Lost Root and Everyone is Confusing Me

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I sooo want this ROM. I want to give up, but it's really limiting my power. Let's keep trying to fix this problem. My update: tried using ROM Toolbox, but still aborted installation.

I can't make my phone look cool like everyone else's :(.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I sooo want this ROM. I want to give up, but it's really limiting my power. Let's keep trying to fix this problem. My update: tried using ROM Toolbox, but still aborted installation.

I can't make my phone look cool like everyone else's :(.

I think the only clear way to make this work is to wipe the phone, take it back to stock with a toolkit (not the one you've been using--that seems somewhat convoluted TBH), and then go from there.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
where are we at with this?
I agree if you've tried many of these options a full reset to stock is probably the best starting place.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
where are we at with this?
I agree if you've tried many of these options a full reset to stock is probably the best starting place.

I feel like we've tried every which way but going back to stock, unlocking and rooting from there?

Is that an accurate assessment?

NoOneHereYet

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I am a noob and had and still have absolutely no idea what I was doing when I rooted my phone a few months back. Now I updated to the stock 4.0.4 and my root is all screwed up.

I searched about 20-30 forums to find how to fix my problem, and everyone is saying different things and I think none of them have worked for me so far.

I have a Verizon GNex and a Mac, so none of the windows-based toolkits work for me.

So my Flash ClockworkMod Recovery doesn't work on ROM Manager, showing the "an error has occurred blah privilege blah" prompt. I have downloaded the new su.zip file everyone said to download but have no idea what to do with it. I put it on my sd card, but it's just sitting there when I go into Astro File Manager. I've seen a lot of places showing how to install it using Wug's Toolkit, but since I have a Mac I can't use that.

When I try to access Recovery Mode using bootloader, I get the android thingy with the red triangle. I tried downloading ClockworkMod through my computer and installing it to my GNex using terminal, but I keep getting an error when it installs.

I've read that you have to copy the su.zip file to "the root" in your GNex? Wtf does that even mean? I thought "root" was a verb in programming jargon? Now it's a noun too?

I know I am a noob, I just want to fix this problem. I learned my lesson about updating without protecting my root. I'm going to install a custom ROM and Kernel anyways.

Thanks in advanced.

Just install the SU from the market if you don't know how to use ADB or much about android... Here is the link : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.noshufou.android.su&token=lHYLZM1P

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I feel like we've tried every which way but going back to stock, unlocking and rooting from there?

Well he has root, since he flashed cwm. ... so
Maybe we can try fast boot flashing a different version of recovery and then try to get aokp on there.

Or fast boot boot recovery but without a backup that is a little less safe.

mikekrafick

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I thought if I unlocked and rooted I wouldn't receive OTA updates?????? I have SU app but it's empty, no activity. When I check my root checker app it shows that I am not properly rooted. Do I need to re-unlock my boot loader? If you can't tell, new to all of this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain what fast boot is????

Fast boot accesses your phone thru command prompt or terminal when your phone is in botloadr mode.

I'll try to get u some help in a short while, gotta drive home from work :)

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm back. Yea, sort of. I tried locking-unlock-root-unroot-lock from the PM's last night, but I couldn't unroot following those directions from the Mac guide here. Terminal can't find my device once I get into boot loader.

If you look at the Mac guide here for unrooting, it says to go to terminal and type in something like ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/reboot boat loader or something like that. The command wouldn't work unless I had USB debugging checked. But when I would get into bootloader, Terminal couldn't find my device like when I didn't have USB Debugging on, so none of the commands worked. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

EDIT: and if I lock and unlock, i.e. wipe the sd, I still start with 4.0.4. Is there a way to go back to 4.0.2?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I thought if I unlocked and rooted I wouldn't receive OTA updates?????? I have SU app but it's empty, no activity. When I check my root checker app it shows that I am not properly rooted. Do I need to re-unlock my boot loader? If you can't tell, new to all of this.

unlocked and rooted will still recieve ota's. you need to run a custom rom or at least have a custom recovery to avoid the ota.

I think the easiest way is to reroot replacing the old superuser with the updated one. The other option is to download the latest cwm recovery, fastboot boot that on your phone, and then flash the latest superuser while it's on your sd card. Not sure how familiar you are with fastboot but it's not all that difficult. And hopefully it works unlike OP ...

OP:

I'm back. Yea, sort of. I tried locking-unlock-root-unroot-lock from the PM's last night, but I couldn't unroot following those directions from the Mac guide here. Terminal can't find my device once I get into boot loader.

If you look at the Mac guide here for unrooting, it says to go to terminal and type in something like ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/reboot boat loader or something like that. The command wouldn't work unless I had USB debugging checked. But when I would get into bootloader, Terminal couldn't find my device like when I didn't have USB Debugging on, so none of the commands worked. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

EDIT: and if I lock and unlock, i.e. wipe the sd, I still start with 4.0.4. Is there a way to go back to 4.0.2?

To go back to 4.02, you will need to dl this (https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mysid-icl53f-factory-65895fa8.tgz), un-tar (like unzip) the file, and then place the folder in the same folder that contains fastboot.exe.

Then you put the phone in usb debugging mode (i always just leave my phone in debugging), bootloader unlocked, connected to the cpu via usb - put the phone in bootloader mode, then open the command window and navigate to the folder you have fastboot in (for this post, i will assume it is set up on your desktop, and i will assume the folder that contains fastboot is named "adb-fastboot", because as you probably have realized, where this folder is determines how you put in your commands):
Code:
cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot
~/desktop/adb-fastboot/ chmod +x flash-all.sh
watch that and see if it installs the bootloader as well - if it does not, when the flash all is complete, flash the bootloader like so:
Code:
~/desktop/adb-fastboot/ fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img

And if the "~/desktop/adb-fastboot/" path isnt working, after you cd desktop and cd adb-fastboot, you can try entering the commands as such:
Code:
./ chmod +x flash-all.sh

or for example:  

./fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img

same goes for radios as the bootloader -let me know if the radios dont flash and we'll do them manually as well.

Last edited:

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay, but where is fastboot.exe? I have a "fastboot" in my adb-fastboot folder but not with the exe. Where do I get it and put it?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, but where is fastboot.exe? I have a "fastboot" in my adb-fastboot folder but not with the exe. Where do I get it and put it?

on a mac it doesnt say .exe, it just says fastboot, but the file is an executable. it's in the folder you get with superboot/all over. you have it or you couldnt have unlocked or anything

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
on a mac it doesnt say .exe, it just says fastboot, but the file is an executable. it's in the folder you get with superboot/all over. you have it or you couldnt have unlocked or anything

Okay, so that's the fastboot I need in the adb-fastboot folder, i.e. there is no other fastboot named similarly that has a different function? I'm sorry I'm being noobish, I just want to be extra sure.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
can you also try this while phone is in fastboot please:
enter these commands in terminal to make sure your phone is being seen:
cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot
./adb devices

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
shoot i gotta go get the girl from the train and probably catch dinner.
please let me know what you try and i'll be on the computer when i get back.
sorry to have to run off.
gl

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so that's the fastboot I need in the adb-fastboot folder, i.e. there is no other fastboot named similarly that has a different function? I'm sorry I'm being noobish, I just want to be extra sure.

that's correct. you can right click the fastboot file and get info on it- it will say under file type that it's an executable (exe)

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
When I'm in bootloader I get:

daniel-levines-macbook:~ daniellevine$ cd Desktop
daniel-levines-macbook:Desktop daniellevine$ cd adb-fastboot
daniel-levines-macbook:adb-fastboot daniellevine$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

daniel-levines-macbook:adb-fastboot daniellevine$ ~/desktop/adb-fastboot/ chmod +x flash-all.sh
-bash: /Users/daniellevine/desktop/adb-fastboot/: is a directory
daniel-levines-macbook:adb-fastboot daniellevine$

When my phone is on I get:

daniel-levines-macbook:adb-fastboot daniellevine$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
0146B5040500C004 device

daniel-levines-macbook:adb-fastboot daniellevine$

I switched back and forth with USB debugging and tried different combos. Still no luck.

I tried your commands zero neck, but no luck. Same issue when I was trying to unroot, no recognition. Can I try anything else?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87