Got tired of waiting for "the update" bit the bullet and rooted!

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So like everyone else I got tired of the reboots and crappy signal but I really loved my nexus so I did some research, watched some galaxy nexus rooting videos and I did it! Took me about 2 hours total but I must say it was well worth because this is truly a great device.

So after rooting I'm now running 4.0.4 ICS gummy 0.9.5 Toro and imseyons kernel 3.0.26 / 3.1 and the device is absolutely amazing!!

Now I have a flawless nexus with no more radio issues, no more rebooting, camera issues or mic cut outs. Not to mention battery life is up about 20%, getting about 10-12 hours of moderate usage now.

I was terrified to do this initially but it really isn't that hard..wugs toolkit made it all very easy.

Screw waiting don't be afraid to root, these developers are amazing and there is lots of great ROMS for the nexus.

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Got tired of waiting for "the update" bit the bullet and root

I just flashed 4.0.4 without rooting and its been amazing. Now if all the whiny people would follow this path lol

veloslave#AC

Banned
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I just flashed 4.0.4 without rooting and its been amazing. Now if all the whiny people would follow this path lol

You are right, it is a great improvement... BUT all active forum members that are not techie or comfortable with rooting... or just don't want to do it on principal... they are all whiners?

Seriously... from one geek to another... we really do not need to be putting people down for not rooting.

Yo OP, welcome and yes... big improvement. My data connectivity is far from perfect but it is better. I am hoping the delay is because there is something even better than the currently leaked radios/ROM but that is most likely a pipe dream. I am on the vanilla 4.0.4 and frankly the battery use is still over the top. I really didn't want to but I gave in and bought the Seideo one... over priced bulky and heavy but I needed to get through a day and I was only getting 1/2 to 3/4 a day with moderate use.... got tired of carrying a spare in my pocket 24/7.

I have been holding off on trying other ROMS because I am waiting for the Verizon OTA version to shake things up (or not) and I put so much personalization into the one I am on... and I don't trust backups all that much, data yes but setup and install no. As soon as the Verizon OTA comes out and there are new ROMS based on it or there is no changes available... it is time to play with some different ROMS.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So like everyone else I got tired of the reboots and crappy signal but I really loved my nexus so I did some research, watched some galaxy nexus rooting videos and I did it! Took me about 2 hours total but I must say it was well worth because this is truly a great device.

So after rooting I'm now running 4.0.4 ICS gummy 0.9.5 Toro and imseyons kernel 3.0.26 / 3.1 and the device is absolutely amazing!!

Now I have a flawless nexus with no more radio issues, no more rebooting, camera issues or mic cut outs. Not to mention battery life is up about 20%, getting about 10-12 hours of moderate usage now.

I was terrified to do this initially but it really isn't that hard..wugs toolkit made it all very easy.

Screw waiting don't be afraid to root, these developers are amazing and there is lots of great ROMS for the nexus.

Nice. Good work, man! Way to take control of your device and unlock its true potential!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: oxymoron

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Congrats on rooting, it's a wonderful thing that gives you endless options.

Robbie Adams

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Awesome dude! I am still on 4.0.1 on my Galaxy Nexus from Rogers and the wait for the upgrade is insane... I might have to take the issue in my own hands, like you did, but I never rooted my phone before. Help lol

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Awesome dude! I am still on 4.0.1 on my Galaxy Nexus from Rogers and the wait for the upgrade is insane... I might have to take the issue in my own hands, like you did, but I never rooted my phone before. Help lol

See the guide in my signature ;).

waltercln

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you use the galaxy nexus tool kit? Shouldn't have taken two hours. I was up and running in 30 mins with ROM and kernel. Then again this is your first time I assume you did a lot of reading. Yes battery life after taking this route has been amazing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Are you sure your version is getting the update from Google? Use this to check--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=de.cbruegg.officialupdate&token=MFtUwmC9
Mine from Virgin in Canada wasn't so a few weeks ago using Galaxy Nexus Toolkit I:
1) unlocked
2) rooted
3) flashed stock 4.0.2 that was the correct Google-updating version
4) un-rooted
5) re-locked
(whole process took about an hour - super simple using that program)

Then that night 4.0.4 came in OTA!

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Same here.. AOKP has been great.. Aside from fixing most issues it had some really nice enhancements .. UI and other performance enhancements. I have fallen in like all over again with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Just like my car, I don't leave my phone stock. I rooted my Nexus 5 mins after I got it home after my upgrade was up. Welcome to the club. :D

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Now the addiction of flashing new ROMS has created a whole new obsession LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton