Wait to flash after new rom/gaaps?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Back when I was researching unlocking/rooting I swear I read somewhere or was advised to wait/reboot at least once before flashing kernels, mods, etc. I've tried searching the net and can't seem to find anyone commenting on it at all. Basically, I always flash Franco's or Trinity's kernels and a mms/sms mod I like. Usually I boot up after a new rom/gaaps and then eventually go back into recovery and flash whatever else. I have done them all at once and haven't noticed any difference in performance. Of course, doing them all at once saves a bit of time, so is there a reason not to flash all at once? I understand if it wasn't a trusted zip you may not know of the culprit if there was an issue so let's assume I know they're all fine.Thanks.

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a good idea to boot up once. You can get away with small mods, but typically the best practice is to fresh boot once. The reason being that after a fresh install the ROM developer may have included additional scripts that only run once on first boot, that finalize certain features. If you flash a zip you may overwrite a system app or file that was required for that process. Also, if you wipe data, cache, and dalvik, it's a good idea to let your device automatically rebuild dalvik once before moding.

With experience you may find that some mods really aren't a problem... Like custom user apps bundled in flashable zip format... But as a general rule of thumb, a fresh boot is usually the best practice.

{{ WugFresh }}

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a good idea to boot up once. You can get away with small mods, but typically the best practice is to fresh boot once. The reason being that after a fresh install the ROM developer may have included additional scripts that only run once on first boot, that finalize certain features. If you flash a zip you may overwrite a system app or file that was required for that process. Also, if you wipe data, cache, and dalvik, it's a good idea to let your device automatically rebuild dalvik once before moding.

With experience you may find that some mods really aren't a problem... Like custom user apps bundled in flashable zip format... But as a general rule of thumb, a fresh boot is usually the best practice.

{{ WugFresh }}

This. I like to do a fresh reboot once I have everything set up, for the very reason Wug states--there might be scripts that need that reboot to activate.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Excellent. Appreciate that info. Wugs, you have a heavy hand in my flashing addiction. I've since learned the "long" way but your toolkit really eases the noobie nerves. Special thanks!

stacman.nexus

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking of trying the same thing with my next flash. The last two times I flashed CNA 3.2 and 3.3 with GAPPs, neither one loaded the GAPPs, so I couldn't access some of the new features.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Moral is.. the fewer things you flash in one recovery session the better off for you. You can get away with a kernel or mods sometimes but its not worth it considering we're talking about a few minutes to boot into recovery and flash your mods afterwards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol