Anyone using NFC tags with their Galaxy Nexus?

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Determined not to let this thread die out of pure selfishness.

I've set up some basic functions of turning on and off wifi and sound toggling based on where I am at, especially in areas that would be too finite for GPS based tasked (ie, certain spots in side the house or the office). There were some examples earlier on in this thread of how people would like to implement this but:

What are some examples of what you have done?
Are you using NFC Task Launcher?
Are you integrating Tasker Tasks with that?

There has to be something I am missing here and hoping someone can show some good real world uses of this so far.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If I were to do this, I would want to do some of the very basic functions like
1. turn volumes down on my nightstand
2. wifi on and volumes set at my entry table for coming home
3. volume set and open podcast app in my car
4. wifi on at work (horrible reception) and silent.

I tried Tasker for the free week, but I couldn't figure out any complex tasks and this seems like this would use hardly any battery.

mr_arson

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Determined not to let this thread die out of pure selfishness.

I've set up some basic functions of turning on and off wifi and sound toggling based on where I am at, especially in areas that would be too finite for GPS based tasked (ie, certain spots in side the house or the office). There were some examples earlier on in this thread of how people would like to implement this but:

What are some examples of what you have done?
Are you using NFC Task Launcher?
Are you integrating Tasker Tasks with that?

There has to be something I am missing here and hoping someone can show some good real world uses of this so far.

im still waiting for my tags!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tagstand had a programming issue with tags misreporting their capacity.
New tags were sent out but I have yet to receive my replacements.
I will contact Omar the owner of the company and find out what's up.

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought some of the low capacity outdoor tags from tagstand. I found that the sensitivity is fairly low. It can take several tries to read a tag. I now have the hobby kit ordered from tagstand so I can try different types of tags. In my experience tags read more reliably with a battery charge greater than 80 percent. Also, the sweet spot for reading tags does seem to be the center of the battery. I am still unsure if what is behind the tag makes a difference. They seem to work better when I am holding the tag, but it could just be that I am positioning it more precisely when I am holding it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: orlanka

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
A few more comments. I have the kickstand holster from the Verizon store. It doesn't seem to matter whether the phone is in the holster backpiece or not as far as sensitivity is concerned. Also, I had a good experience buying from tagstand. No issues at all, and quick service.

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh, one more comment. Small capacity tags are not a problem depending on your need. If you're using them to launch tasker tasks, you can program a tag with any text you want. You just use that text (it can be one word) and launch the task from that code word. For instance, program the word 'car' into the tag to launch the task to set up your phone for the car.

Reactions: beerhound

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Was excited because I had some leftover hotel card keys from Vdara Hotel in Vegas. Come to find out that the cards were write protected!

I wanted to use one in my car with toggle functionality so that it can toggle Bluetooth on, Wi-Fi off, and volume up and also for when I get home for Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on. The other one I wanted to set for when I get to school, Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on, volume on Vibrate, and the other one would be for the gym, Volume up, start Pandora.

Thinking about getting some tags from Tagstand so I can still do this.

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Tony, that certainly isn't good news. I am waiting to see what happens with the variety pack. I'm hoping to find at least one type that is easy to read.

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Davidsnoodles, I think it doesn't matter what is on the tag. If it can be read, then you should be able to use that information to launch a tasker task.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought some of the low capacity outdoor tags from tagstand. I found that the sensitivity is fairly low. It can take several tries to read a tag.

Same goes for me, ordered some standard ones and the responsiveness is better.

Tagstand told me the GN has the weakest NFC programming/ signal? out of any device so it will be a touch and go thing.

That would explain why, even without the PVC protection that the outdoor tags have, it is a bit slow to respond at times.

Are there any tricks to boosting the signal? As oxfat states, the center of the battery seems to be the sweet spot but I haven't seen any specific behavior based on battery charge. I don't know the tech at all, but can the signal be modded like the radios are?

Thanks

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I received my "NFC Hobbyist Starter Kit" from Tagstand today. After testing, here is what I think:

LOGO TYPE 2 NFC STICKER - ULTRALIGHT C - SQUARE (35MM X 35MM)
- Very sensitive, range about 1.25 inches, picks up every time, fast

MIFARE CLASSIC STICKER - RECTANGLE (86MM X 54MM)
- Very sensitive, range about 1.25 inches, picks up every time, fast

TYPE 2 NFC STICKER - ULTRALIGHT C - SQUARE (55MM X 55MM)
- Moderately sensitive, range < 0.5 inches, picks up every time, some delay

OUTDOOR TYPE 2 NFC STICKER (PVC) - CIRCLE (30MM DIAMETER)
- Not very sensitive, range < 0.3 inches, picks up most times, moderate delay

I tested with a battery at 45% charge, and again with a battery at full charge. The results were about the same with either. I also had the standard Samsung case (with the built-in kickstand) on for all tests. Both the Logo Ultralight C and MIFARE Classic work great. I was pleased with both types.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks oxfat, I wish I had the time to do this sort of testing rather than just leeching off the knowledge but definitely appreciate the efforts here to give people some guidance, especially if they're confused on what tags to buy (as I have been)

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
orlanka,the whole purpose of forums is to share information. You should be able to hear a big sucking sound with all the "leeching" I'm doing for rooting my Gnex.

orca1

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
If I were to do this, I would want to do some of the very basic functions like
1. turn volumes down on my nightstand
2. wifi on and volumes set at my entry table for coming home
3. volume set and open podcast app in my car
4. wifi on at work (horrible reception) and silent.

I tried Tasker for the free week, but I couldn't figure out any complex tasks and this seems like this would use hardly any battery.

Try NFC Retag for these simple tasks ... has also a tasker integration, but for thoses simple actions you don?t need tasker ...and no background service ....

Was excited because I had some leftover hotel card keys from Vdara Hotel in Vegas. Come to find out that the cards were write protected!

I wanted to use one in my car with toggle functionality so that it can toggle Bluetooth on, Wi-Fi off, and volume up and also for when I get home for Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on. The other one I wanted to set for when I get to school, Bluetooth off, Wi-Fi on, volume on Vibrate, and the other one would be for the gym, Volume up, start Pandora.

Thinking about getting some tags from Tagstand so I can still do this.

same answer for you, try NFC ReTAG with your nfc hotel card keys ... works even with write protected tags !

oxfat

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The ability to turn the GPS on and off is buried a little deeper in Android, and requires that the phone be rooted. What I did with my rooted Gnex is download the app "Secure Settings" from the app/play/whatever the market is now. From within Secure Settings you can set it up to make Tasker aware of it. Then to turn the GPS on or off, from within tasker select "third party", "secure settings", and GPS. You can turn it on or off. It is easier to do than to describe. Let me know if you have questions.

Reactions: mikestorm