and not so much performance tweaks as I remember from rootzboat and the screenshots from gummy. On those roms you could control clockspeed and voltages from the settings screen. Some were saying there is no need for setcpu. Below is a shot of the rom control screen when you hit a button on the main settings screen.

Screenshot_2012-01-03-22-01-53.png
Screenshot_2012-01-03-22-14-39.png

As you can see there are only visual type tweaks. I have gone through every setting and they all work fine, some with a reboot needed. The lower pic is the pulldown menu with assorted toggles and you can customize the wording in the pulldown and lockscreen as I did with "Dave". A cool feature is you can kill an app with a long press on the back button.
Decided on lean kernel with all the good comments in that thread on rootz. Will be monitoring battery life closely as I have a pretty aggressive undervolt going on in setcpu.

So if you like eye candy type tweaks, this is your rom. :p

edit: I did that softkey mod seperately, they did not come with the rom.

Last edited:

Gnoah

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Running JDkernel Tuna 1.1.2 on Axiom 2.3. Just running the kernel stock and it is the slickest my phone has been yet. It is beyond butter-smooth and has transitioned to silk. Plus very good battery usage.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Running JDkernel Tuna 1.1.2 on Axiom 2.3. Just running the kernel stock and it is the slickest my phone has been yet. It is beyond butter-smooth and has transitioned to silk. Plus very good battery usage.

Agreed... run it stock on JD but switch the governor from smartassV2 (what it comes set as) to Interactive... should see a tad more smoothness and better batt life, just a suggestion

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Is there not a ROM that has just been tweaked for performance, and have left the UI alone? Tbh, Matias Duarte and his UX/UI team did a damn fine job, and I'm only interested in getting faster performance and better battery. Is there a ROM out there like that?

Coming from the DInc, there was always at least one ROM that focused on this. Is there in these parts? ;)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Is there not a ROM that has just been tweaked for performance, and have left the UI alone? Tbh, Matias Duarte and his UX/UI team did a damn fine job, and I'm only interested in getting faster performance and better battery. Is there a ROM out there like that?

Coming from the DInc, there was always at least one ROM that focused on this. Is there in these parts? ;)

You would like wookie or heyitslou's redemption rom. They are fairly new roms and don't have the customizations as the more developed roms.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance