It's time!

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
That's it, I've had enough! I'm done with 4.0.2. I've decided to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash. I will be using Wug's Toolkit to root, and I think I'll give Patient Zero a shot with 4.0.4 and Franco's kernel. I used to mess around with my old Fassy so I'm not new to the game, although it has been a while so I must ask, any words of wisdom?

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Sure... don't bother rooting. its not needed if you're just going to flash another rom. Its a complete waste of time really. All you need is an unlocked bootloader to flash clockwork mod (or just boot into clockworkmod and flash that way).

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Make Nandroid backups of course.

You may as well root i don't know what rufflez is talking about. You will need root access to do many things you're going to want to do probably.

Read up Cyber warriors sticky about flashing roms and backing up to get the rust off.

And have a good time :)

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You don't need root to flash a rom. If you are coming from a stock phone, why root when you are going to just overwrite the whole process and flash a ROM that is already rooted... hence pointless.

Please, I know what I'm talking about. I created the videos on here that explain how to do it.

Coming from stock:
1) Unlock bootloader
2) Install clockwork mod
3) flash ROM
4) profit

Why add another pointless step?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't need root to flash a rom. If you are coming from a stock phone, why root when you are going to just overwrite the whole process and flash a ROM that is already rooted... hence pointless.

Please, I know what I'm talking about. I created the videos on here that explain how to do it.

Coming from stock:
1) Unlock bootloader
2) Install clockwork mod
3) flash ROM
4) profit

Why add another pointless step?

its literally one command?

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, once you've unlocked the bootloader, yes

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

you need to have the recovery image name correct there and it has to be in the folder with adb and fastboot. But that will let you boot into clockwork mod without installing it if you wanted to backup your unrooted phone, install a custom ROM, or do what I did and install stock 4.0.4 while keeping everything unmolested. Since you don't overwrite the stock recovery, you can flash stock signed files this way.

Now if you wanted to install Clockwork, its still one command

Code:
fastboot install recovery recovery.img

this command overwrites the stock recovery, so you won't be able to install stock updates.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
lol While rufflez is correct... seeing as following all the unlocking instructions pretty much include rooting, and it takes about literally 2 seconds... its not so much a waste of time, you might as well. No need to confuse the guy :)

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I rooted. Over all good experience it all came back to me once I started. Man this rom has a lot of customization options. Gonna take some time to get this thing the way I want it. Thanks for the help. Oh, are there themes for Patient Zero? Thanks again.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I rooted. Over all good experience it all came back to me once I started. Man this rom has a lot of customization options. Gonna take some time to get this thing the way I want it. Thanks for the help. Oh, are there themes for Patient Zero? Thanks again.

I believe Nexus Plus--which I ran on Liquid 1.25--has been ported over. For themes, check out the droidHive post (linked in the AXI0M thread) and root around.

Reactions: wyseguy77

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
That's it, I've had enough! I'm done with 4.0.2. I've decided to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash. I will be using Wug's Toolkit to root, and I think I'll give Patient Zero a shot with 4.0.4 and Franco's kernel. I used to mess around with my old Fassy so I'm not new to the game, although it has been a while so I must ask, any words of wisdom?

All the Roms are pre-rooted with busybox and super user. Don't worry about rooting yourself. Just unlock (caution: back up your SD card as unlocking will wipe it) and flash clockworkmod. Then flash Rom of your choice. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this thread went on and on and no one read what I said. I didn't say you should or shouldn't root. That choice is yours. What my point is, why add the step when its going to be included in whatever ROM you flash? Its a nonsense step as I showed in the video I posted.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this thread went on and on and no one read what I said. I didn't say you should or shouldn't root. That choice is yours. What my point is, why add the step when its going to be included in whatever ROM you flash? Its a nonsense step as I showed in the video I posted.

I woulda rooted based on habit - from the days of dinc and tbolt. never had a nexus device before.

Also, would do it, despite its irrelevance, so that my stock nandroid for safe keeping is rooted with certain apps, although with this phone everything root related is such a breeze to fix that i dont really need the stock rooted nandroid for a safety net.

But, seeing what you mean, makes sense. Not much of a bother to do, but not much point to it either.

Anyway - thanks for info.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I think it's good to at least know how to root and to know the effects of rooting with your stock rom before flashing a custom rom. Becoming familiar with things like Root Explorer and such are always good IMO. It might be a "nonsense" step, but I think it's a good one for someone unfamiliar with Android and customization.

That and it's such an "assumed" step (at least for the past couple years) that "not rooting" seems foreign to many folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz