Many ICS update pushed - does this affect root?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of getting the Galaxy Nexus, but seeing that ICS have many bugs (Volume Issue, random reboots - Google it), Google has been pushing many ICS updates (4.01, 4.02, etc.).

My question is: if I root the GN, will I:

1). Still receive updates to fix bug?
2). If I do receive the updates, will this unroot the phone?

I am not planning to install custom ROM, just want to keep the root.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
You will get the updates no problem. They most likely will break root but it takes all of a minute to get it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Also, while I don't doubt that some people have bugs (there are bugs/problems for every phone in existence), I've had none show up. No volume issues (though I don't expect my phone to be used as a stereo), not a single reboot since I got the phone on release day, my camera takes amazing pictures, my cell/data signal is great (not a single dropped call), and my battery last all day. This doesn't mean there are no bugs in ICS, but from the apps I have installed and from the things I do on my phone, I see no bugs at all. I would suspect that most problems are associated with certain apps that create conflicts on the device.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
and I'll add that almost every single phone have issues when they first come out. Usually you need a few OTAs before things are all fixed up.

With the GNex you're adding in the fact that ICS is still new and kinks are being worked out of the OS in general.

I'm running custom right now but when I was stock I saw none of the issues being reported...it's a good phone.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I too did not have the Bugs/problems people spoke of when I was stock but this also highlights another part of the nexus I would not have to wait for them to push a fix, normally the devs are on top of this stuff and you can just load one of their roms till the update is released since the Nexus already has a huge dev community. But I kinda bet you want be going back to stock. Also just to throw this out there I know three people with this phone including me and havent seen a problem yet.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its simple u buy a nexus your google's btch. Your like the group that signs up to soak test for the updates or new os.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Its simple u buy a nexus your google's btch. Your like the group that signs up to soak test for the updates or new os.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Not sure I'd go that far or consider it a bad thing. My Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus S had far less significant or long lasting problems than the number of non nexus phones I've owned.

Yes, you get the new stuff first and yes that can come with risks but the carriers are largely removed from the equation and fixes, even minor ones, tend to roll much faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I understand there will be bugs, seeing that this is the first device with ICS, and I DO want to receive the updates.

My only concern is that the updates can "break" other things, most importantly the root, especially if RE-ROOTING requires a wipe of the device (not sure if this is true, still reading tons of posts on root).

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I understand there will be bugs, seeing that this is the first device with ICS, and I DO want to receive the updates.

My only concern is that the updates can "break" other things, most importantly the root, especially if RE-ROOTING requires a wipe of the device (not sure if this is true, still reading tons of posts on root).

re-rooting won't cause you to need to wipe again. the act of unlocking the bootloader is what wipes everything and that'll stay unlocked until you lock it again.
re-rooting, if required after an OTA, isn't hard.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton