So now that I am rooted, what are the pro's?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I know that root access allows for custom ROM's, kernels, etc, but what about free wifi tethering? Can I be a free hot spot, ot has Verizon cracked down on that?

What are the best apps to download? So far I've downloaded SetCPU, ROM Manager, Overclock widget, GLaDOS Control (kernel), and Superuser.

How fast can I overclock it to? Is there a better kernel than GLaDOS? I paid for GLaDos off teh app store.

I'm going to wait and download Jellybean before I install a custom ROM.

So. What other fun things should I be looking to do? App suggestions? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

andrewshah

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Simply download "Wireless Tether for Root" from the Play Store. Works like a charm, and VZ doesn't throttle 4g.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...LmFuZHJvaWQud2lmaS50ZXRoZXIiXQ&token=hWqRswul..

Believe it or not, there are already a few custom versions of Jellybean out there for the VZ Nexus, I'm downloading one as I type this!

Also, Franco Kernel is one of the most popular kernels. I always install the latest nightly, which allows overclocking up to 1.6ghz. Completely stable for me, but I'm not sure if Franco is compatible with Jellybean yet.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Simply download "Wireless Tether for Root" from the Play Store. Works like a charm, and VZ doesn't throttle 4g.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...LmFuZHJvaWQud2lmaS50ZXRoZXIiXQ&token=EYANE0XC..

Believe it or not, there are already a few custom versions of Jellybean out there for the VZ Nexus, I'm downloading one as I type this!

Also, Franco Kernel is one of the most popular kernels. I always install the latest nightly, which allows overclocking up to 1.6ghz. Completely stable for me, but I'm not sure if Franco is compatible with Jellybean yet.

Does Verizon charge $ for rooted wifi hotspot usage? Is there an app I need?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Not to highjack the thread... but I'm looking to better understand what Kernel is best for me. I'm an IT guy so I understand the differences between ROM / Kernel, however I have not been able to find a comparison chart, or description between the various Kernels.

In summary, I have a Verizon Gnex, unloocked and rooted and I've taken DMMARCK advice and Flashed Jelly Bean 4.1, / Jelly Belly 1.2 and am loving it. However, my Kernel Version is the 3.0.31 Linaro... I want to see what Kernels you guys tested and recommend.

I've done a search on the forum, but it comes back with a TON of information, but nothing directly pointing to Kernels running on JB...

Wanna get your thoughts....?

Thanks...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Not to highjack the thread... but I'm looking to better understand what Kernel is best for me. I'm an IT guy so I understand the differences between ROM / Kernel, however I have not been able to find a comparison chart, or description between the various Kernels.

In summary, I have a Verizon Gnex, unloocked and rooted and I've taken DMMARCK advice and Flashed Jelly Bean 4.1, / Jelly Belly 1.2 and am loving it. However, my Kernel Version is the 3.0.31 Linaro... I want to see what Kernels you guys tested and recommend.

I've done a search on the forum, but it comes back with a TON of information, but nothing directly pointing to Kernels running on JB...

Wanna get your thoughts....?

Thanks...

Trinity JB13 is my recommendation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried Trinity on JB, but I did use it on ICS and liked it a lot. Currently using Franco's kernel and loving it on JB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried Trinity on JB, but I did use it on ICS and liked it a lot. Currently using Franco's kernel and loving it on JB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

For once franco sort of let me down. Battery life was great but it was a bit laggier than even the stock kernel. So far, the only way my device has had the "best of both worlds" is with JB13.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Or you can just do what I tried the other day and turn on tethering by going into Settings. No app necessary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Guys.... Thank you very much for the advice and imput. I will give Trinity JB13 a shot... Is there a link that you can push me to in order to download it...?

Thank you again guys...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Guys.... Thank you very much for the advice and imput. I will give Trinity JB13 a shot... Is there a link that you can push me to in order to download it...?

Thank you again guys...

Check my Jelly Bean guide (in my signature); it's in the kernels post, so #4 in that thread (or you can use the table of contents.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
DMMACK... Thank you... and of course I have one last question... I followed your link and found (2) versions of the Kernel... AT1420-384-JB13 and AT1344-384-JB13.

Now I understand that the CPU is the difference, but my question is... is either one better or worse...? or does it depend on the phone type, I.e. Verizion Gnex... or does it even matter at all..?

Just as an FYI... I've been following so many of your links and post, I feel like a freakin stalker..!! lol. But good Stuff...!!

Thanks again...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
DMMACK... Thank you... and of course I have one last question... I followed your link and found (2) versions of the Kernel... AT1420-384-JB13 and AT1344-384-JB13.

Now I understand that the CPU is the difference, but my question is... is either one better or worse...? or does it depend on the phone type, I.e. Verizion Gnex... or does it even matter at all..?

Just as an FYI... I've been following so many of your links and post, I feel like a freakin stalker..!! lol. But good Stuff...!!

Thanks again...

Well it depends on your usage. Do you want to overclock a bit more and see how fast she can go? Go 1420 (I did). If you don't particularly care for overclocking, go for the 1344. Really, that's the only difference.

For kernels, I usually go big or go home, but others have different needs. Also, you want to give a new kernel a day, or at least a few hours, before giving up on it and saying it sucks. Kernels need time to settle!

And no worries, I enjoy helping!

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply... I was doing some side work last night and didn't get home till late.

So here is the update... I downloaded Trinity (Sounds kinky) last night and installed it this morning with a cup of coffee. Everything looks great, the little Trinity startup animation looks pretty cool... What are some of the other advantages that I can look forward too...?

I also noticed thru one of the links on the board, that thre is an APP to assist. A Kernel app if you will. Is this to assist in the tweaking of the Kernels or used for the creation of the Kernels...? Its a paid app, (which isnt an issue), but I just want to be sure that its not used for the Development of Kernels... By no means am I a developer at that level...

.............. Once again, thanks for everyones input and help...!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply... I was doing some side work last night and didn't get home till late.

So here is the update... I downloaded Trinity (Sounds kinky) last night and installed it this morning with a cup of coffee. Everything looks great, the little Trinity startup animation looks pretty cool... What are some of the other advantages that I can look forward too...?

I also noticed thru one of the links on the board, that thre is an APP to assist. A Kernel app if you will. Is this to assist in the tweaking of the Kernels or used for the creation of the Kernels...? Its a paid app, (which isnt an issue), but I just want to be sure that its not used for the Development of Kernels... By no means am I a developer at that level...

.............. Once again, thanks for everyones input and help...!!

The Trinity Kernel Toolbox? That and the franco.Kernel Updater app allow to change around settings, tweak things, and generally have a lot of control over your CPU, voltages, and other things (like color and volume controls).

In both, you can download new kernels, but franco's app allows you to actually "auto flash" kernels from there.

I highly recommend either.