[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

^Agree

Ross Perot is the only person i ever remember that had a slight chance to win that was not a part of the big two.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No offense intended, it's just not going to. It's not that it doesn't matter in speaking your voice, it's that it's highly unlikely anybody from either Dem/Rep party will ever win. I wont grief anyone for voting how they want to vote, I'm just glad they voted. It's unfortunate that our system is destined to boil down to two parties, but, that's just the way it is. Even in States with Parliamentary government where more than two parties have some power, they still end up making backroom deals and group together for voting and it's almost like a two party system.

Not to sidetrack too far into politics, but...

Not getting elected doesn't mean it didn't count. If the two dominant parties start to see their base chipped away by a meaningful amount of voters going to a third-party candidate they are almost forced to adopt some of that party's philosophy to grow their own base.

Also, don't forget what happened to the Whig party. One of the primary two parties has fallen before, so it can happen again. But I am in agreement that it is sad that we have mostly forced ourselves into a two-party system over the years...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Hey I fixed my ubuntu system... hadn't been able to get it to boot up since upgrading to 12.10. Sweet.. double win today :)

What yall talkin pol-ee-ticks or somethin?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Not to sidetrack too far into politics, but...

Not getting elected doesn't mean it didn't count. If the two dominant parties start to see their base chipped away by a meaningful amount of voters going to a third-party candidate they are almost forced to adopt some of that party's philosophy to grow their own base.

Also, don't forget what happened to the Whig party. One of the primary two parties has fallen before, so it can happen again. But I am in agreement that it is sad that we have mostly forced ourselves into a two-party system over the years...

Probably for the best, lol.

I do agree, but, I think my vote is better spent picking one of the two candidates that is much more likely to win, and pick which one is more inline with ideology. I'd rather do that than hope that several viewpoints from a smaller party were going to be absorbed by one of the larger ones. Thankfully my views lineup rather nicely with one of the two major parties, so, I don't have to be in the predicament of voting for what I believe in, or, voting for the lesser of two evils.

Indeed it has, like the Democratic Republican party. What a funny name considering the parties we have now, lol.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Hey I fixed my ubuntu system...

How, did you format it and install Windows? Lol. Just kidding, I had an affair with Ubuntu. It was neat/fun at first, but, I ultimately found it to be cumbersome.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
How, did you format it and install Windows? Lol. Just kidding, I had an affair with Ubuntu. It was neat/fun at first, but, I ultimately found it to be cumbersome.

Its a giant pain in the ass, but a necessary evil for some. I will be spending this evening fighting with it once again when I get off work. Grabbing another bottle of wine for sure, which will most likely turn into a bottle of 'whine' in the Chatter thread if I can't get it to work right again, lol

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Its a giant pain in the ass, but a necessary evil for some. I will be spending this evening fighting with it once again when I get off work. Grabbing another bottle of wine for sure, which will most likely turn into a bottle of 'whine' in the Chatter thread if I can't get it to work right again, lol

Lol there are a few programs I wish worked as well as on Windows, but overall the good far outweighs the bad for me. It's faster, smoother and doesn't get all laggy like windows does after a while.. None of the crap bloat that came on my Windows install.. and the way it naturally integrates things like different accounts for chat/email and stuff is awesome. 12.10 seems to have ironed out more of the minor bugs I found in 12.04 already, really liking it. Course I dual-boot it so I can always return to my windows system if I want for something.

And that's where the issue I had was.. the utility I used to set up the dual-boot wasn't properly recognizing the upgrade's partitions, just had to update that app then redo the configuration and now all is shiny :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol there are a few programs I wish worked as well as on Windows, but overall the good far outweighs the bad for me. It's faster, smoother and doesn't get all laggy like windows does after a while.. None of the crap bloat that came on my Windows install.. and the way it naturally integrates things like different accounts for chat/email and stuff is awesome. 12.10 seems to have ironed out more of the minor bugs I found in 12.04 already, really liking it. Course I dual-boot it so I can always return to my windows system if I want for something.

And that's where the issue I had was.. the utility I used to set up the dual-boot wasn't properly recognizing the upgrade's partitions, just had to update that app then redo the configuration and now all is shiny :)

Gotcha. I'm a PC gamer, so, Windows is the natural choice. Windows 7 doesn't suffer from the issues that I experience with XP. I have been running it for probably two years now and it runs great. I built my box custom, so, I have no bloatware from HP, Dell, etc. You can always get something like Pidgen to bundle chat, but, I dunno about email. Yea, dual booting is nice. If I had a need for Ubuntu, I'd do it, but, as for now, I have none.

Also, did you guys see Global Posts under your avatar? I wonder what the difference is.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. I'm a PC gamer, so, Windows is the natural choice. Windows 7 doesn't suffer from the issues that I experience with XP. I have been running it for probably two years now and it runs great. I built my box custom, so, I have no bloatware from HP, Dell, etc. You can always get something like Pidgen to bundle chat, but, I dunno about email. Yea, dual booting is nice. If I had a need for Ubuntu, I'd do it, but, as for now, I have none.

Also, did you guys see Global Posts under your avatar? I wonder what the difference is.

Ah I hear ya, yeah I know it isn't very friendly to gamers. I actually do use pidgin on Windows too, lol.

And not sure about that global posts thing..

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah I hear ya, yeah I know it isn't very friendly to gamers. I actually do use pidgin on Windows too, lol.

Some games work with Wine, but, how well is the question. And, you wont be playing the latest releases, that's for sure, lol.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

The global posts thing includes posts on the other Mobile Nations sites. So we know that you're cheating on AC. :D

Sent from my SGSIII