Help? USB port not working, an I want to install Jelly Bean(Noob)

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm an absolute noob at rooting an dealing with ROM's. I bought my GNEX VZW already Rooted from a friend (Android 4.0.4 installed).. I've been reading threads on here, XDA, watching videos on Youtube an to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want to brick my phone. My GNEX's USB charging port doesn't work anymore, so I'm trying to do accomplish this via OTA.

I would LOVE-LOVE-LOVE to install Jelly Bean, but don't know how.

This is how far I've gotten in my mission:

I have Rom Manager installed.
I performed a Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
Then, I did a Backup Current Rom... That's it. I Don't what else to do.

To my understanding, you can download ROMs from ROM MANAGER. Is there any JB ROM's listed?

Can anyone tell me a step-by-step process on how to get JB, please?

Thanks, to anyone that is kind of enough to take their time to help me :)

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help? USB port not working, an I want to install Jelly Bean(N

It the port won't work how are you going to charge the phone. ?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

First, welcome :).

Second, please check out my Jelly Bean guide (in this subforum). It's also in my signature. That has a list of available ports, roms, etc. with instructions and tips. Also feel free to post in there and ask any question you have; it's active and we all have JB in some form or the other.

You should, in theory, be able to download the files on your phone. From there you flash them in ClockworkMod Recovery.

However, if your USB port is broken, I highly suggest to wait or to get that fixed before you do anything like Jelly Bean. There's a risk you may need to turn your phone back to stock and that's not something that easy to accomplish--if accomplishable at all--via "OTA" or WiFi. Jelly Bean is experimental and risky, and you want to ensure that if something screws up you understand both the consequences and how to fix it.

Reactions: Ivanamanation#IM

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I did view your sticky, but I was overwhelmed with the lingo an all. No fault to you... However, I think I'm going for to take your advice and fix the port. It's cheaper that way. It's better then bricking my phone and having to buy another one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I did view your sticky, but I was overwhelmed with the lingo an all. No fault to you... However, I think I'm going for to take your advice and fix the port. It's cheaper that way. It's better then bricking my phone and having to buy another one.

Sounds like a plan when you get all fixed up come back and we will get you on some jellybean goodness

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

That's a good idea. Now, you said you bought it pre rooted? You may run into warranty issues because unlocking/root will/may void your warranty. How to reverse that without a working port, I have no idea. In theory you can just delete/uninstall the superuser.apk (the app that grants you root level access), but how you would relock it without a USB cable is beyond me. :(

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Hiyo... if you need to get the USB fixed do it through samsung, will give you the best chance of them not noticing or not caring that it's unlocked. Can't guarantee anything but I've heard of multiple instances of the same issue and it working out for people. Good luck!

EDIT: Ass dmmarck said definitely delete SU / unroot before sending it, you can at least do that :)

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a good idea. Now, you said you bought it pre rooted? You may run into warranty issues because unlocking/root will/may void your warranty. How to reverse that without a working port, I have no idea. In theory you can just delete/uninstall the superuser.apk (the app that grants you root level access), but how you would relock it without a USB cable is beyond me. :(
This might do it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.adbw

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll definitely give that app a shot. I'm going to look on Craig list to see if there's any phone techs that can possibly fix my USB port.

Thank you all for your input and advice!

I'll keep you guys updated. Just in case anyone in the future had the same issue.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely give that app a shot. I'm going to look on Craig list to see if there's any phone techs that can possibly fix my USB port.

I'll keep you guys updated. Just in case anyone in the future had the same issue.

If your good with tools these guys have instructions tear down videos and parts. I would never would attempt it but if you want to save some money and u think u can do it. These guys should have everything u need
http://www.ifixit.com/

Edit : hears the guide if you feel like trying it. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing-Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Micro-USB-Charge-Port/9641/1

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

No problem. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay