help with cwm

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

last night, I finally got around to unlocking the bootloader and rooting my GSN. I have download the rom manager onto the phone and flashed it.

after rebooting the phone, I would go back into rom manager and tried to reboot into recovery to make a backup of what I currently have, which is stock 4.0.2. But everytime it reboot, it takes me to the android guy on his back with the red triangle.

There I press vol up + power button, and I get:
- reboot system now
- apply update from /cache
- wipe data/factor reset
- wipe cache partition

none of which has anything to do with CWM?. Also if I tell the phone to reboot into recovery, the phone tells me that the rom manager has stop responding, then the phone reboots into the screen w/ the android on his back w/ the red triangle.

can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You need to flash recovery each time you want to use it while you are running stock. Its a fail safe.

If you rename the stock recovery, you can stop this from happening, or if you flash a custom rom it will not continue happening.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
What zero neck said. Deleting the /system/boot-from-recovery.p file should fix this (correct me if I'm wrong; I just woke up..) if you are so inclined.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
So I've been on the fence about this whole rooting process, plus I'm really really green (almost terrified) when it comes to rooting. I've read many post about rooting and all the joys it brings! That being said, where can I get the most simplest and easiest method to root my VZW Galaxy Nexus. It's either now or wait till later this year for an update.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Use the toolkit, which is a sticky up on top of this forum. That said, I would get the same toolkit from here-

[GNex TOOLKIT V6.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developers

This is the current version. It really is as simple as running this toolkit and doing the option to unlock-root-flash CWM from the toolkit. Have the ROM you want to try already downloaded and ready to go. 10 minutes for a veteran start to finish, maybe 15-20 for a noob.

Please note that the first time you do this, your phone WILL be wiped. It is annoying that first time, which is why we try to get people to do this before they get invested in stock :).

Read through that thread I linked, and the ROM of your choice... CM, AOKP, or one of the others. Start at the most recent, and work your way back and you can get a sense of the types of problems people see with flashing along with how to fix them. Suppress the terror. At most, the first time should be mildly exciting :). It is easier than you think.

EDIT- http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ont-panic-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-nexus.html

Link here is excellent reference too.

Reactions: zero neck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan