Just want battery life and the best on screen time.

j.glik14

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On AOKP 31 with Franco M2 and getting about an hour 45 on screen at about 60% brightness, not on wifi and 4G here and there. This is over the time of about 9ish hours.
I really just want 2 and a half hours of on screen time so I can get a normal battery through the day.
Any suggestions with ROM and Kernel combos for the best battery life? I don't care much about features at this point. Screen shots of battery stats much appreciated.
I'm just honestly tired of switching batteries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I regularly get 2.5 hrs screen on time.
From what i've found some kernels will just work better with your phone than others, its worhtwhile to test a few out and give them 1-2 days to really settle in before you analyse what kinda battery you're getting bc the first few hours may not be a good measure.

Obviously, auto brightness or low level of brightness, less apps in total taking up space might help, fewer apps that run all the time or need push notifications, use wifi whenever possible, turn of NFC if you don't use it, turn off GPS and bluetooth if you don't use them, etc.

With the kernels, you can experiment with undervolting and keeping the clock speed down, just go a little at a time and see if your phone stilll works like it should, or if it's getting buggy or (worse case) boot looping - just make a nandroid backup before you start screwing with the settings.

With franco's app you get hotplug, that might save you a little.

And aside from that, there are apps in the market that will turn off data automatically when you turn the screen off, so that way you wont get push notifications while it's asleep however you may save some battery.

Mind you, I don't do all these things. Just some tips. My main line of defense for battery is using wifi whenever possible.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Everything Zero said... I tend to disagree on the power management / data mgmt type apps.. I just don't think they're necessary to get good battery life and I don't like data being disabled at all.

Also in your post you mentioned you're on "4G here or there".. if your phone is switching between 3G and 4G a lot it will absolutely murder your battery. If you aren't somewhere where you get a clear, consistent 4G signal, then just switch to 3G only (or wifi, obviously).

Other than that follow his advice about things you don't need active/running if you aren't using them (BT, GPS, NFC, etc...). Also adjust your brightness.. auto-brightness actually uses up battery since you now have that light sensor active constantly. I prefer to use that brightness slider you get in the pulldown with AOKP... I'm constantly adjusting it and never need it higher than like 50%, screen looks great at that level, I'll dim it down happily if I can as well.

Reactions: zero neck

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Everything Zero said... I tend to disagree on the power management / data mgmt type apps.. I just don't think they're necessary to get good battery life and I don't like data being disabled at all.

Also in your post you mentioned you're on "4G here or there".. if your phone is switching between 3G and 4G a lot it will absolutely murder your battery. If you aren't somewhere where you get a clear, consistent 4G signal, then just switch to 3G only (or wifi, obviously).

Other than that follow his advice about things you don't need active/running if you aren't using them (BT, GPS, NFC, etc...). Also adjust your brightness.. auto-brightness actually uses up battery since you now have that light sensor active constantly. I prefer to use that brightness slider you get in the pulldown with AOKP... I'm constantly adjusting it and never need it higher than like 50%, screen looks great at that level, I'll dim it down happily if I can as well.

Word i dont use the power data mgmt apps myself, but some people report great results from them.
I dont turn anything on or off, i leave auto brightness on and wifi on all day, bc i'm not going crazy to keep my battery maxed out - i just keep a charger with me when possible, and cope with it if it's running low.

The 3g/4g switch is also a good idea - will save ya some heart ache when you are constantly having handoffs which eat at the battery.

With auto brightness - it's better if you're the kind of person to put the brightness up and forget to put it back down, aside from that it will take extra battery utilizing the sensor, but for me it's a pick your poison deal. And it's just easier for me not to think about it.

I never turn gps off, but i keep nfc off bc i hardly, if ever, use it.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Word i dont use the power data mgmt apps myself, but some people report great results from them.
I dont turn anything on or off, i leave auto brightness on and wifi on all day, bc i'm not going crazy to keep my battery maxed out - i just keep a charger with me when possible, and cope with it if it's running low.

The 3g/4g switch is also a good idea - will save ya some heart ache when you are constantly having handoffs which eat at the battery.

With auto brightness - it's better if you're the kind of person to put the brightness up and forget to put it back down, aside from that it will take extra battery utilizing the sensor, but for me it's a pick your poison deal. And it's just easier for me not to think about it.

Bolded part is me exactly and drives me crazy with everone's quest for 3-day battery life or whatever.... I'm the same, bring a charger if I'm going to be away from home for long and think there's a chance I will need it, and really, thats it. Don't get how people go so crazy trying to squeeze out an extra 20 minutes here or an hour there out of a charge... Almost everyone who freaks out about that stuff don't actually NEED that kind of battery life anyway but act like its such a huge factor. Just bring your charger. Lol. Ok, /rant.

Btw that rant wasn't directed toward you, OP.. asking for suggestions is fine, lol. :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My take on the battery life thing is this...the batt life on this thing is not so hot at least with the standard battery.
Installing a custom rom and kernel and tweaking voltages and underclocking an stuff will get you a few more minutes here or there...maybe even a couple hours.
Problem here is evaluating batt life. For scientific purposes you would need to do the EXACT same usage from one charge to the next charge to compare. Who would do that? In the real world pretty much impossible.
This phone is so awesome, I live with the somewhat dismal battery gladly. :)

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

I normally use auto bright but I also didn't think about the device needing the sensor to adjust light levels. I have mine set just below 50% and I'm gonna see where it takes me over the next few days.

Dropped from LiquidNexus via XparentTapatalk2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Franco's newer kernels are actually better on battery life and have been bug free for me so far. I'd recommend either r121 or r133.

Your ROM itself usually doesn't play that big a role in battery life. However, I would suggest a black/inverted themed ROM. When a portion of your screen is black, the pixels are off and use no battery power, so having a black background in GMail/SMS/Contacts/etc helps. A good example is Black Ice, available of RootzWiki.

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You can also grab ICS&black if you're running liquidsmooth 1.25. Nice theme. Everything inverted.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I never use nfc but I had no idea it drank battery juice along the way. Thanks davey

I'm pretty sure it's negligible... I went through the 1st 3 months of my phone never thinking about it and usually getting great battery life on my rom and settings. Then I noticed it and started disabling it but never saw any noticeable difference. Now I use wallet sometimes so I just just leave it on.

Tl;dr... Theoretically it can only improve battery life to turn it off, in practice never made any difference to me.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks of course. This didn't give me the inverted colors you were talking about. Where can I get that?

polefighter

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted about 3 weeks ago. My 1st ROM was AXI0M Patient Zero/Phase Two V15 with 3.0.26 Trinity Kernel. Battery was not all that good and I have the 2100mAh extended battery. I like AXI0M, I have not tried any of the others yet but I know I will eventually and I have a feeling I'll always come back to AXI0M Patient Zero. This is extremely stable & battery life is great. (see attached)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power