CWM Recovery Won't Stick, Reverts To Old Recovery

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Today I was deciding to flash a rom for the first time. I am unlocked and rooted. I had all the necessary things to get started, but I noticed that I did not have CWM flashed (I originally had, but it reverted). I flashed it through Rom Manger, and it came up. Once I reboot, it reverts back to the old recovery. I even did it manually (flashed CWM touch). It always reverts back. Can't seem to find a solution.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Whats important is the step about deleting (or renaming) recovery-from-boot.p from /system. If that file is intact, then on the stock ROM you need to reflash CWR every time you reboot. When you flash a ROM you won't have the problem anymore anyway because its taken care of in every custom ROM. :)

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Whats important is the step about deleting (or renaming) recovery-from-boot.p from /system. If that file is intact, then on the stock ROM you need to reflash CWR every time you reboot. When you flash a ROM you won't have the problem anymore anyway because its taken care of in every custom ROM. :)

Wait, can it be that it is reverting because of me being on stock 4.0.4? Because if I flash it, first boot works. Second is when it reverts. I can just flash my rom.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait, can it be that it is reverting because of me being on stock 4.0.4? Because if I flash it, first boot works. Second is when it reverts. I can just flash my rom.

Lol yes thats what I said, or meant. Delete recovery-from-boot.p from /system using root explorer (you can just rename it if deleting it scares you, but trust me deleting it is fine). Then flash CWR and it will stick.

Reactions: Hovik818

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just went ahead and flashed my rom. On the new rom I installed rom manager and just flashed CWM and it didn't revert me anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Rom manager app has been acting up lately. But, since you had recovery, and then flashed a rom, you should still have recovery, despite what rom manager says or does. (assuming you flashed a non-stock rom).

If you power off, you can boot to recovery manually.

Hold power, vol up and vol down all together - that takes you to the bootloader screen (fast boot). Use vol keys to scroll down to recovery, then press power.

See if that works.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, do the all volume + power. Use the volume keys to find recovery, hit power to select, and boom, CWM should be there.

If you flash straight up 4.0.4 you'll lose root without rootkeeper or a similar precaution/app.

With newer CWM and rooting methods, the whole mysterious file that must be renamed/deleted is usually gone automatically. I've rooted on a mac and have yet to actually see the file, and thus have never had the issue of CWM not sticking.