Any body know what Google's recent Nexus support issue means?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone understand what Googles latest news regarding CDMA Nexus support means for future ROM development (http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-support-not-dropped-after-all)? I don't really understand what all the talk of "signing" and "binary" is all about, or how it will effect the future ROM development? Can anyone explain our future in normal people words (like..."we're screwed," or, "it wont effect us at all")

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
So this is my take, I could be wrong but I've been reading up on it for a few hours so I hope I have a good grasp.

Technically, it shouldn't really mean anything except some different steps for the guys actually building the ROMs.

The source is still going to be out there per Google. The radios and other closed binaries we always seem to find anyway, so they'll get worked into the ROMs as they are leaked.

I'm really not worried but if you are I think it's probably wise to wait and see how this shakes out over next few days. I don't think anything has really changed at the end of the day. In 6 months you'll still see ROMs on the CDMA version with the same versions and builds on the GSM versions.

Now, I'm not letting Google or VZW off that easy. This is still supposed to be a Nexus device, that's how it was sold. I expect to see timely updates. I expect to see this device to continue in tandem with the GSM version with respect to the version of Android it's running. This is still a Nexus phone, it says so on the box and it needs to be treated like one. But, until I see that not being the case, I'm not worried about it.

Reactions: greydarrah

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think i might know but would just be a guess on my part .
Soooo would like to know this from someone more informed too
Edit: just saw the post above mine my guess was similar just not as in depth
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
XDA is saying

"
Update: It looks like all CDMA devices are no longer supported, this includes the Nexus S 4G on sprint.

Update 2: There's no evidence that this will negatively impact end users and OTA's. Things are still unfolding...

Update 3: Google WILL continue to support the Verizon Galaxy Nexus via OTA's. You can put the pitch forks away, sort of."

Google No Longer Supports the LTE - CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus? - Updated/Chill Pill - xda-developers

again, I really think this sounds worse than it is...

Reactions: greydarrah

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It means that people will have huge hissy fits over something that won't really affect them all that much in the first place.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It means that people will have huge hissy fits over something that won't really affect them all that much in the first place.
Yup google clarified what they meant when news first hit the net .
To state that they where just changing code Jerry posted that on AC a few hours ago since I read I calmed down

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So they won't be releasing the source for CDMA Nexus anymore? Doesn't that mean that when AOSP source drops that devs will have to jump through hoops to get it to work on the CDMA Nexus which totally defeats the purporse of a dev phone? I could care less about OTA from Google or VZ. I'm more concerned about custom ROM's and such. Am I completely interpreting this wrong?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I took it to mean google would rewrite the code and release it once done ,or it would either get leaked out .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa