Activation after Force Restarts

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue. I am running AOKP Milestone 5 as well as Franco Kernel nightly r158 (also had this problem on the most recent stable Franco Kernel.) At least once a day my phone crashes and restarts but when it reboots, it wants to activate my phone. I do not loose everything like I have to set up the phone like after a factory reset, but after the boot animation flash screen, I get a brief screen saying activating then things continue normally. Any idea what is causing the crash and what is causing it to want to "activate " an already activated device after a crash?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You were probably under heavy signal load and it rebooted to try and force the signal. I had it frequently on the older 4.0.4 leaks.

Reactions: 2defmouze

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I am confused. Why would it want to reactivate my device after the crash? Are there any fixes for this? My guess would be a later AOKP build that removes yhis bug, right?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am confused. Why would it want to reactivate my device after the crash? Are there any fixes for this? My guess would be a later AOKP build that removes yhis bug, right?

No. It's your radios/baseband, at least from what I can tell. I was able to force it on pretty much any rom.

It reboots b/c it can't find a signal and freezes; the reboot causes a force signal detection, hence the activation (which, in essence, is reacquiring the network).

Have you tried flashing the new 4.0.4 radios?

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
No where can I get them? Can I do that without flashing a new ROM similar to flashing new kernels?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No where can I get them? Can I do that without flashing a new ROM similar to flashing new kernels?

There's a radios thread in this very subforum. I suggest searching for "radios" or looking back a page or two. It's created by zero neck, a fellow advisor here.

And yes, radios are backwards compatible. Flashing new radios affects nothing else; flashing new roms does not affect the radios either. (Same with flashing a kernel).

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So sadly this solution did not work as mid day today after flashing the new 4.0.4 radios last night I had one time today when my phone did a random reset then did the activation screen again. Any other suggestions?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So sadly this solution did not work as mid day today after flashing the new 4.0.4 radios last night I had one time today when my phone did a random reset then did the activation screen again. Any other suggestions?

Change your kernel and rom to something that gives a bit more juice? What app were you using?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen a couple of time to me as well.
I re-downloaded the ROM / kernel /theme (Check the M5d Numbers), did a complete wipe and reflashed everything.

If you use a program like Titanium backup, only install the app not app + data. This can cause some strange behavior.

This solved my problem.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen a couple of time to me as well.
I re-downloaded the ROM / kernel /theme (Check the M5d Numbers), did a complete wipe and reflashed everything.

If you use a program like Titanium backup, only install the app not app + data. This can cause some strange behavior.

This solved my problem.

I agree with this. Wipe everything and eliminate any possible conflicts. This rebooting occurs with several things going on--trying to find signal, shortage of memory, etc. Essentially, there's a decent amount of moving parts that you should start anew to properly diagnose.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks bakerbert will reflash tonight if I get this again. I am running Franco Kernel r158 nightly and AOKP M5