[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sidera is frustrating me. It works fine when I'm debugging and actively testing it, but then when I run the widgets in daily use the clocks decide they don't want to show me the correct time.

:-\

This is the only thing keeping a new build from going out too.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Color me confused.

My computer has developed a habit of not recognizing my Gnex. Every time it does I have to go through the process of finding and deleting ALL the drivers associated with it, reboot, doublecheck, re-install drivers, reboot, etc.... only for it not to be recognized a day, 2 days, a week later.

It worked last night. Went from an unofficial AOKP build to the 4.2.1 build 2. Transfered a bunch of files off my phone to the PC so I could do a complete full wipe and start off a clean base. (Actually I went to full stock 4.2.1 first, then to AOKP. Anyways....

I'm getting irritated. It didn't do this a few months ago. I don't know why it's changed either. Any clues/hints/ideas? Win7 64bit.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Color me confused.

My computer has developed a habit of not recognizing my Gnex. Every time it does I have to go through the process of finding and deleting ALL the drivers associated with it, reboot, doublecheck, re-install drivers, reboot, etc.... only for it not to be recognized a day, 2 days, a week later.

It worked last night. Went from an unofficial AOKP build to the 4.2.1 build 2. Transfered a bunch of files off my phone to the PC so I could do a complete full wipe and start off a clean base. (Actually I went to full stock 4.2.1 first, then to AOKP. Anyways....

I'm getting irritated. It didn't do this a few months ago. I don't know why it's changed either. Any clues/hints/ideas? Win7 64bit.

1) Check the cable. If the cable or connector pins are damaged in any way, you may be getting this.
2) Check the microUSB port. Same damage issue. Use a high-pressure air duster to get any debris out of it.
3) There may still be a driver conflict on the computer. Remove all Android (Android 1.0 device) drivers, as well as any Samsung/USB drivers for the Galaxy Nexus. Reboot then re-download and re-install.​

I've had all three cause that problem for me.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
1) Check the cable. If the cable or connector pins are damaged in any way, you may be getting this.
2) Check the microUSB port. Same damage issue. Use a high-pressure air duster to get any debris out of it.
3) There may still be a driver conflict on the computer. Remove all Android (Android 1.0 device) drivers, as well as any Samsung/USB drivers for the Galaxy Nexus. Reboot then re-download and re-install.​

Thanks. I'll check into all 3. Forgot to mention that it does charge via USB, just isn't recognized by the computer as something it needs to interact with.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll check into all 3. Forgot to mention that it does charge via USB, just isn't recognized by the computer as something it needs to interact with.

There are specific pins in the microUSB arrangement responsible for reporting and handling a data connection. If they are damaged or blocked, you may be able to charge (whether it be at USB rates or standard AC charging rates) without reliable data transfer abilities.

Also, Dumbledore.

5MNk3fD.jpg

I laughed really hard at this.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows pops up a window about missing hardware ID. Thinking somehow drivers keep getting messed up. Tried 2 different cables, in 2 different USB ports. Same thing. I think I've eliminated the possibility of it being cables or USB port on the computer.

Looking at the USB port on the phone, the tab looked slightly bent downwards. I gave it a gentle nudge back towards the center of the port and it connected just fine. I guess I'll be spending some of my tax return on a new phone -- I can't imagine prying on the microUSB port will be a long-term fix!

(Nexus 4 perhaps?)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's the breakdown of traveling to St. Louis for two weeks with the friend who thought up Sidera and works in business and marketing. Officially launch either Sidera or Dewey on the Play Store the day I get there, and spend the two weeks celebrating, fixing any issues that arise, marketing it, and building name recognition. I'd stop in Phoenix for four nights on the way over, talk with the designer there, and see that girl.

SEA ✈ PHX ✈ STL ✈ SEA
$500​
Hotel PHX
$560​
Extra
$250​
Total cost
$1310​

Sounds like a good plan to me, if chatter has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Also, try Hipmunk for searching travel/hotel reservations. It's cool. The results page after you search for flights is very informative and easy-to-use.