Buying Used... Already Rooted... Go back to stock for safety?

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a used Verizon GNex this week. The seller has informed me that the phone is already rooted and running a JB rom. I always planned on rooting the phone when I got it.

However, for security reasons should I just go back to stock so I know there are no vulnerability issues? Is this something I should even worry about? If I should go back to stock and start fresh how do I do that? Do I just use the factory images that are posted in the sticky?

Thanks in advance.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your intent. If you plan to flash roms, keep your root, do a full wipe/factory reset first then flash the rom of your choice or leave it on JB.

When you say security, what security are you referring to? Data or possibly bricking the phone?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Since you plan on rooting just leave it rooted. I'm sure the seller wiped data (or he is plain dumb) so all the previous user stuff is gone.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your intent. If you plan to flash roms, keep your root, do a full wipe/factory reset first then flash the rom of your choice or leave it on JB.

When you say security, what security are you referring to? Data or possibly bricking the phone?

I do plan on flashing roms at some point so it makes sense to keep the root then.

In regards to security I was thinking of any malware type apps that could have possibly been installed or anything along those lines. If I just do a factory reset when I get the phone that should remove any of those issues, correct?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes a factory reset after you get it is recommended.

Personally I'd request the guy take it back to stock as well as you should want to test things before paying for it, and the experimental JB ROMs might cloud possible issues, which these phones are prone to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I do plan on flashing roms at some point so it makes sense to keep the root then.

In regards to security I was thinking of any malware type apps that could have possibly been installed or anything along those lines. If I just do a factory reset when I get the phone that should remove any of those issues, correct?

when you get the phone, you can put a rom and gapps on your sd card, boot into recovery mode, clear data, format system, clear cache partition and dalvik cache, and then flash the new rom.

basically that's a clean slate, except for the sd card.

if you want to be thorough and take it all the way back, flash back to stock (factory image), relock the bootloader, unlock it, root/rom etc.

that's a 100 percent clean slate.

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a used Verizon GNex this week. The seller has informed me that the phone is already rooted and running a JB rom. I always planned on rooting the phone when I got it.

However, for security reasons should I just go back to stock so I know there are no vulnerability issues? Is this something I should even worry about? If I should go back to stock and start fresh how do I do that? Do I just use the factory images that are posted in the sticky?

Thanks in advance.

Just curious...Did the seller say WHY he was selling his GNex?

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
if you want to be thorough and take it all the way back, flash back to stock (factory image), relock the bootloader, unlock it, root/rom etc.

that's a 100 percent clean slate.

Personally, I'd go for this route just for the experience and the knowledge. I would also recommend taking the time to so it using ADB, not one of these swiss army knife, all-in-one utilities. It doesn't take too long and there are plenty of guides to walk you through it.

Reactions: 2defmouze

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'd go for this route just for the experience and the knowledge. I would also recommend taking the time to so it using ADB, not one of these swiss army knife, all-in-one utilities. It doesn't take too long and there are plenty of guides to walk you through it.

I second that. I used ADB when rooting my OGDroid, and now I am not afraid of ever bricking a phone because I understand the process much better. Once you get your feet wet, Wug's is a great tool. I have it to make things easier when I need it.

Reactions: 2defmouze

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

I do think I'll do that. I have rooted my DInc and DInc2 but never used ADB. I figure I might as well try it out with the GNex because it's almost impossible to brick (so I've read) and would give me good experience.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just hoping I can get the sale done and no one else emails the guy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech