unlocked only/want 4.0.4?

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this is very noob, but I just unlocked my CDMA galaxy nexus. Do I have to root to update to 4.0.4 or can it just be unlocked to do that? If it can just be unlocked please provide a link to download 4.0.4 and how to install it. Thanks for any help!!

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know you have to be rooted. You can run a stock rom of 4.0.4. You've already done the bad part of the 2. Why not just root?

Dropped from XparentLiquidNexus via TapaTalk

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No you don't technically have to root. You can flash CWM recovery and use that to flash a stock 4.0.4 rom. Sorry I'm not by a computer or id provide some more info and links.... Will try to get back to you later if you're still needing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
No you don't technically have to root. You can flash CWM recovery and use that to flash a stock 4.0.4 rom. Sorry I'm not by a computer or id provide some more info and links.... Will try to get back to you later if you're still needing.

Oh yeah. That a right. You don't need to flash a permanent CWM. There's a temp as well. Perfect for your one hit wonder flashing.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Temp cwm I think you push it through fastboot. I'm sure there's an option on wugs kit. I'm mobile so I don't have a rom just Google it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this is very noob, but I just unlocked my CDMA galaxy nexus. Do I have to root to update to 4.0.4 or can it just be unlocked to do that? If it can just be unlocked please provide a link to download 4.0.4 and how to install it. Thanks for any help!!

You did not have to unlock your boot loader or be rooted to install 4.0.4. I created this instructions here: Galaxy Nexus root / un-root without unlocking bootloader - Android Forums but you have to know some adb commands.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Without reading (at work, my apologies), how does it work in a sentence or less?

Here is steps separated by a coma: C:\Android\platform-tools> adb push mempodroid /data/local, C:\Android\platform-tools> adb push su /data/local, the remaining operations take place using adb: C:\Android\platform-tools> adb shell, $ cd /data/local, $ chmod 777 mempodroid, $ chmod 777 su, $ ./mempodroid 0xd7f4 0xad4b mount -o remount,rw '' /cache, $ PATH=$PATH:/data/local, $ ./mempodroid 0xd7f4 0xad4b sh, #chmod 777 /cache, Open another command prompt or term and browse to your browse to directory you placed update.zip in /cache, adb push update.zip /cache, the remaining operations take place using adb from above:, # chmod 770 /cache, # PATH=/sbin:/vendor/bin:/system/sbin:/system/bin:/system/xbin, exit, * Power off phone, * Press and hold the volume up/down buttons then press the power button, * Arrow to Recovery, * Phone will reboot in to recovery mode, * With Android laying down, press and hold the power button and volume up (possible volume up couple of times), * apply update from /cache, * reboot

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I went ahead and just rooted it, haha. Do I have to now flash a custom rom for 4.0.4, or is there a way to just update the stock rom by downloading the stock update from somewhere onto the computer and then putting that on the root of the SD card and flashing it with CWM?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. I went ahead and just rooted it, haha. Do I have to now flash a custom rom for 4.0.4, or is there a way to just update the stock rom by downloading the stock update from somewhere onto the computer and then putting that on the root of the SD card and flashing it with CWM?

Just hit the link I posted. Download the stock rom and flash in CWM. Or you can just download and flash a rom of your choice. I personally recommend liquidsmooth 1.25.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Actually the first thing you should do is download rom manager from Google play and create yourself a nandroid backup. Just so you have something to fall back on. Backup any files or pics onto your comp. For safe measures.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just hit the link I posted. Download the stock rom and flash in CWM. Or you can just download and flash a rom of your choice. I personally recommend liquidsmooth 1.25.

Ignore him and follow the links in my signature ;)

lol jk either are great.

Some of the big ones:

AOKP
GummyNex
LiquidSmooth 1.25
AXI0M Patient Zero (or Crossbreed or Driven)
CyanogenMod 9 (CM = basically the biggest/most notable rom out there IMO)
MIUI
Bugless Beast

Did I miss any?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Ignore him and follow the links in my signature ;)

lol jk either are great.

Some of the big ones:

AOKP
GummyNex
LiquidSmooth 1.25
AXI0M Patient Zero (or Crossbreed or Driven)
CyanogenMod 9 (CM = basically the biggest/most notable rom out there IMO)
MIUI
Bugless Beast

Did I miss any?

Ha ha. Good laugh. Here's your first point for "electronic crotch kick" lol :eek:

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How bout let's start a pattern of teaching people to use recovery and Not rom manager or 1-click roots or any other short cuts? Just throwing it out there :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
How bout let's start a pattern of teaching people to use recovery and Not rom manager or 1-click roots or any other short cuts? Just throwing it out there :)

I love taking the long way, although I will say this--for Mac Users, I'd prefer using RM to flash CWM than getting CWM on there via fastboot (which itself is a massive pain to set up, and I hate stealing my fiancee's HP to fastboot lol)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I love taking the long way, although I will say this--for Mac Users, I'd prefer using RM to flash CWM than getting CWM on there via fastboot (which itself is a massive pain to set up, and I hate stealing my fiancee's HP to fastboot lol)

Lol fine whatever :p

And it's not about making them learn the long way.. Its about learning the right way. Inevitably they'll find themselves in a situation sooner or later when they need to use recovery or need to fastboot something and won't have any idea how to do any of it if all they ever used were rom manager and 1-clicks...and those times when they need to will often be urgent situations where they're likely to panic and do something ill advised if they don't have some working knowledge of this stuff beforehand.

I want to get this entire forum.. Admins, mods, users and all to work with me in this. The abolishment of 1-clicks and Rom Managers and the spread of knowledge! It is my quest in life! :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Lol fine whatever :p

And it's not about making them learn the long way.. Its about learning the right way. Inevitably they'll find themselves in a situation sooner or later when they need to use recovery or need to fastboot something and won't have any idea how to do any of it if all they ever used were rom manager and 1-clicks...and those times when they need to will often be urgent situations where they're likely to panic and do something ill advised if they don't have some working knowledge of this stuff beforehand.

I want to get this entire forum.. Admins, mods, users and all to work with me in this. The abolishment of 1-clicks and Rom Managers and the spread of knowledge! It is my quest in life! :)

Amen. I've yet to root the Nexus using 1-click, but I have taken it back to stock (twice) with Wug's, just b/c I had to rush and make it to fedex ;).

Reactions: 2defmouze

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm