Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What causes "back button disabled" in recovery mode?

Sometimes when I'm in recovery doing a backup or going through the 3 or 4 steps of flashing something, I hit my power button to execute and instead of going to whatever the next screen should be, I get an image of andy with his stomach open and some sort of geometric matrix spinning inside his belly. Hitting the power button again get me back to the screen I came from. Hitting the power button another time gets me back to the andy image. I did notice that when I go back to whatever menu screen I was on, at the bottom, it says "back menu button disabled." After clicking volume buttons and the power button in no discernible order, it becomes enabled and every thing goes back to normal. What am I doing to put it in this state and is there a "normal" way to get it out of this state?
    Semper Fi
    I love my Moto X 2014!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default Re: What causes "back button disabled" in recovery mode?

It happens to me as well when using CWM Recovery. The first time this happened I went to Advanced and chose Reboot Recovery.

I think what causes this is the extremely sensitive volume keys when using recovery. If you press the up or down key multiple times too quickly you will get that message. I just do the same thing to reenable it.
    Thanked by:
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Same problem. Since the volume rocker skips i find myself hitting up and down up and down and then I get that message. Then need to pull the battery and boot back into recovery. Not sure why it does this. Might want to try the touch recovery since it won't skip and that could be the problem.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Same problem. Since the volume rocker skips i find myself hitting up and down up and down and then I get that message. Then need to pull the battery and boot back into recovery. Not sure why it does this. Might want to try the touch recovery since it won't skip and that could be the problem.

push the volume up button til it cycles twice to the top.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twindragons187 View Post
    hold down volume to disable the button, hold up volume to enable it.
    For me it seems to toggle enable and disable with either volume up or down key as long as you press it in rapid sequence.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!!!

yea i corrected what i wrote. just cycle up a few times and it will enable.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

awesome tip! Thanks guys.

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

This why I love the new CWM touch recovery thats floating around. The text is bigger for the Hi-res nexus screen and you use the virtual keys to navigate around. It even has gestures and haptic feedback.
    Thanked by:
    dzyuba 
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,750 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Hmm mine seemed to do it while hitting the center of the volume key and I've gotten it to recycle but hitting both at the same time. Don't know if theirs any validity to that it could be that I just did the trick mentioned unintentionally all i know is that can be a pain at times
    Loving this Oneplus one!!

ROM
    AOKP

When this happens and it boots into the Android with the spinning matrix, is it safe to pull the battery and return to recovery or does this have any impact on damaging the ROM? This happened to me earlier this evening and just to be sure I wiped and reflashed.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by BringMeBack9801 View Post
    When this happens and it boots into the Android with the spinning matrix, is it safe to pull the battery and return to recovery or does this have any impact on damaging the ROM? This happened to me earlier this evening and just to be sure I wiped and reflashed.
    As stated above just hit the up or down key a bunch of times so it cycles around and it will fix the disabled issue. If you pull during a rom install yes it would mess thinks up. If your just in recovery and get locked up then its OK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk