Your Missing Pictures, Songs, etc. is due to ROM Manager

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Can we get this made into a blog post front page AC. I've answered this 5 times tonight getting sick of doing it. If we make it a blog post I think more people will see it and we can stop getting the same question over and over

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

The purpose of this post was so that they would see the missing stuff in the title, see the cause, and click. If you find other posts--simply copy and paste this URL there (I saw you did in at least one already, so thanks!) and be done with it :). I'll try to take make my way over to others as well, but unfortunately, this doesn't affect just us--but anything that has ROM Manager.

I think I cleared the dalvik stuff and uninstalled ROM manager but could u explain what else to do because I'm having the same problems lol kinda new on THIS ISSUE :confused:

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

No worries! Use a file manager--like Root Explorer--and start hunting for ".nomedia" files on the root of your SDcard (the main SDcard folder). What that file does is, well, it hides the media! Generally placing a "." before anything will make it hidden, but obviously you don't want that with your media or you would have done it purposely. So go around, delete those files on the root of your SDcard, then start clearing the individual application's cache (and data)--particularly Media Storage, which acts as a "hub" for your media on your device.

Once that is done, reboot the device and you should have your stuff back. If you still see further affected apps, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a fresh, clean install of a rom.

I'm cross posting here because this seems to be an active thread

In some instances Media Scanner will DELETE ALL THE PICTURES ON THE SD CARD
Here is an example google bug report on the issue Issue 3692 - android - MediaScanner deletes jpg and gif files - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I have lost a year of pictures because of this. Before you assume I am making a mistake realize that the SDcard is now connected directly to my laptop and a search of the entire drive (including subfolders) with the string *.jpg gives no results. I can post a screenshot if you like.

Rom Manager caused my pictures actually be deleted and I am using recovery tools that scan the free space to get them back

If any of you suffered as I did try this OPEN SOURCE recovery tool specifically made for recovering pictures from an SDcard - PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Here is a screenshot of my current progress
Click to view quoted image

edit: I just realized it also broke some of my applications that stored images on the sdcard that served as part of their menu system. SCREW YOU ROM MANAGER DEVS. I will never trust anything you publish from this day forward

Honestly, you need to contact the devs so that they're aware of you and possibly others who have been affected in such a manner. I hope you get your files back and I appreciate your contributions here!

Happy Saturday fellas...

So.. you think this is something else we all have to do from now on... or

Will this be a bug fix.. still don't know exactly.. what is going on here..

Problem with the ROM manager only right..?

I'll probably restore backup.. or try to uninstall RM before.. flashing again... right?

This will sure discourage people from rooting and I'll probably be holding off a bit.. too.. but mainly.. I'm just really happy with my current setup..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

No, it's not a rom issue, unless you count it being installed automatically with CM10, but rather, it's a ROM Manager issue. There was an update issued that was supposed to fix it. If I were you, just go in there, delete what I said to delete, follow my steps, and then see what happens. If you're OK from that point don't worry about it. Hell, if you're OK now, don't worry about it. If nothing else works, try a clean flash of a ROM.

I hope it doesn't dissuade you or any one else. It's not flashing that's the cause here, just a very, very wonky update that set some things in motion.

Reactions: Droidintorrance

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have now tried it a second time and found out that you don't have to delete the .nomedia files just uninstall the ROM Manager user app (or updates) and clear media data and reboot. Media should return in less than a half an hour.

The only reason I bring this up everywhere is because I couldn't find the .nomedia files and still had the issue with my gallery. I believe that I did not look properly for them but for others who can't find them try my method. It's much less involved.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have now tried it a second time and found out that you don't have to delete the .nomedia files just uninstall the ROM Manager user app (or updates) and clear media data and reboot. Media should return in less than a half an hour.

The only reason I bring this up everywhere is because I couldn't find the .nomedia files and still had the issue with my gallery. I believe that I did not look properly for them but for others who can't find them try my method. It's much less involved.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I presume when you uninstall completely it'll take its associated files with it, which makes sense :). The ".nomedia" file removal may be better for those who want to keep ROM Manager but without that side effect.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I fixed mine last week after a couple of attempts, but my wife's phone is relentless. She can't get back her pictures for anything. I tried it a couple of times and she's tried at least 3 times. I suppose flashing a newer ROM won't help, will it? RM was uninstalled as well.
Any other suggestions or should this method always work eventually?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I fixed mine last week after a couple of attempts, but my wife's phone is relentless. She can't get back her pictures for anything. I tried it a couple of times and she's tried at least 3 times. I suppose flashing a newer ROM won't help, will it? RM was uninstalled as well.
Any other suggestions or should this method always work eventually?

Can she find the pictures via File Manager and such?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Pictures are still there.

Do all of the steps prescribed but add one--remove the photos and then put them back onto the SDcard after everything has been cleaned (data/cache I mean).

A clean flash of a new rom should also do it.

Reactions: Nakrohtap

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Do all of the steps prescribed but add one--remove the photos and then put them back onto the SDcard after everything has been cleaned (data/cache I mean).

A clean flash of a new rom should also do it.

So...do all of those steps again, move data and move data back or flash a new ROM?
I think I'll try the latter first. :D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So...do all of those steps again, move data and move data back or flash a new ROM?
I think I'll try the latter first. :D

Yup. Folks on Rootz have said that removing the photos and putting them back on the SDcard has worked to "trigger" Media Storage.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Folks on Rootz have said that removing the photos and putting them back on the SDcard has worked to "trigger" Media Storage.

Well, it would seem that flashing a new ROM first, then do the removing and replacing hokey pokey if that fails.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have lost a year of pictures because of this. Before you assume I am making a mistake realize that the SDcard is now connected directly to my laptop and a search of the entire drive (including subfolders) with the string *.jpg gives no results. I can post a screenshot if you like.

SCREW YOU ROM MANAGER DEVS. I will never trust anything you publish from this day forward

One word for you: BACKUP.

While what RM did was regretful, it should only have been an inconvenience. Blaming someone else for your loss of pictures is just silly.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
One word for you: BACKUP.

While what RM did was regretful, it should only have been an inconvenience. Blaming someone else for your loss of pictures is just silly.

Yup. Always backup your photos, may it be manually or automatically through G+, Dropbox, Drive, etc. etc.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Always backup your photos, may it be manually or automatically through G+, Dropbox, Drive, etc. etc.

I go the extra mile. Backup to a PC. PC backs up to external 2TB drive. I have duplicate external drives. I rotate them once per week. Both are never at my house at the same time. I have photos, documents and music. Haven't lost a byte of data in decades.

Living in earthquake country makes one cautious.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I go the extra mile. Backup to a PC. PC backs up to external 2TB drive. I have duplicate external drives. I rotate them once per week. Both are never at my house at the same time. I have photos, documents and music. Haven't lost a byte of data in decades.

Living in earthquake country makes one cautious.

While intense, that's very commendable. I haven't done a solid backup in some months, I need to get better with that.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It turns out the wife downloaded the latest nightly yesterday, installed and still no media. When I mentioned moving the media files to the pc and back, I got a "whatever". I tried.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled and delete ROM Manager from system/app. I found a .nomedia files in my sdcard0 under clockwordmod and deleted it. I cleared the caches of Gallery, Media Storage. I booted into recovery and wiped cache/dalvik. It still didn't work. I also cut the camera folder out of DCIM and put it outside the DCIM folder took a picture that created a new Camera folder inside DCIM and then I cut and pasted the pictures back into the new Camera folder and still no dice.

I didn't get this problem until I went from BB 8-7-12 to AOKP JB Build 1

Croots13

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
This problem happened to me. All the pics/music is still there so all I did was cut/paste the effected media to my computer and cut/paste it back. Showed up right away. No need for wiping, deleting, rebooting, all that is unnecessary.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled and delete ROM Manager from system/app. I found a .nomedia files in my sdcard0 under clockwordmod and deleted it. I cleared the caches of Gallery, Media Storage. I booted into recovery and wiped cache/dalvik. It still didn't work. I also cut the camera folder out of DCIM and put it outside the DCIM folder took a picture that created a new Camera folder inside DCIM and then I cut and pasted the pictures back into the new Camera folder and still no dice.

I didn't get this problem until I went from BB 8-7-12 to AOKP JB Build 1

U missed one important step CLEAR THE DATA AND CACHE OF MEDIA STORAGE AND GALLERY NOT JUST CACHE

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dmmarck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar