Are there step by step Jelly Bean directions yet?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some sites that have instructions on how to flash JB ROM but none of it seems conducive to idiots s like me. Is there a webpage that has step by step flashing for rooted LTE phones? A link, if available, would be greatly appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Jellybean ROMs should not be flashed by noobies at this point, plain and simple, lol. Wait a few weeks until source code-based ROMs are available as they will be much more stable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Jellybean ROMs should not be flashed by noobies at this point, plain and simple, lol. Wait a few weeks until source code-based ROMs are available as they will be much more stable.

I appreciate the honesty! The last thing I wanna do is brick my phone. I'll wait for a more stable ROM if that is your advice. You've definitely put me in the right direction in the past. :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I do as I'm told by you guys lol. Wait I shall!

Lol yeah, these ported ROMs are fun and all but they aren't for everyone, and are definitely unpredictable. Things can go wrong more easily than with your average ROM, and can be scary for people new to this who don't know how you troubleshoot things on their own very well yet. Def should wait til we have some stable ROMs built from source, which will be soon enough :).

Reactions: zero neck

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I dont think anyone is really having a problems flashing the ROMS, its when they try it for 5 minutes decide they dont like it and then try to just wipe and flash their backups without giving much thought to what they are doing. Thats when its getting messed up. You can flash them just fine, but make sure you backup EVERYTHING including whatever you want saved on your SD card, and then if the time comes and you want to go back, just restore it to factory state and THEN restore your backups. Thats the step people are not doing and its causing problems for some people.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah, these ported ROMs are fun and all but they aren't for everyone, and are definitely unpredictable. Things can go wrong more easily than with your average ROM, and can be scary for people new to this who don't know how you troubleshoot things on their own very well yet. Def should wait til we have some stable ROMs built from source, which will be soon enough :).

Agreed. You might need to get your hands dirty with these ports. :)

Reactions: 2defmouze

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I dont think anyone is really having a problems flashing the ROMS, its when they try it for 5 minutes decide they dont like it and then try to just wipe and flash their backups without giving much thought to what they are doing. Thats when its getting messed up. You can flash them just fine, but make sure you backup EVERYTHING including whatever you want saved on your SD card, and then if the time comes and you want to go back, just restore it to factory state and THEN restore your backups. Thats the step people are not doing and its causing problems for some people.

While that covers a large amount of the issues, other issues like it hanging on the Google screen, different things not working, going from one rom to another, etc. are issues that can freak someone out if they have no prior context for things.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, I think people really need to know that BEFORE they start modding their phones, they need to already have the instructions and necessary files for restoring their phones back to stock condition. Just because a bunch of us are comfortable with flashing different ROMs all day long does not mean anybody else is ready to jump right in. There's a lot to learn when modding, if you ask me.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, I think people really need to know that BEFORE they start modding their phones, they need to already have the instructions and necessary files for restoring their phones back to stock condition. Just because a bunch of us are comfortable with flashing different ROMs all day long does not mean anybody else is ready to jump right in. There's a lot to learn when modding, if you ask me.

I agree. I sort of hope they read the softbrick portion of my guide beforehand, as a way for them to realize what you actually need to do if something goes awry. Hmmm, perhaps I'll make an edit.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The sad part is I'm an aerospace engineer. I build and design turbines yet I can't root a phone.

You can borrow my username anytime.

Surely, I jest. I can also relate. While I am adequately proficient in most things related to flashing... I am certainly not as knowledgeable as the three amigos. I am a PLC programmer/ automation tech... and at times, also a moron. We're on the same page, brother ;)

*clever signature*

Reactions: dmmarck

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The sad part is I'm an aerospace engineer. I build and design turbines yet I can't root a phone.

This made me laugh as I'm an aero engineer too (aircraft performance). I'm comfortable rooting and flashing ROMs, but will wait until AOKP has its version out (i.e., when the source is available). Just another couple of weeks before i should get my Nexus 7 anyway...:D

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This made me laugh as I'm an aero engineer too (aircraft performance). I'm comfortable rooting and flashing ROMs, but will wait until AOKP has its version out (i.e., when the source is available). Just another couple of weeks before i should get my Nexus 7 anyway...:D

Can't wait for nexus seven. Want it nowww.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa