CWM vs. TWRP

msaly

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to TWRP to give it a shot. I was using CWM Touch. I like some of the extra features in TWRP, but I really want to use which ever tends to be more reliable. Since the 6.0.0.* updates I have read about issues (I had a failed nandroid myself before the latest update). As of the mose recent releases, is there a good reason to go with one over the others, or is it just a matter of preference? Thanks!

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was reluctant for a while because of incompatibility with all of my old cwm backups... but I deleted those by mistake one night, so I've been on twrp since, lol

It's very awesome. Don't think I'll be using cwm any time soon.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Twerp alla way. If you knew how much I liked cwm you would be shocked to hear me say that.

The lastest cwm releases have bugs particularly with nandroid restores. Bootlooped twice with restores.

Reactions: Johnly

msaly

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
By the way, with the TWRP backups, there are a lot of options. The default selects system, data, and boot. Should any other options be selected? Should any be not selected when doing a typical restore?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well if you backed them up you would prolly want them restored, right? I've never used TWRP so I don't know what options you are talking about, but I don't see how restoring something would have a negative impact.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
By the way, with the TWRP backups, there are a lot of options. The default selects system, data, and boot. Should any other options be selected? Should any be not selected when doing a typical restore?

Nah just leave it as is. System, data and boot are good. I also have it skip md5 generation during backups because it makes it quicker and I don't see the need for it. :)

Reactions: pmcd1962 and msaly

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

You can backup everything when making your nandroid, the important part is to make sure you wipe EVERYTHING BEFORE you RESTORE a backup.

Reactions: msaly

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Been using CWM for a long time now. Yesterday I decided to try TWRP. Loaded it, made a backup, flashed a new rom last night including wiping everything. Found TWRP easier and like the way it looks and handles. I'll be staying with TWRP now.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just installed the new CWM 6. It now supports incremental backups so backups are smaller and faster since only the files that change get backed up.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So for TWRP, which ones do we wipe in order to do a clean install for a new ROM: cache, delvik cache, factory reset, system, internal storage, and/or format data?

Wipe everything but the internal storage?

msaly

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So for TWRP, which ones do we wipe in order to do a clean install for a new ROM: cache, delvik cache, factory reset, system, internal storage, and/or format data?

Wipe everything but the internal storage?

As dmmarck says, do a clockwise wipe: factory reset, cache, davlik cache, system. Just those. For a dirty flash just omit the factory reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463