NEED HELP! Jelly Bean or No??

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, this will be really short and simple.

After looking at countless of threads, I have come to the conclusion it's not safe to flash Jelly Bean to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus just yet. Also;

-My device is locked.
-And of course it's not rooted

I have never flashed a rom before so it's a bit nerve recking to think of all the possible things that could happen to my GNex (Which is like my first born). - I'm 19 BTW no kids.

With that said, I also read we need to wait for the "Source" from Google because most of the ROMS are just ports. - I love VZW for LTE and superior service, I hate them because they make us wait for ever to get anything. So I guess my question is. - Really the following.

-Do I have to root to get Jelly bean or can I just unlock my device and install it.
-If i have to unlock and Root is it safe yet (meaning a ROM that is pure with no issues)
-When the official release from VZW comes out I hear that i can install it OTA??

Lastly. . .

-If I have to unlock and Root where can I find the best step by step instructions to do this.

Thanks and advance. This would not be an issue if VZW was on time but we all know how they are. We'll likely see Jelly Bean in August. :-( I wish flashing was as simple as installing an APK.

knowledge2786

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site

After looking at countless of threads, I have come to the conclusion it's not safe to flash Jelly Bean to my Verizon Galaxy Nexus just yet. Also;

-My device is locked.

I have never flashed a rom before so it's a bit nerve recking to think of all the possible things that could happen to my GNex (Which is like my first born). - I'm 19 BTW no kids.

With that said, I also read we need to wait for the "Source" from Google because most of the ROMS are just ports. - I love VZW for LTE and superior service, I hate them because they make us wait for ever to get anything. So I guess my question is. - Really the following.

-Do I have to root to get Jelly bean or can I just unlock my device and install it.
-If i have to unlock and Root is it safe yet (meaning a ROM that is pure with no issues)
-When the official release from VZW comes out I hear that i can install it OTA??

Lastly. . .

-If I have to unlock and Root where can I find the best step by step instructions to do this.

Thanks and advance. This would not be an issue if VZW was on time but we all know how they are. We'll likely see Jelly Bean in August. :-( I wish flashing was as simple as installing an APK.

knowledge2786

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I been rocking JB since it got ported to our phones and to me it works great. I haven't had a problem at all. Unlocking and rooting is extremely easy. Just go to the stickies and it will give you detailed instructions on how to do it. And trust me you will love jellybean.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site

-My device is locked.

Lastly. . .

If you don't want to wait for Verizon, you will have to Unlock and Root to load another rom. Remember, unlocking your GNEX will wipe your phone, so backup!

I unlocked and rooted about 2 months ago and am sooooooooo happy I did. I used Wug's Toolkit, easy as pie, you can find it at: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...nexus-root-toolkit-v1-4-updated-6-5-12-a.html

Then look at:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...backup-restore-install-roms-galaxy-nexus.html To learn how to do the things you need to do.

Even though I am able to now install JB rom's, I have decided to stay with ICS (CM9) until Google drops the final code for JB and CM and AOKP release their build of JB.

I say do it, flash ICS roms for stability and learning...by that time you'll be ready to load JB when it is released.

CM and AOKP and two big rom'rs, but there are other very good ones to, look in: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/

Good luck and enjoy!

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with waiting. But this phone is relatively easy to root. Especially with wugs root tool kit. I've been on jelly belly since 1.4 or something like that. I am very impressed and happy with it. Nothing to be afraid of

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus via Jelly Bean uh I mean Tapatalk

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You guys say enjoy like this would be fun. Funny how Google released the source code today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Liquid V3 with a stock kernel and other than a problem that arose from what I believe was not doing all my wipes the first time JB is running extremely stable for me so far.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

-My device is locked.

Lastly. . .

You can wait, but rooting and unlocking and flashing custom ROMS or even just basic compiled stock JB from what Google released today is faster and perfectly safe. Lots of us here have tried flashing JB already and love it (I did but went back to AOKP as I cannot part with my unicorn friend). The first really good custom ROMS for JB should be out (from the larger development teams) in about a week or so. I was scared the first time rooting and unlocking and flashing, but just do like I did. Ask a question here if you get stuck, use the stickies, read on Google, use YouTube, and do not be afraid to bounce stuff off the community. I think we have an awesome community here on AC so feel free if you are comfortable to partake in one of the bigger and more exciting facets of being a Nexus owner!

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You guys say enjoy like this would be fun. Funny how Google released the source code today.

I am confused...what are you trying to say? How is it funny? This is usually how Android releases work. The open source code for the recently announced version of Android is put up on the AOSP site and besides OEMs using it to update their stock, pre-loaded versions of Android on their phones, the modding community uses the source code to make custom ROMs for unlocked phones. The whole custom ROM thing is a huge part of the Android experience for a lot of us big fans out there and really is a huge bullet point for Nexus phones.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

It is fun. Flashing different things to this phone is what makes it a Nexus. It's not fun like going to a baseball game, but it IS fun. Otherwise we would be like iphone users and waiting on the deathstar to release updates when they feel like we would need them.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe wait?? If it does what you want it to do then fine, enjoy it.

One other thing to consider is Adobe flash. JB is not supported with it.
Looks like HTML5 so far.

I personally have the ATT Galaxy Note and run custom ROMs on it.
I don't care much for the "bloatware" carriers add. Some are good
most are not.

Got the GSM Nexus for my son, and having an unlocked phone is almost
like rooting to me. With it's pure ICS OS it works great for him.