CWM vs. TWRP

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Us old bangers use CWM. More power to the kids and their twrp. whatever. Pumped up kicks. outrun my recovery. CMW is for old pros that have been here for years, the twrp is more for the new kids that haven't been around on android for very long.

Were you flashing ROMs in the Amon Ra days too? Remember how Ra Recovery used to be the "it" recovery?

Oh the good old days.

cytherian

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really care for the pure CUI of CWM. TWRP is not only a GUI with touch selection, it is more robust. I like how you can optionally compress your backups. Uncompressed resulted in files about the same size as a nandroid backup but took less time to make.

Question... I know you need to be on Android 2.2 or higher to install TWRP. But once installed, can you flash to any Android ROM no matter the version, and it will still work? I hope so. I'd like to be able to flash back to a stock ROM to update the PRL from time to time, then quickly get back to my current ROM of choice. If TWRP can't handle that, it would mean having to install ROM Manager, keep separate backups, then flash TWRP again when done. What a pain!

jjjbrim

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I need some help, I hope this is the correct place to post this request. If not, please let me know the best location. I am a total newb. I have rooted my Nexus 7 and have successfully installed the custom recovery TWRP and can boot into it. I am attempting to backup my device before diving into trying ROMs however when I hit "backup" in TWRP it states that there is insufficient space on my device. So my question is how do I either direct TWRP to backup to my PC as opposed to the internal storage card or not backup all of my music and crap that Google Play is already storing (I imagine that is "data" in the backup devices. I know just enough to be dangerous and do not want to shoot myself in the foot right out of the gate as I learn what I am doing. Thanks for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I need some help, I hope this is the correct place to post this request. If not, please let me know the best location. I am a total newb. I have rooted my Nexus 7 and have successfully installed the custom recovery TWRP and can boot into it. I am attempting to backup my device before diving into trying ROMs however when I hit "backup" in TWRP it states that there is insufficient space on my device. So my question is how do I either direct TWRP to backup to my PC as opposed to the internal storage card or not backup all of my music and crap that Google Play is already storing (I imagine that is "data" in the backup devices. I know just enough to be dangerous and do not want to shoot myself in the foot right out of the gate as I learn what I am doing. Thanks for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

It can only backup to the sdcard, not to your computer, so you'll have to free up space on it. However it only backs up your system, kernel, and cache by default, not the sdcard (music, pics, etc) so they are not the issue when it comes to size of the backup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jjjbrim

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for a quick reply. So if I look at the backup device options it shows System (435mb), Data (13746 mb), and Boot (8mb). Recovery and Cache are not checked. I have a 32gb Nexus 7 so there is a fair amount of space on the device and that is why I thought the music that I pinned to the device is what is hogging all of this space.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Us old bangers use CWM. More power to the kids and their twrp. whatever. Pumped up kicks. outrun my recovery. CMW is for old pros that have been here for years, the twrp is more for the new kids that haven't been around on android for very long.

Every time I see twrp all I see is twerp. LOL

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to uninstall rom manager to install twrp?

You should uninstall it because it's useless, buggy software. Just flash the recovery you want and use and do any flashing or backups from within recovery :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You should uninstall it because it's useless, buggy software. Just flash the recovery you want and use and do any flashing or backups from within recovery :)

I second this on the custom recovery of choice. Doing things manually gives you much more control over what ROM Manager offers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jms67

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from cwm to twrp and really only have 1 question. I noticed twrp backups are significantly bigger than cwm 2gb vs 20mb. I did use compression and the default options system 396mb, data 2269mb and boot 8mb. Obviously the data is the culprit but what data is being stored? I have about 15gb of space so I'm not worried but I just want to be clear in what the difference is.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from cwm to twrp and really only have 1 question. I noticed twrp backups are significantly bigger than cwm 2gb vs 20mb. I did use compression and the default options system 396mb, data 2269mb and boot 8mb. Obviously the data is the culprit but what data is being stored? I have about 15gb of space so I'm not worried but I just want to be clear in what the difference is.

The backups are about equal, but CWM stores more permanent backup data in the blobs directory of the cwm folder, allowing incremental backups to be quicker by just backing up things that have changed since the last backup. So yes if you store multiple backups on your device, this will take up much more space using TWRP than CWM.. But that's about it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^That said, I can't ever see a reason for having more than one nany backup. It's only there in case you have trouble flashing a new rom, kernel, etc. So once you find a combo you really like make a backup, new version etc etc, you like it, back it up, reboot and then delete your old backup. So on and so forth. Lastly it took 4.2 to get me on TWRP (updated before CWM...snooze you lose) and I haven't thought about going back to CWM for a second. TWRP is flat out a better recovery. Also, I use Rom Manager only to reboot into recovery (to potentially save my buttons) so I still have an empty clockworkmod folder. It's fine. Point is you don't have to delete it to use TWRP.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^That said, I can't ever see a reason for having more than one nany backup. It's only there in case you have trouble flashing a new rom, kernel, etc. So once you find a combo you really like make a backup, new version etc etc, you like it, back it up, reboot and then delete your old backup. So on and so forth. Lastly it took 4.2 to get me on TWRP (updated before CWM...snooze you lose) and I haven't thought about going back to CWM for a second. TWRP is flat out a better recovery. Also, I use Rom Manager only to reboot into recovery (to potentially save my buttons) so I still have an empty clockworkmod folder. It's fine. Point is you don't have to delete it to use TWRP.

Who makes backups anyway? Lol :)

jms67

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
The backups are about equal, but CWM stores more permanent backup data in the blobs directory of the cwm folder, allowing incremental backups to be quicker by just backing up things that have changed since the last backup. So yes if you store multiple backups on your device, this will take up much more space using TWRP than CWM.. But that's about it.

Makes sense since my blobs folder is about 3.5gb. I just didn't want to delete ROM manager and the folders in case there was something I was going to wish I had later.

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I currently use CWM and always have but only because I did not know about TWRP.

I would like to give TWRP a try but am I correct in thinking that the only way I can install TWRP recovery is to wipe and lose all my data like when installing a totally different ROM?

Thanks

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently use CWM and always have but only because I did not know about TWRP.

I would like to give TWRP a try but am I correct in thinking that the only way I can install TWRP recovery is to wipe and lose all my data like when installing a totally different ROM?

Thanks

You don't have to wipe anything when flashing a different recovery. The fastest way is to fastboot flash the recovery .IMG, but you can also use the goo manager app if you're not down with fastboot.

Flashing the new recovery simply overwrites the previous one.

Totally recommend TWRP btw. It's my recovery of choice on all my devices.

Jesse Elkin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Been using CWM touch since I started modifying my Note 2. Has worked flawlessly for me minus one issue. Can't read the external sdcard. Just for the heck of it I flashed TWRP and honestly the interface needs some work IMO but the kicker was that it can backup to my sdcard! Huge plus! Even though CWM shows you can it can never read my card. It looks like TWRPs standard backup is larger than CWM though with compression turned off. (backing up same ROM in both) I actually like ROM Manager for CWM. It worked exactly how I needed it to. Gonna stick with TWRP for a week or two and see how it compares longer than just a day.

thusband

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I've been holding off on TWRP and relying on CWM. I never had to resort to using a CWM backup so I don't really know how well it performs. However when I saw that blobs took up most of my sdcard space I said enough and flashed TWRP through GooManager. Should have done it ages ago because it's slick.

Two questions:
Where are backups kept? I looked around but can't seem to locate it on my Nexus 7. I thought it was in /data/something.
A new backup overwrites the previous one as Oxymoron says above right?

Thanks, this is a great thread.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been holding off on TWRP and relying on CWM. I never had to resort to using a CWM backup so I don't really know how well it performs. However when I saw that blobs took up most of my sdcard space I said enough and flashed TWRP through GooManager. Should have done it ages ago because it's slick.

Two questions:
Where are backups kept? I looked around but can't seem to locate it on my Nexus 7. I thought it was in /data/something.
A new backup overwrites the previous one as Oxymoron says above right?

Thanks, this is a great thread.
1. TWRP backups are stored in /storage/emulated/0/TWRP/BACKUPS
2. TWRP backups do NOT write over existing backups. Each one gets its own folder. And, they can be big. About 2gb or larger. I only keep 2 around at a time.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I finally flashed twerp. I wiped with it to flash Adams 4.2.2 is it expected to be much faster than CWM? It was so fast at wiping I couldn't help feeling nervous that it didn't work right. :confused: