A couple of questions

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So I have a galaxy nexus and I rooted it and put CM9 on it, before I put CM9 on I used titanium backup to backup all my apps and used Clockwork Rom Manager to create a nandroid backup. I've also created a nandroid backup of my CM9 setup.

I'd like to play with other roms and you know just experiment, so here are my questions

1. The most annoying thing about setting up CM9 was moving around all my apps again, folders, widgets, etc... When I restore a nandroid backup, is all of that stuff there, or do I have to put everything on my homescreens again?

2. I see stuff about nightlies for experimental builds, do you automatically get updates for those each night, or do you have to flash a new rom each day to get the new build?

I know I had some other questions, i'll post them as replies as they come to me, thanks!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I have a galaxy nexus and I rooted it and put CM9 on it, before I put CM9 on I used titanium backup to backup all my apps and used Clockwork Rom Manager to create a nandroid backup. I've also created a nandroid backup of my CM9 setup.

I'd like to play with other roms and you know just experiment, so here are my questions

1. The most annoying thing about setting up CM9 was moving around all my apps again, folders, widgets, etc... When I restore a nandroid backup, is all of that stuff there, or do I have to put everything on my homescreens again?

2. I see stuff about nightlies for experimental builds, do you automatically get updates for those each night, or do you have to flash a new rom each day to get the new build?

I know I had some other questions, i'll post them as replies as they come to me, thanks!

Your nandroid backup will have all your home screens and icons as they were when you made it. Be careful about renaming your nandroid backups. It's OK to add something to the default name (so you can figure out which one is which), but don't ever add a blank space to the name. Recovery will not restore it if you do. Dashes are OK, but no spaces.

Also, you might consider using a different launcher. Nova (almost identical to the stock launcher), for example, allows you to create backups that can be restored after you flash a new ROM, or an update to one, so all your home screens get restored like they were.

You don't get nightly update automatically. You have to download and flash (install) them, if and when you want.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the nightlies, if you have Rom Manager, you can check to see if the nightly is available. It doesn't "update." You download the new nightly, flash it and the GAPPS file (because if not you may get 2 galleries, unless that issue has been resolved ;), and be sure to take all of your normal precautions.

A nandroid essentially restores everything you've got.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
so what is the difference between nandroid and titanium backup?

Nandroid is created through CWM recovery. Titanium is an app, and is a bit more flexible in such that you can use it to restore your apps and data.

Caution, though, for app data for different roms may cause force closes/problems.

Reactions: zero neck

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Your nandroid backup will have all your home screens and icons as they were when you made it. Be careful about renaming your nandroid backups. It's OK to add something to the default name (so you can figure out which one is which), but don't ever add a blank space to the name. Recovery will not restore it if you do. Dashes are OK, but no spaces.

Also, you might consider using a different launcher. Nova (almost identical to the stock launcher), for example, allows you to create backups that can be restored after you flash a new ROM, or an update to one, so all your home screens get restored like they were.

You don't get nightly update automatically. You have to download and flash (install) them, if and when you want.

Intersting, so when you install each nightly you have to set up your homescreens again?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Intersting, so when you install each nightly you have to set up your homescreens again?

It depends. Some nightlies (keep in mind this is just another name for a ROM update) require a data wipe, and some don't. It's all about how much and what is getting updated. If it requires a data wipe, then everything except your sd card (virtual sd card) gets wiped and you have to set up your home screens again. If you're using something like Nova, it's no big deal. You just get all your apps restored and then restore your Nova backup. That's puts your home screens just like they were in about 1 second. When a data wipe is required, all your gmail stuff (calendar, contacts) are automatically restored when you log into your account. For most ROMs, about 90% of your apps will also auto download. The ones that don't and any data for those apps (with the exception of system data) like game scores, you use Titanium Backup to restore. You can do the whole thing in 20 to 30 minutes.

If an update does not require a data wipe, your home screens and apps stay like they were.

The OP for the ROM will tell you if a data wipe is required or not for each update.

Reactions: zero neck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol