Best Rom/Kernel Combo

goph_man

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just wondering what everybody thinks about all the different Roms and kernels and what they think is the best. Like which is the most customizable, best battery life, performance. I am running Gummy 0.7.6 with franco's kernel and love it so far, but am wondering if there is anything better out there that I should switch too????? :D

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Whatever rom you're on, you chose it for whatever reason and you like it.

For battery life, I believe the most influential thing is the kernel. It controls the clockspeed and voltages among many other things directly related to battery.
This is just my opinion, but I think with some kernels, the dev keeps pushing out updates at an accelerated pace just for the sake of updates. People clamor for updates. Sometimes they go backwards and battery life worsens, so they push another update to fix what was fine in an earlier version.

I am running heyitslou's defiant V3 kernel for over a week now, with excellent results. It's a very basic kernel as far as user input is concerned. No overclocking options or undervolting stuff. Also very limited governer options. He says to run it just as installed. I'm convinced there are savvy underhood tweaks that optimize battery life. I'm done with the kernel flash every couple of days. Doesn't make sense to flash something new to go backwards.

OptimusNotPrime

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm Using Liquid Smooth Beta 5. Don't let the Beta name Fool you, Liquid smooth is Really Smooth & Light Weight. The Kernel I'm using came with Liquid *3.0.20-imoseyon*. Really Though it all comes down to what you Like. ;) And Yes i get Good Battery Life

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I like codename best. Very customizable, smooth fast and all day on my battery. I was running Franco's kernel, but with codenames latest release (1.4.0) and the attached kernel, It's blazing fast with performance scores the same as Franco's. So for now, I'm sticking with the kernel it with.

Just make a nandroid backup of what you've got, then try another one out. If you don't like it, it'll just take a minute to switch back.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
running pete's bugless beast with franco's kernel. i'm not looking for something that's too overdone. the combo runs really smooth and really fast and i get pretty good benchmarking scores with the two. i am a really heavy user (streaming music for hours, constant texting, facebook updates, google plus picture upload etc) and my phone can make it through my 12 hour day fine.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
running pete's bugless beast with franco's kernel. i'm not looking for something that's too overdone. the combo runs really smooth and really fast and i get pretty good benchmarking scores with the two. i am a really heavy user (streaming music for hours, constant texting, facebook updates, google plus picture upload etc) and my phone can make it through my 12 hour day fine.

I'm using BB with Franco, great results too.

Pete does some great kernel work too though with his stuff so BB stock if fine if you aren't looking to tweak anything.

bb4temo

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm Using Liquid Smooth Beta 5. Don't let the Beta name Fool you, Liquid smooth is Really Smooth & Light Weight. The Kernel I'm using came with Liquid *3.0.20-imoseyon*. Really Though it all comes down to what you Like. ;) And Yes i get Good Battery Life

Where can I download liquid smooth beta 5? I am only running the beta 3 right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

walkingtaco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Codename Android + Francos nightly kernel. Over 24 hours on a charge with moderate to heavy use switching between 3g/4g/wifi using stock battery and so damn smooth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Codename Android + Francos nightly kernel. Over 24 hours on a charge with moderate to heavy use switching between 3g/4g/wifi using stock battery and so damn smooth.

Same combo but I get nowhere near that battery life. I'll get about 16ish with two hours+ screen time.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like to say one rom is better than another but ah wth, Android Open Kang Project!! hands down. Heyitslou's defiant v3 kernel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
AOKP // Minimalistic kernel (Stable)

AOKP 25 and Imoseyon Lean 2.2exp1 kernel.

Unbelievable battery life and no lag. Incredible combo.

Franco's kernel is also very good too. I used this one since coming to the GN, but I realized that Lean kernel ran on my phone better.

+1 to all this

Just tried LeanKernel for the first time today as part of Gummy ROM, and wow performance and battery life are incredible. Now I'm running AOKP and LeanKernel, which is as perfect a combination as I've been able to find.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance