Recommended restore order after installing a ROM?

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally decided to install my first ROM (LiquidSmooth 1.35) last night. So far so good. After spending about 2 hours getting all my "stuff" back in place, I have some questions for you flashing pros out there.

What is the best way to get your non-system apps back (with data)? Do you skip over the whole login for your Google account on first boot, then use something like Titanium Backup (assuming that is possible - not sure how you would get Titanium back without gaining access to Google play/market)? Do you just login and let the market restore handle everything?

Any way to safely back up and restore things like ringtone selections for individuals, SMS messages, or default alarms, without tripping over the whole "don't restore system apps because it will screw up everything" dilemma?

I know I've seen answers to some of these things in various posts but I couldn't find them using search.

Thanks in advance.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Good questions...

My system:
- Log in to all gmail accounts (I have 4, lol) and set which things I want syncing with each (1 is my everything account, 1 gets gmail only, 1 gets gmail and calendar, etc)..

- Open market and download TiBu and the pro key -- Now here's an optional tip, in TiBu, hit menu and under more settings you can select Create update.zip. This will make a flashable zip on your sd card that you can flash immediately after your ROM + Gapps that will install TiBu before you even boot up... Now some people say it doesn't always work right but so far I've been lucky with it and its worked like a charm, so I say go for it.

- In TiBu you do your batch restore for apps... Like you smartly said NEVER restore system apps or data, period... I try to only restore apps with data if I really need the data, and you shouldn't do it for things like facebook or stuff that syncs actively. out of my 70-80 apps, I restore about half of them with data. Then do another batch restore and at the top simply select App only without data. I have never had an issue letting TiBu restore pretty much all my apps so I never use market restore, I find TiBu to be quicker and more reliable as market restore sometimes misses apps or doesn't complete. Just be selective in what you allow to restore with data.

- Grab from the market SMS Backup and Restore by Ritesh Sahu. Before wiping to install your ROM, backup your sms with it, afterwards use it to restore. It works flawlessly!

- Ringtones for individuals I don't think there's a "safe" way to restore unfortunately, not one I know of, I don't set personal ringtones anyways. For Alarms you can use a 3rd party alarm app and restore that with data, so you are not screwing with system data. I recommend Alarm Klock... I've been using it for like 8 months. Its got a lot of great options. There are plenty of alarm apps out there though.

- After you're done restoring your apps, setting everything up, etc just reboot to let your apps settle in / line up and caches organize and you should be good to go. Whole process usually takes me anywhere from 30-40 minutes.

Let me know if you got any other questions :)

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I tell it not to restore anything in the settings.

Then I start the phone up, sign into google play, download mybackup pro then restore the APK's and data (and contacts, and logs.,...) from there

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
After flashing more roms, you will cut that 2 hour time into under a half hour. It gets second nature to crackflashers.
I do all my app data restoring with tibu. Not sure about individual ringtones for specific contacts, but alarms, call logs, and mms can be restored with titanium.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

Gherkin Savorus

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So when you say that alarms, call logs, mms can be restored with TiBu, I assume you're talking about the "green" entries in the backup list? I have seen several posts warning away from ever restoring the red or green entries via TiBu.

Thanks for the tip on the SMS backup. I'll check out MyBackup Pro as well. And I didn't realize the "Zip" option in TiBu was for the app itself. I was thinking it was some more compact storage mechanism, although reading it now in the app it is explained in a straightforward manner.

I am thankful that the Nova launcher has a backup option. I hate dragging all those icons back into place ;-) Does Apex have a similar option?

Thanks again for all the help.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
So when you say that alarms, call logs, mms can be restored with TiBu, I assume you're talking about the "green" entries in the backup list? I have seen several posts warning away from ever restoring the red or green entries via TiBu.

Thanks for the tip on the SMS backup. I'll check out MyBackup Pro as well. And I didn't realize the "Zip" option in TiBu was for the app itself. I was thinking it was some more compact storage mechanism, although reading it now in the app it is explained in a straightforward manner.

I am thankful that the Nova launcher has a backup option. I hate dragging all those icons back into place ;-) Does Apex have a similar option?

Thanks again for all the help.

Yea contacts and mms are green and not sure if they qualify as system data, but I recently started restoring them with no problems. I hate losing that stuff so in a pinch I tried em out.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
You've got to find what works for you. I sign into my google account right away and allow for calendar, gmail, contacts,etc to all sync up. I do backup restore (wifi, settings, etc). A few Dev's in the past once recommended in a thread I followed to allow the Market to download and install apps (market restore). I like doing this (and I have a lot of apps) because it really doesn't take that long and i like the idea of a fresh install of my apps. While I'm waiting for my apps to download, I go into settings and tweak anything in there that didn't get restored. After this, I go into Rom Control and begin applying all the tweaks I want including my kernel tweaks. Next, I restore any downloaded apk's I have stored on my SD card. After this, the majority of my apps are now installed. I go into tibu and restore any remaining apps which are missing and uninstall any apps which I don't want. There are a few safe apps which I perform a data only restore. Finally, I restore a backup copy of Nova launcher and proceed to sign into Facebook, haxsync, Google talk, etc. Lastly, I reboot my phone and call it good. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Apex has backup/restore as well, yes. And the same guy who makes that SMS Backup and Restore app makes a Call Log Backup and Restore, I believe.. should work fine, I just never used it because I don't need my call logs after a wipe but sms for sure :)