unlocked only/want 4.0.4?

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually the first thing you should do is download rom manager from Google play and create yourself a nandroid backup. Just so you have something to fall back on. Backup any files or pics onto your comp. For safe measures.

Dropped from XparentLiquidNexus via TapaTalk
Yep, did that first thing. Had to back up the pics and videos before I unlocked anyway.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
How bout let's start a pattern of teaching people to use recovery and Not rom manager or 1-click roots or any other short cuts? Just throwing it out there :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Sounds good to me

Dropped from XparentLiquidNexus via TapaTalk

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Amen. I've yet to root the Nexus using 1-click, but I have taken it back to stock (twice) with Wug's, just b/c I had to rush and make it to fedex ;).

I forgive you for those minor transgressions... ;)

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So are any of those roms basically stock with just a couple of tweaks. I really don't want to deal with camera and video camera bugs which I've heard are major bugs with a lot of Roms. I'm just tired of waiting for Verizon/Google to push the latest update and want to get that now if possible but still basically be Vanilla.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So are any of those roms basically stock with just a couple of tweaks. I really don't want to deal with camera and video camera bugs which I've heard are major bugs with a lot of Roms. I'm just tired of waiting for Verizon/Google to push the latest update and want to get that now if possible but still basically be Vanilla.

I've never ran into that bug.

For those AOSP-esque ROMS, the CM9 nightlies, Bugless Beast, and BAMF are all solid choices IMHO (with BAMF being the lower end of that totem pole).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never ran into that bug.

For those AOSP-esque ROMS, the CM9 nightlies, Bugless Beast, and BAMF are all solid choices IMHO (with BAMF being the lower end of that totem pole).

+1 for bugless beast... Petes roms are famously very stable tho low on features. Never ran them myself but he gets lots of praise around the dev community so I'd recommend his roms if a mostly stock experience is what you're looking for.

And yeah whatever you've heard about camera issues, etc is mostly heresay... Haven't had issues on any rom I've run. A good idea is always to try and read the last 8-10 pages of the rom thread (because, yes, the threads can get very long lol) and you'll get an idea of whether or not there are any bugs to know about from what people are saying recently.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
lol at heresay, an apt cross between heresy and hearsay. Love it.

The only bug i've EVER had with a rom (on the Nexus) is a FC of Temple Run (lol) and the popping when Ezekeel's audio mod was in its infancy a month or so back at this point. Past that, the camera/video bug = never encountered.

Just make sure you play it safe. Always Nandroid (make a backup) or have one available, always do your wipes (unless you have AXI0M, which wipes for you;), and always be patient. You'll get rewarded. Trust me.

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I would also have to flash Gapps for most Roms. Do you normally flash that before you flash the Rom itself, or does it matter?

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You flash that after the ROM. If you look in the ROM thread, the first post should have step-by-step instructions.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I would also have to flash Gapps for most Roms. Do you normally flash that before you flash the Rom itself, or does it matter?

If the Rom has gapps to flash... You flash them immediately after flashing the rom, before rebooting. Yes each rom will let you know in the OP if you need to flash gapps separate or not. Some include them in the Rom package.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You flash that after the ROM. If you look in the ROM thread, the first post should have step-by-step instructions. Follow them exactly or if you don't learn how to un-softbrick your phone.

Play nice not scary... We is teaching and OP is learning :)
Maybe we can encourage more fraidy cats to join us crackflashers on the light side of the force :D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Like everyone said, after the rom. Don't reboot the device until you know all required steps are performed.

Also, when in doubt, make a backup, have a smoke/drink, then approach it with patience. Folks that rush this stuff are those that complain about a massively buggy ROM when the ROM itself is fine. If you treat your flashing experience with respect you'll unlock an amazing amount of features. Trust us, we're the AC Nexus Flashing Crew ;).

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

so as another noob, I loaded the wugfresh toolkit, did a back up and stopped.

I want to do this 1 step at a time, so can I just start by unlocking the phone? and if I just unlock the phone what benefits are there until I install a ROM?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781