Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ICS

Default Google Wallet before and after root

My GN is stock unrooted...I installed Google Wallet as soon as it was available. I want to unlock and root now, but I think I read that I might not be able to reinstall Google Wallet if I do.....

Anyone have some insight on this?

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Wallet before and after root

If you waited and installed using the apk you'll be fine.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AXIOM 2.4

it works fine for me too after i rooted. anytime you install a new ROM, make sure you actually install Wallet again vs restoring it using TiBu. When I restore it doesn't seem to work.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    If you waited and installed using the apk you'll be fine.
    It's already on my lccked stocked ICS phone.....I want to root but still be able to install Wallet
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    it works fine for me too after i rooted. anytime you install a new ROM, make sure you actually install Wallet again vs restoring it using TiBu. When I restore it doesn't seem to work.
    Ok....I'm not very knowledgeable about the rooting process. I was planning on using Wug's software that does it automatically. I do not plan on loading a new ROM, I plan on keeping ICS but just want to unlock and root.

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marsdiamond View Post
    It's already on my lccked stocked ICS phone.....I want to root but still be able to install Wallet
    Right. You used the apk rather than load the zip with the file permission change. So you should be fine to root and re-install. Some people who used the zip method got locked out of the secure element for NFC and couldn't use wallet anymore.

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marsdiamond View Post
    Ok....I'm not very knowledgeable about the rooting process. I was planning on using Wug's software that does it automatically. I do not plan on loading a new ROM, I plan on keeping ICS but just want to unlock and root.
    If your gonna root, why not go ahead and rom? Might I suggest CNA 1.2.0, which updated tonight? After you flash the rom and gapps, you'll have wallet as well...

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    Right. You used the apk rather than load the zip with the file permission change. So you should be fine to root and re-install. Some people who used the zip method got locked out of the secure element for NFC and couldn't use wallet anymore.
    I used the apk to install, then my screen froze, I did a factory reset, then when I tried to install using the apk it wouldn't load my wallet. And I don't have a citi card. Now I'm unlocked and rooted and I'm still not able to connect. I called the bank that deals with wallet a month ago so I should have a refund coming soon. But I'm still angry I can't use Wallet now.

I seemed to remember reading this in passing on XDA...

If you know you're about to load a backup or flash a new ROM, you might want to reset Google Wallet. Just open up Wallet, enter your pin. Then tap the menu button, then tap Settings. Tap "Reset Google Wallet," then you should be good to load\reload your ROM.

A demonstration for you:

FYI though, I've done Nandroid backups, and I recently restored one. My Google Wallet continued to work. Loading a new ROM for sure might need this step. Maybe someone can verify it someday.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AXIOM 2.4

i'll try that reset method next time i install a new ROM. i always had to do a fresh install to make it work again.