first time playing with this, confused, terrified

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but we'll see how long they continue making phones with locked bootloaders. Seems they're phasing that out. Good ridance! :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Android Central Forums

They will always come with locked bootloaders for security.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes but you are not the only one in the universe. I would feel a lot better if my doctor has a locked boot loader so when he loses his phone all the info on it gets wiped if it gets in nefarious hands. If that makes your life inconvenient then so be it.

Wow. Really? That's what a phone lock is for. The bootloader being locked doesn't stop someone from getting info off your phone. It just stops the consumer from being able to mess with their own phone unless they really know what they're doing. So when your doctor losses his phone, if he's a tard-bait and doesn't LOCK HIS PHONE, the locked bootloader does nothing to stop said set of nefarious hands from getting info. Its not a phone lock, its a software lock. So, unless you don't like messing around with you phone, the locked bootloader is just an obstacle. Like I said.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
They will always come with locked bootloaders for security.

This too. Keep in mind, the Nexus doesn't have an "unlocked" bootloader, but an unlockable bootloader--which requires 3 words to unlock.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What do u mean always? My phones bootloader wasn't locked. And I don't believe the Google nexus line is locked either

What is it and where did you get it from?

I'm also 75% sure the GSM/Play Store GNex comes locked. Well, I know the GSM phones were, at least prior to the Play Store selling them.

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
What is it and where did you get it from?

I'm also 75% sure the GSM/Play Store GNex comes locked. Well, I know the GSM phones were, at least prior to the Play Store selling them.

Well I looked up the specs on a Samsung mesmerize, my phone, and I'm pretty sure the site said something like
Locked bootloader: no

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What do u mean always? My phones bootloader wasn't locked.

I've heard of a fraction of a percent of phones that shipped unlocked, and be sure that was accidental. All phones will continue to ship with locked bootloaders, but some (i.e. Nexus devices) will always be easily unlockable.

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of a fraction of a percent of phones that shipped unlocked, and be sure that was accidental. All phones will continue to ship with locked bootloaders, but some (i.e. Nexus devices) will always be easily unlockable.

Oh. Well it just seems like certain companies, like Samsung, are kinda heading towards making things way easier for at home devs to play with. Haven't been around long enough to know all that much, but being around the things constantly for the past 3-4 years, it seems like they're getting easier and easier to hack.

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Mesmerize - RootzWiki

This?

That's the exception to the exception to the exception to the rule. :)

Yeah, I didn't know what was up. My gnex, has a locked one, well, had, and my messy, I've never even heard the word 'bootloader' in relation to the phone. That's y I'm wonderin what direction Samsung is gna go. Just unlock them all for us? Never worry about a locked bootloader again? :thumbup::thumbup:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't know what was up. My gnex, has a locked one, well, had, and my messy, I've never even heard the word 'bootloader' in relation to the phone. That's y I'm wonderin what direction Samsung is gna go. Just unlock them all for us? Never worry about a locked bootloader again? :thumbup::thumbup:

One can dream, right? :p

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
One can dream, right? :p

Well what kind of security does a locked bootloader provide to a regular Joe that just uses their phone for calls and text and internet? Someone who doesn't even know what the term root your phone means, well, they don't need their bootloader locked. Their not gna do anything to the phone to screw it up to the point where the locked bootloader is gna save them. And a person who hooks their phone up to the computer with the intent of digging around, well, they KNOW that they're voiding their warranty, and most likely see the locked bootloader as just a hassle anyways. So what purpose does it serve, really?

Proposition: No More Locked Bootloaders!

Say 'I'!

Bacon in my coffee, please? You don't have any bacon?! Unacceptable!!

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Foyt20: Thanks for your reply. I think your advice is good that I should not jump into this without understanding it better. These back and forth arguments about the implications of unlocking (security, etc.) show that some very smart people disagree what the implications are. So who am I to make a good decision about this if some experienced folks disagree?

I think the argument that "there is no reason not to root" is pretty well countered by this whole concept. Sure, if you understand how this all works and the implications, I guess rooting is a good idea. But if you learn and understand these things a bit more slowly like I do, you probably shouldn't root just yet.

Learning a little bit more each day though.

I tried posting something similar to this a few minutes ago, but it never showed up.

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Foyt20: Thanks for your reply. I think your advice is good that I should not jump into this without understanding it better. These back and forth arguments about the implications of unlocking (security, etc.) show that some very smart people disagree what the implications are. So who am I to make a good decision about this if some experienced folks disagree?

I think the argument that "there is no reason not to root" is pretty well countered by this whole concept. Sure, if you understand how this all works and the implications, I guess rooting is a good idea. But if you learn and understand these things a bit more slowly like I do, you probably shouldn't root just yet.

Learning a little bit more each day though.

I tried posting something similar to this a few minutes ago, but it never showed up.

Reading is key bud. I can't even count the amount of hours I've spent googling and reading. It gets almost sickening sometimes. Like, "great. Back to Google I go."

Its a fun learning experience through, so long as u like tech.
Have fun yo!

Bacon in my coffee, please? You don't have any bacon?! Unacceptable!!

Reactions: draftpeppin

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine says he's got some GUI option to do all of this, including a backup. I'm very skeptical now after seeing the consensus here seems to be that I can't backup what I've got. I guess I'll hear him out when he comes over but I'm not sure I'm going to let him touch my phone. lol.

Really all I want is Google Now. But I waited months to move from my crummy Droid X to the Nexus. I can probably wait a little longer for an official update so I don't ruin my day when I lose something, do it wrong, or get stuck being up at 3 AM trying to put everything back the way I like it.

Well, I posted this hoping for an "easy" answer. I do thank you all for your time!

Like Nike just do it. Its almost impossible to brick a nexus. I was on the fence a long time ago but with the community behind this phone I'll only ever buy a nexus.

Sent from my galaxy nexus running jelly bean!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37