BOOYAH

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought this phone was impressively snappy and customizable before.....WOW am I impressed with my first custom ROM! Love it so far. I'm liking Nova too. I never had any radio issues before, but notice the 3 bars of LTE?! I work in a bunker...lower level of a skyscraper. NOBODY gets LTE away from the windows. So I'd be excited for the new radios if you haven't flashed them. Only issue...my contacts didn't sync from google and I get an error trying for it to sync (2nd ss). Also noticed a "unfortunately gaaps didn't process" pop up a couple of times. Any ideas? Thanks for all the help guys. My advice to other noobs is read the stickies etc. well, but don't over-read, especially if using a toolkit. I spent hours on what now would take me a few minutes at best lol.

Also noticed the screen looks lighter at the bottom of my device in these screenshots. Check my phone and now I can kind of see it. Thing is it's always the bottom part of the screen facing the ground (can flip upside down on this ROM) so it's not my screen and I've never noticed it before. Doesn't really bother me, but if that's a setting I'm unaware of (have auto brightness) I'd appreciate knowing.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Also noticed the screen looks lighter at the bottom of my device in these screenshots. Check my phone and now I can kind of see it. Thing is it's always the bottom part of the screen facing the ground (can flip upside down on this ROM) so it's not my screen and I've never noticed it before. Doesn't really bother me, but if that's a setting I'm unaware of (have auto brightness) I'd appreciate knowing.

That is the gradient background that is stored in your systemUI.apk. You can flash a theme as most of them have a black background.

There is a mod to just get rid of the gradient if you don't want to flash a full theme.
[ZipThemer]**May05**UPDATED-Black sh*t out / No more orange ! - Galaxy Nexus Themes - RootzWiki
Its for zipthemer, which is an invaluable app for modding our phone. Very easy to use. It makes a flashable zip out of zipthemer files and only installs the mod without screwing up any other mods you have installed.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL.. see how easy it was and how much better your phone is now?? Good job sir, congrats on taking control of your device :)

Everything davey said is spot on.. When I run AOKP I use a black gradient MOD as well, looks much better than the stock gradient.

Regarding your other issue.. I'm assuming you flashed GAPPS right after the ROM, before booting up correct? If not make sure you do, and you used the latest GAPPS package, which would have been on the bottom of the download page for AOKP I believe. If you didn't do it right, the best thing to do to avoid errors is boot into recovery again, wipe data/factory reset, flash the ROM, flash the Gapps, reboot, just like that. Yeah annoying but hopefully you did it right and if not won't make that mistake again.

Also, are all of your contacts linked to your google account and not verizon's backup assistant, I presume? Some newer android users keep them on Verizon's thing, which you don't want to do. Just in case that's a problem you can log in to my verizon on your computer, find the online backup assistant, select all contacts and export as .csv file, then import that file into google.com/contacts for your main google account. That way you'll never need VZW's stuff again.

If you have any questions, troubles, issues, whatever... never panic, just pop on here to the chat board and ask someone, we'll help you figure out whats up :)

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks homies!! Good info as usual. I definitely added and flashed the latest GAPPS zip file from AOKP, so I believe it's done right. Man I hope so because I've been taking every spare minute at work to setup my homesceens. That said, I'm pretty sure I read and/or saw that Nova Launcher has the ability to store your homescreen settings. If that's the case it would only take me a few minutes to redo everything. Just missed a phone call, unlocked and it says "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped." I don't know, everything seems fine but those occasional popups and missing contacts. I did backup my contacts to google, but I couldn't find them on the website. I'll check again, but that's a great I idea regarding importing them from Verizon.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's definitely the right GAPPS file (gapps20120422 0b30df25505799b5e10c0b6409f73137). Anything else that could cause those errors? Eveything seems fine...well great...other than those occasional pop up errors and no people contacts. I have the markets, maps, nav, etc. etc. Any way I can just re-flash that file from my sd card in CWM or do I have to do the "whole" shebang. I could do it that way here at work, otherwise have to wait to use my pc at home.

Also, am I correct in thinking you only have to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache to flash the gradient background mod davey game me above? Also, I've downloaded Zipthemer, but other than seeing on Rootzwiki "THEY ARE NOT FLASHABLE WITHOUT RUNNING THROUGH ZIPTHEMER FIRST!!" I haven't a clue how to use it. I understand it's general purpose (after reading a bit). I can figure out the +theme but +output *output??? If someone knows of a noob friendly read please just point me there. Otherwise, I'd appreciate a quick walk through.

EDIT: found a post from atticus182 on XDA on how to use ZipThemer. Would appreciate an answer to my other two questions though.

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: help?

I read I could just wipe the two caches and reflash the gaps from my sdcard...so I did. No dice. Balls. Can't even open people...probably BC I cleared the data etc in apps. Sucks BC all else is fine but definitely need my contacts. They don't exist on Google/contacts either which is weird BC I know that Google backup was checked. I import as suggested. Guess I'll redo everything when I get home...unless someone can think of something in the meantime.

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I had to export from Verizon then import into Google contacts just like the other guy said. However when I imported the csv file it didn't show like it was doing anything. Come to find out after I logged out of Google and logged back in after a couple of minutes all my contacts were there . Hope this helps! By the way I did this on a PC not from my phone.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Everyone needs to import into Google the first time. Its like the jump sequence from The Matrix.

Rest assured though, that it is worth it. First, you can clean them up after importing much easier on a computer logged into Gmail than on any phone. And they are now in the cloud, so you can't lose them. Lastly,. never worry about them again with any Android phone.

The random processes crashing is something you are going to want to fix. Those should be closer to "exceedingly rare" than they sound like they are now. I would start with wiping cache only and flashing the ROM again, then gapps. I am not running the same ROM, but you should not be getting those errors but rarely, if ever.

Have you flashed the upgraded 4.0.4 radios yet?

[CDMA][Radio][Bootloader]4.0.4 IMM76K Radios and Bootloader - xda-developers

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I would maybe want to start fresh as well now, after reflashing the gapps things can go a little wonky, and a full wipe is the best way to fix. You can indeed have Nova back up your settings and homescreens, and restore that after you set everything up again, it will be backed up to your sd card which won't be wiped when you wipe data in recovery. Just remember to back it up with Nova (lol yes some people just forget to go into Nova settings and hit backup ;) )

Otherwise I just want to make sure that if you are using any backup apps, such as Titanium Backup, you aren't restoring system data. You can use it to backup and restore your user apps and data ok usually, but don't ever try system data, or you will get errors like the ones it sounds like you had.

Let us know how it goes!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
@ laraque...yes definitely have the new 4.0.4 radios. Ok guys, thanks! I'll do it all from scratch. Have to spend a bit of time with my live in GF first as I was messing with this all night last night (skerrd noob lol). I expect it to take maybe 15 mins tops this time.

Ohhhh last thing..2def...I have TiBu but didn't really use it expect to backup. I have so many backups lol. So wiping data/factory reset DOES NOT wipe your /sdcard?! So I don't need to move backups to my computer? Will def check back and hope to post another booyah lol. Also will move contacts before doing anything.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
@ laraque...yes definitely have the new 4.0.4 radios. Ok guys, thanks! I'll do it all from scratch. Have to spend a bit of time with my live in GF first as I was messing with this all night last night (skerrd noob lol). I expect it to take maybe 15 mins tops this time.

Ohhhh last thing..2def...I have TiBu but didn't really use it expect to backup. I have so many backups lol. So wiping data/factory reset DOES NOT wipe your /sdcard?! So I don't need to move backups to my computer? Will def check back and hope to post another booyah lol. Also will move contacts before doing anything.

Yes def do the contacts to google thing.. Will make your Android life MUCH easier!

Tibu backups are different as it will back up all of your apps with their data. It has an option to back up system data but as I said never use that! The user app data comes in handy with game progress such things and other stuff that's a pain to set up again, like Light Flow for example if you use it.

Before flashing, have tibu do a batch backup of all apps and data. After flashing a ROM doing a full wipe (right your sd card is NOT wiped), I like to uncheck the Restore apps box during setup. Then I'll download tibu pro, go to batches, Select batch restore apps with data. At the top I'll hit deselect all, and scroll through selecting just the apps I need data with, like I said games and stuff like that. Have it restore them.. Then do another batch, deselect all, then click app only without data, and select all the other apps you want. As a rule of thumb try to limit the ones that you restore with data, but you can safely restore just about any without it. It works quicker and more reliably than market auto-restore, IMO. Don't restore data to any system apps or anything that has to sync regularly such as Facebook or whatever. If you have any doubts about whether it's a good idea just don't restore data with it. Always err on the side of caution :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ConTejas