Galaxy Nexus keeps crashing

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Soooo....this is strange.

I had Bugless Beast ROM installed for a while, ran fine, then all of the sudden the phone started to have random crashes and reboots. Thought maybe its an app I installed, so...did a wipe cache, wiped the phone, and reinstalled. Problem was still there. So I did the process again, but installed a VadirAOSP ROM, still the same problem. Went back to Factory, STILL the same problem.

But I was able to narrow it down. It seems the problem occurs when the phone makes a noise. Whether its a ringtone, me hitting the volume up/down button, etc...it automatically freezes and reboots until the next "noise" is made.

Any suggestions, tips?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you're flashing a different kernel than what's included in the ROM, I'd say that sounds like a crappy kernel issue.

If not, might just want to do a factory image restore to clean it out completely and start from scratch. Check the Factory Images guide for info.. Tho I believe Wug's toolkit will do it for you as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought Kernel issue at first too, but I installed nothing new with BB except the ROM, Bootloader and newest Baseband.

I'm running Wug's Toolkit now. I'm doing the back to stock + unroot, turn on the phone and see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll just re-do the whole process with the newest BB that was just pushed out.

It was just really, REALLY strange how it happened. Didn't install any new app or anything, one day just boom...I thought "not a problem" and it just kept getting worse and worse. Now it just gets stuck on the boot animation and wont' go past.

Of course...just as I thought "everything is how I want it to be!"

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought Kernel issue at first too, but I installed nothing new with BB except the ROM, Bootloader and newest Baseband.

I'm running Wug's Toolkit now. I'm doing the back to stock + unroot, turn on the phone and see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll just re-do the whole process with the newest BB that was just pushed out.

It was just really, REALLY strange how it happened. Didn't install any new app or anything, one day just boom...I thought "not a problem" and it just kept getting worse and worse. Now it just gets stuck on the boot animation and wont' go past.

Of course...just as I thought "everything is how I want it to be!"

Lol yeah, in rare cases things just get weird/corrupted but a factory image restore clears it up. When done I recommend locking and unlocking the bootloader again to give it that final full wipe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Did a complete wipe, locked/unlocked, etc...back to stock. Then re-rooted and installed a different ROM.

Worked fine for 2 days....BOOM. Back to the same exact stuff it did before. Freezing and crashing, and random reboots. AGAIN, i was able to narrow down the problem. This time its not sound, its the WIFI...whenever I hit "enable" and it tries to connect to any wifi, it freezes and crashes. If I keep it off, no problem.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Did a complete wipe, locked/unlocked, etc...back to stock. Then re-rooted and installed a different ROM.

Worked fine for 2 days....BOOM. Back to the same exact stuff it did before. Freezing and crashing, and random reboots. AGAIN, i was able to narrow down the problem. This time its not sound, its the WIFI...whenever I hit "enable" and it tries to connect to any wifi, it freezes and crashes. If I keep it off, no problem.

This is a issue in many of the ROMs out there right now... I suggest you do the following:

Clean wipe cache , delvik cache, system, data
Flash Jelly Belly 3.9.1 Goo.im Downloads - Browsing jellybelly
GAPPS Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip

He has fixed this issue in his ROM give it a go. LOVE THIS ROM btw

Reactions: zero neck

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Here's the problem...that's what I'm running. I temporarily fixed it by wiping caches and just re-installing the ROM again. Seems to be buttery smooth now...its just in a day, it'll go back to where it was before.

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

Bugless Beast is what I was using when all the issues started with the Volume bug. It was the 7-24 build. Did a complete uninstall, re-locked etc. etc. and reinstalled BB. Problem came back almost immediately. So figured it must have been that build.

Did the process again, and installed Jelly Belly. Worked ok for a day, then the wifi bug started. Reinstalled it now and it seems to be good for the time being.

I'm thinking it might be something corrupted with a backup file...although all that I ever restore that I backed up is through Wug's toolkit. Also my Nova settings. I'm thinking that MAYBE something is corrupted on the backup. I would just HATE having to start from scratch all over again. Everything is just how I like it!

But, if the problem comes back I'm just going to install Euroskank and not restore any backups. Sighhh.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the Belly started off really strong and has sorta devolved into a bug-laden thing.

For roms, I recommend three--

Pure stock? Bugless Beast.

Features + 100% bulletproof? CM10 Euroskank.

Features + maybe a hiccup? AOKP JB Preview.

I'm on the last one.

Stated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

Bugless Beast is what I was using when all the issues started with the Volume bug. It was the 7-24 build. Did a complete uninstall, re-locked etc. etc. and reinstalled BB. Problem came back almost immediately. So figured it must have been that build.

Did the process again, and installed Jelly Belly. Worked ok for a day, then the wifi bug started. Reinstalled it now and it seems to be good for the time being.

I'm thinking it might be something corrupted with a backup file...although all that I ever restore that I backed up is through Wug's toolkit. Also my Nova settings. I'm thinking that MAYBE something is corrupted on the backup. I would just HATE having to start from scratch all over again. Everything is just how I like it!

But, if the problem comes back I'm just going to install Euroskank and not restore any backups. Sighhh.

Honestly, it may be worth while to start from a 100% clean slate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Android666

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
This same thing started happening to my Nexus on tuesday. I thought that maybe it overheated from where it was sitting in my work vehicle. So I pulled the batt and waited til it cooled down. Restarted a few hours later and it was fine for a few hours then it just hang up on volume key presses or app clicks and freeze and reboot. Yesterday it was just in a boot loop where as soon as I unlocked the screen it would freeze and reboot. I just relocked my loader and will be taking it back to BB for a replacement since I have the warranty. I hope replacement doesnt have the Bluetooth issues this one did. :confused:

mnagy48

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I hate the exact same. Exactly. What ROM were you running? Stock? What was the most recent app you installed?

On the other note, I installed CM10/Euroskank and Trinity Kernel and everything is 100% awesome now. Not a single hiccup or a crash yet. And I put it through some ridiculous challenges.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta