Time for a clean install- JellyBro or AOKP?

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Greetings!

I did a clean install of Euroskank JellyBro 8-6 a while back, and have dirty flashed about every second or third nightly since (currently on the 8-22 version).

I've been noticing some strange bugs that I haven't seen other people mentioning, such as random reboots that get stuck at the Google Logo (requiring multiple battery pulls to get past), the battery usage showing that it is charging when it has been off the charger for over an hour, and a couple of other small ones I can't remember right now. I'm attributing all of this to the dirty flashes and not the ROM though so I've decided it is time for a full wipe and clean install.

Now, since AOKP has milestone release, I'm thinking of trying that. I had AOKP ICS M5 a while back and liked it, but I have also enjoyed JellyBro.

Since I'm going to do a full wipe, now would be the time to switch ROMs if I'm going to do it at all.

I'd like to hear from some folks who have tried both the AOKP and Euroskank Jelly Bean ROMs and see what you thought of each. I think either one would be a good stable daily driver, so really would like to just get some impressions from people who have actually used them.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have used both and find them both to be equally stable. I am currently on AOKP Build 1 coming from Euroskank by way of CM 10 official nightly. I personally like the customization options that AOKP provides. AOKP was rough for a while but they have caught up with any of the CM based ROMs I have tried.
Since you are doing a full reset anyway, it doesn't hurt to try AOKP. If you don't like it just clean flash back to Euro. I don't think you will want to go back though. In my opinion AOKP is as good as Euro/CM10 but with added features.

I actually wish I could find something wrong because my flashing finger is getting itchy.:)

AOKP=CM10+

Reactions: brianr8011

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have used both and find them both to be equally stable. I am currently on AOKP Build 1 coming from Euroskank by way of CM 10 official nightly. I personally like the customization options that AOKP provides. AOKP was rough for a while but they have caught up with any of the CM based ROMs I have tried.
Since you are doing a full reset anyway, it doesn't hurt to try AOKP. If you don't like it just clean flash back to Euro. I don't think you will want to go back though. In my opinion AOKP is as good as Euro/CM10 but with added features.

I actually wish I could find something wrong because my flashing finger is getting itchy.:)

AOKP=CM10+

+1

I've been on a few different JB ROMS over the last couple months, and AOKP has them all beat, IMO. Stable, smooth, lots of really nice features. And my guess is it will only get better with future builds. I'll be staying here for quite a while. But I reserve the right to flash something else at will. ;)

71CH

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

AOKP=CM10+

What are some of the extra features?

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What are some of the extra features?

I personally like the change notification wallpaper, more navigation bar options, volume wake, battery icon and day of the week in notifications bar.

Small things I know but I like having them. As I said Euroskank is great and have nothing against it but there are a few additions that I use in AOKP.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Let me throw my vote in via pictures:

screenshot2012082411330.png

screenshot2012082411330.png

screenshot2012082411332.png

Reactions: brianr8011

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was hoping to hear from both sides, but it looks like the AOKP folks are out in force. I'm flashing it now. Thanks for your input.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I flashed it today. To me a ROM is about the little things. Conveniences. I'll keep trying until I find my nirvana. I've been on Skank (CM10), CNA and now AOKP.

One of the "little things" I really like immediately on AOKP is the ability to have many "toggles" at the top of the status bar (ala TouchWiz). I only wish they had better icons.

Can anyone tell me what the heck Swagger is?

A useless inside joke. I do it for hilarity/having people toggle it wondering what in the heck it does. If you long press it you get a little text box, but that's it.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I flashed it today. To me a ROM is about the little things. Conveniences. I'll keep trying until I find my nirvana. I've been on Skank (CM10), CNA and now AOKP.

One of the "little things" I really like immediately on AOKP is the ability to have many "toggles" at the top of the status bar (ala TouchWiz). I only wish they had better icons.

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
First impressions- I seem to get more noticeable redraws on my home screens than I had with JellyBro. It doesn't seem to happen as often after a couple of days, but I still occasionally see "Loading Widget" on my home screen where Beautiful Widgets 4x2 Superclock should be.

Another oddity, and can anyone tell me if they are having the same issue- I push the volume rocker, then expand the volume control panel to show the other levels. If I move the phone volume all the way down, it automatically mutes the notification volume. If I try to then move the notification volume back to to where I want it, it un-mutes the ringer volume. The same thing happens to the ringer volume if I mute the notifications volume first.

They aren't linked exactly as I can have them set to different levels, but there definitely is some sort of linking that I can't seem to get rid of.

EDIT- with the redraw issue, I'm using Nova launcher prime if it matters.

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

swag?ger/ˈswagər/

Verb: Walk or behave in a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive way: "he swaggered along the corridor".

Noun: A very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive gait or manner.

Adjective: Denoting a coat or jacket cut with a loose flare from the shoulders.

Synonyms:
verb. strut - brag - prance - peacock - boast - swank - vaunt
noun. strut - swank
adjective. swell - stylish - chic - spruce

;)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Euroskank has toggles as well...for the notification drawer. Is that what you mean? You can change the icons via the theme. I am still looking for a reason to switch from Euroskank. The only feature that I know AOKP has that skank doesn't is the navigation menu button colors, which I can live without.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brianr8011

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Euroskank has toggles as well...for the notification drawer. Is that what you mean? You can change the icons via the theme. I am still looking for a reason to switch from Euroskank. The only feature that I know AOKP has that skank doesn't is the navigation menu button colors, which I can live without.

Honestly, I'd go ahead and stay with Euroskank. I'll probably be doing a clean flash back to that as soon as I can find time. I just found it to be a little more buttery smooth than AOKP (not that it still isn't a good ROM- different strokes for different folks).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd go ahead and stay with Euroskank. I'll probably be doing a clean flash back to that as soon as I can find time. I just found it to be a little more buttery smooth than AOKP (not that it still isn't a good ROM- different strokes for different folks).

Aokps stock kernel does it no favors :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Skank limits the number of "toggles" to 6. AOKP doesn't limit the number, it scrolls.

The way AOKP handles the navigation buttons if far superior to Skank

You don't really need a reason to change. Just install AOKP and try it for a half hour. If you don't like it, just restore your Nandroid backup and you're back to Skank. I did that after using Skank for several weeks and chose not to do the restore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo