[ROM][4.1.1][AOSP] Codename Android 3.0.0 [JB][07/31/2012]

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This Rom is no longer at Rootzwiki. In fact, at this point, it does not exist on any forum. I believe he is still releasing the Rom on Google+ and there's rumor that he may go to DroidHive, but I haven't seen him there yet. I'm not sure how long Codename, aka BlackDroid, will be around. We'll see...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I saw. Oh well. I'm a bit surprised RW change his screen name (back), but alas, he committed the ultimate sin and he did it to the one group of devs that you don't want to do it to.

Sucks for him, obviously, that he can't really get past that, but I certainly understand why.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad because he has the skills to put out a good ROM, but it is what it is.

Well now having more experience doing just that, I think there's definitely some ability there to package a rom. But tweaking, coding, etc.? Inconclusive :).

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It is a shame as 3.1 runs like butter. He is giving credit where due this time, but I guess too little, too late for the Android community he pissed off as he is an Internet refugee now. Once AOKP is at its first stable build, back to it I shall go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Just Google "Blackdroid" and "Cyanogenmod" together. You'll see :).

Read it. Understand now. I see it from fresh, objective eyes and may view the tussle differently.

My only comment: Credit is overrated. It's for the self absorbed. It's for the movie industry where they give credit to grips for goodness sake. I'm not saying what Blackdroid did was correct, it wasn't. But making a stink on a public forum first, without privately contacting them, brings that person down to Blackdroid's level.

Hey, JMO, nothing to get hung about. (Credit to John Lennon)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Read it. Understand now. I see it from fresh, objective eyes and may view the tussle differently.

My only comment: Credit is overrated. It's for the self absorbed. It's for the movie industry where they give credit to grips for goodness sake. I'm not saying what Blackdroid did was correct, it wasn't. But making a stink on a public forum first, without privately contacting them, brings that person down to Blackdroid's level.

I hear ya. When I first heard about it I was more taken aback with how much coverup there was, particularly from that forum. That's beyond me. Listen, if he takes he takes. If he steals he steals. It happens. But to cover it up and act like they did before finally making it right?

There's nothing virtuous about that, IMHO, so I'll gladly support devs and places that handle things differently, and in my eyes, a bit more virtuously :).

Reactions: SOTK

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

If you spent hundreds of hours building and perfecting a ROM, made the source public so anyone could use it, then saw someone publish it as their own without even a mention of your name, you would probably not think that credit is overrated. :)

Reactions: SOTK

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you spent hundreds of hours building and perfecting a ROM, made the source public so anyone could use it, then saw someone publish it as their own without even a mention of your name, you would probably not think that credit is overrated. :)

This.

Thanks, I caught that a day afterwards.. (and the dork award goes too....me)??? Lol.

Beamed from my GneX via TaPaTalK. ;)

No problem, happens to the best of us :). Where do you think he got it from?

Also, AOKP has lockscreen weather now. Looks a bit different in setup. I appreciate the little colored icons/pictures.

Reactions: JkdJedi

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I saw. Oh well. I'm a bit surprised RW change his screen name (back), but alas, he committed the ultimate sin and he did it to the one group of devs that you don't want to do it to.

Sucks for him, obviously, that he can't really get past that, but I certainly understand why.

Yep. He had a fresh start going...kinda. I'm all for new beginnings, but if you're gonna reinvent yourself and start fresh, you need to do just that. He would have been better off letting "BlackDroid" die and turning over a completely new leaf.

I've flashed a few of his Roms. In fact, I was trying out his latest when all of this happened. I usually don't install Roms made by Devs who don't put out their own code...kind of a principle thing for me, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I will say this for Codename...he has a knack for taking others' work and making it work better. I had no issues with the features of his Rom and the Rom itself was very stable. I found this interesting since the features were unstable on a lot of the Roms he kanged from! What I'm saying is that there is *some* skill there. Its too bad that he couldn't have found a way to *work* with other teams and devs but there is where the problem lies. His actions and behaviors have made that impossible. Too bad really.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

You'd be surprised at the things I've accomplished that I haven't received credit for. But credit isn't important to me.

I think it better we move on. This kind of discourse isn't what I intended when I asked about this guy.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep. He had a fresh start going...kinda. I'm all for new beginnings, but if you're gonna reinvent yourself and start fresh, you need to do just that. He would have been better off letting "BlackDroid" die and turning over a completely new leaf.

I've flashed a few of his Roms. In fact, I was trying out his latest when all of this happened. I usually don't install Roms made by Devs who don't put out their own code...kind of a principle thing for me, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I will say this for Codename...he has a knack for taking others' work and making it work better. I had no issues with the features of his Rom and the Rom itself was very stable. I found this interesting since the features were unstable on a lot of the Roms he kanged from! What I'm saying is that there is *some* skill there. Its too bad that he couldn't have found a way to *work* with other teams and devs but there is where the problem lies. His actions and behaviors have made that impossible. Too bad really.

+1

(He did show some skill) Don't know him personally but actions speak louder than words.

(All Cdename/blackdroid threads removed from Rootz).

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm a programmer. Most of us hardly ever write code from scratch. Good programmers are lazy. They take something that already works and spend their time making it better or simply making it suite their needs. If it's open, it's fair game. When we do actually write something useful from scratch, very few people in the world know about it.

Think of all of the nameless devs who built Linux or Android. You don't hear them crying about it. Look at Peppermint. It's based on Lubuntu which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Each distro is spun a little different and the devs do a lot of coding to make it all work and they freely share their code. No one is crying about it. I always say, "There's no crying in Open Source."

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
ohiomoto,

I was a computer science major at UCLA. It was part of the Engineering college. The engineering majors used to make fun of us by saying, "Programmers copy, engineers invent."

Now that I've been in business for many years I've come to realize that almost nobody invents and everybody copies. I wish I'd known that then, I wouldn't have taken the abuse from the engineering students.

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I was a big fan of UltimateDroid for the Droid 1 back in the day. I donated money to blackdroid frequently, then he just disappeared without saying a word. Put a bad taste in my mouth. That being said, blackdroid's ROMs have always given me the most features with the least amount of bugs. I constantly try out new ROMs, and none have run as flawlessly as blackdroids. Yes, he just takes code that other devs have created, but he seems to make it all run better than the people who created it. Will I ever donate money to him again? Not a chance, but as long as his ROMs make my phone run the best with the most features, I will use his stuff.

Reactions: VAVA Mk2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac