Ok, now I get it... (CM10 that is.)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
First, let me say that I love Jelly Bean. It's fantastic. My first ROM was Droid Vicious v1. It was OK. But it was generic.

To tell you the truth I'm not particularly fond of the generic Android OS. Yes Google makes solid products but their forte' is not UI, it's OS. So, I've always been happier with skins that give me more convenience and controls at my fingertips. The Samsung TouchWiz on my Galaxy Tab is much better than the generic Android version from Google.

So, today I installed CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus. Wow! What a difference. There are lots of nice touches put in the CM10 version of Jelly Bean. It's almost as if they read my mind and knew what I wanted added and threw it in. This is my first experience with CM so you old timers please excuse me for expressing what you knew all along.

I get it. I now know the benefits of installing a custom ROM. It's been worth the effort.

These guys CM get it and I'm pleased to be aboard.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lol nice man.. Keep in mind what you installed is a nightly as well, so there may be some bugs and, more importantly, there will be updates nearly nightly to squash bugs and add new features. This is just the beginning :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sofa King Fresh

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Lol nice man.. Keep in mind what you installed is a nightly as well, so there may be some bugs and, more importantly, there will be updates nearly nightly to squash bugs and add new features. This is just the beginning :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Noob question here :p (new to the andriod family) when you say its a nightly build, and that updates are almost every night.

Does that mean you have to install it daily to get the most frequent build?

Thanks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Noob question here :p (new to the andriod family) when you say its a nightly build, and that updates are almost every night.

Thanks

Pretty much yes.. If you are comfortable or not in the mood obviously you can wait until you have the free time, you don't HAVE to do it every day, lol.

Also with nightlies you can usually "dirty flash" from one to a later one, meaning you don't lose your apps, settings, and data. For that you just wipe cache and dalvik, and system, skipping the wipe data/factory reset you do for a new ROM.
However if you run into issues after a while you'll probably need a full wipe :)

EDIT: Wanted to throw in a reminder that you have to flash both the ROM and the gapps regardless of whether you're doing a clean install or a dirty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Sofa King Fresh

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Yep, but you don't typically have to do a data wipe between each flash. Just dirty flash by wiping cache, Dalvik, and formatting system. So it really only takes a few minutes to update every day and you don't have to set up everything again.

Reactions: Sofa King Fresh

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much yes.. If you are comfortable or not in the mood obviously you can wait until you have the free time, you don't HAVE to do it every day, lol.

Also with nightlies you can usually "dirty flash" from one to a later one, meaning you don't lose your apps, settings, and data. For that you just wipe cache and dalvik, and system, skipping the wipe data/factory reset you do for a new ROM.
However if you run into issues after a while you'll probably need a full wipe :)

EDIT: Wanted to throw in a reminder that you have to flash both the ROM and the gapps regardless of whether you're doing a clean install or a dirty.

Ok, help me out here. I didn't go to a web site to get the download. I went into ROM Manager > Download ROM > DroidVicious and there was CM10 (UNOFFICIAL). I downloaded and installed it.

It doesn't look like that'll be upgraded daily since it's unofficial.

Is there a way in ROM Manager to get CM10 nightlies? I haven't found it there. I haven't learned how to do it from a PC yet so I'd prefer RM if possible. It's just so easy there.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, help me out here. I didn't go to a web site to get the download. I went into ROM Manager > Download ROM > DroidVicious and there was CM10 (UNOFFICIAL). I downloaded and installed it.

It doesn't look like that'll be upgraded daily since it's unofficial.

Is there a way in ROM Manager to get CM10 nightlies? I haven't found it there. I haven't learned how to do it from a PC yet so I'd prefer RM if possible. It's just so easy there.

We aren't really encouragers of using RM here, rather you download the ROM straight to your phone from tapatalk or a browser, or to your computer then move it to the phone. Then boot into recovery and do the wipes and flashing from there. Might sound like much but trust me it's the right way to do it :)

As for that ROM I don't believe that's one that will be releasing nightly updates. The two that are would be winner00's and Euroskank. Links to their threads/download pages can be found out in this section, in dmmarcks Jellybean Now thread, or directly at rootzwiki.

EDIT: to be clear, AFAIK those guys don't host their ROMs via ROM Manager anyways, so you'd probably have to get used to downloading it another way regardless.

Reactions: zero neck

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
We aren't really encouragers of using RM here, rather you download the ROM straight to your phone from tapatalk or a browser, or to your computer then move it to the phone. Then boot into recovery and do the wipes and flashing from there. Might sound like much but trust me it's the right way to do it :)

As for that ROM I don't believe that's one that will be releasing nightly updates. The two that are would be winner00's and Euroskank. Links to their threads/download pages can be found out in this section, in dmmarcks Jellybean Now thread, or directly at rootzwiki.

EDIT: to be clear, AFAIK those guys don't host their ROMs via ROM Manager anyways, so you'd probably have to get used to downloading it another way regardless.

This ^^^

Once you get used to manually flashing things, you'll feel so much better, and most importantly, more comfortable trying out new ROMS. You'll wake up every so often, reboot into recovery, and wipe cache/dalvik just 'cause you feel like it.

You might even make a nandroid because you're feeling a bit zany. I dunno. Sometimes, it all just takes over.

Reactions: 2defmouze

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

OK, I'm still learning proper protocol. I'm not against using the manual method if it's fool proof. Where do I place the ROM file once downloaded? Also, the DroidVicious version of CM10 automatically installed gapps for me. Where do I get them a how do I install them using the manual method?

BTW, I notice Euroskank and all the nightlies on RM. Why is RM a bad choice?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm still learning proper protocol. I'm not against using the manual method if it's fool proof. Where do I place the ROM file once downloaded? Also, the DroidVicious version of CM10 automatically installed gapps for me. Where do I get them a how do I install them using the manual method?

BTW, I notice Euroskank and all the nightlies on RM. Why is RM a bad choice?

It's all good :) in terms of fool proof, it is. Rom Manager isn't, lol.

When you download just put the ROMs on the root of your sdcard (meaning not in any folder). Truthfully you can put them in a folder if you want but it's easier not to.

Gapps can be grabbed from goo.im. Hopefully someone can elaborate and link you as I'm at work right now...

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
RM tries to control recovery, but going INTO recovery is the safest way so you can monitor every step of the flash process.

As for placement, I usually create a folder in ES File Explorer under ROMS, and then a sub folder for each ROM team (I have one for AOKP, Jelly Belly, LiquidSmooth, etc). Or, you could leave it in your downloads folder, too. The gapps are also downloaded separately for some ROMS, like AOKP, and I save them in the same folder with the respective ROM. When manually flashing a new rom, you'll go into recovery (turning phone off and then holding down power and vol up and down):

EDIT: Make a Nandroid! Aka, make a backup. It's self-explanatory and is right on the main menu of CWM. It backs up your current ROM in case you get into trouble flashing a new one.

Wipe Data
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik (Under advanced in CWM)
Format System (under mounts and storage in CWM)
Install ROM (choose from sd card and then find your file)
Install Gapps
Hit "Go back"
Reboot phone
CWM now has this annoying Yes/No thing after you hit reboot system (can't remember the wording of what it asks...hm). Nevertheless, you'll want to hit Yes.

I wait for a reboot to add any themes, new kernels, etc.

Last edited:

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Where can I get this?

Or

[ROM] CM10 Preview Build (posted by CyanogenMod on G+) - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki
488166fe-5bb2-39ff.jpg

Its the OFFICIAL/UNOFFICIAL CM10 ROM from Cyanogenmod themselves! I been running it the first hour it was posted last night and so far its 100% no problems!!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
So, today I installed CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus. Wow! What a difference. There are lots of nice touches put in the CM10 version of Jelly Bean. It's almost as if they read my mind and knew what I wanted added and threw it in. This is my first experience with CM so you old timers please excuse me for expressing what you knew all along.

I get it. I now know the benefits of installing a custom ROM. It's been worth the effort.

These guys CM get it and I'm pleased to be aboard.

So now you'll have to try AOKP and all sorts of other ROMs in order to experience what other people are cooking up for our phones.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There are some people who swear by ROM Manager. Not too many though. Even the people who do at least know how to manually flash just in case RM messes up the process (which apparenlty can happen). I'll borrow a quote from one of the gurus, it's fine to drive an automatic car but you better know how to drive manual in case of an emergency. That all said, using CWM (clockworkmod) to manually flash is super easy too. I do use RM but only to boot into recovery. Don't want to wear out my buttons...

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I experimented with manual. Unfortunately, it didn't work out well.

I took the latest CM10 and installed it from recovery. That seemed to work fine. Completely different load animation than the one I did earlier. A 8-bit video game that i loathe.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the gapps to install properly. I used recovery, found the gapps zip file and used install. Looked like everything worked, no errors. But on reboot none of the google apps were there. I did this twice. I ran out of time and patience and just did a restore of my previous setting (thank you backup!).

I guess I need to do more reading and experimenting before I get the real hang of this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood