error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
that is the error when trying to flash clockworkmod recovery. i used the droid life method. seemed simple enough but now nothing is happening. any suggestions?

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
yes, i am unlocked. superuser is installed via droid life's method to a t. the problem began when after installing cmod from the market it wouldn't let me flash recovery it said the aforementioned error. so i now have the twrp v2 flashed. now i don't need to reinstall su.zip that i got from droid life do i? it is already there.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yes, i am unlocked. superuser is installed via droid life's method to a t. the problem began when after installing cmod from the market it wouldn't let me flash recovery it said the aforementioned error. so i now have the twrp v2 flashed. now i don't need to reinstall su.zip that i got from droid life do i? it is already there.

Correct. Open that app and update the binary. Do that every single time you flash too :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
let me see if i understand this. now if i want to install a rom or do a back up i just adb into this twrp and do all my bizness from this?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
let me see if i understand this. now if i want to install a rom or do a back up i just adb into this twrp and do all my bizness from this?

Yup. Or you can manually boot in by going to the bootloader (power off; then press volume up, volume down, and power simultaneously) and scrolling to "Recovery Mode" (with the volume toggle) and selecting that by hitting "Power."

Most roms will have a custom power menu that lets you reboot directly into recovery. In addition, you can get the Android Terminal Emulator, type "su" then "reboot recovery."

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
okay, even though i have the superuser icon the phone is not behaving as though it is in fact rooted. i checked the two su.zip files i have. the one i installed is 1000k from droid life while the one here from this site is like 678k. is there anyway to uninstall the first zip and install the zip from this site or is this not needed and there is something else afoot? btw thank you for your help. i feel i'm close. :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
okay, even though i have the superuser icon the phone is not behaving as though it is in fact rooted. i checked the two su.zip files i have. the one i installed is 1000k from droid life while the one here from this site is like 678k. is there anyway to uninstall the first zip and install the zip from this site or is this not needed and there is something else afoot? btw thank you for your help. i feel i'm close. :)

What rom are you on? Jelly Bean? ICS? That's probably your issue.

If Jelly Bean, look in unlock/root sticky or the Mac Method thread (either this page or the next one). Check the last few pages--the proper SU app for Jelly Bean is available. Or Google it :). I don't have it on this partition; if I would I'd dropbox it :).

EDIT: Check here, this should work--

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742522

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
ICS the ota update ...i tried to install titanium backup to test the root and the app could not gain privileges.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok in that case--are you on 4.0.4? If so, hunt around those topics for the Superuser 4.0.4 zip. Check that unlock/root guide and the Mac Guide. It's in there somewhere :).

I have no idea if there are older versions available if you're on 4.0.2 or something like that (probably not, hopefully!), but try that.

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
apparently the problem was the su.zip from droidlife is not for the 4.0.4 update? anyhow it works now. thank you for your help.

BadHead1970

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I am also receiving the error "Error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands." This is also in ROM Manager. I have a Samsung S3 (I9300 - O2, UK)

I also find that I am unable to backup my ROM. Does this mean that my bootloader is still locked? If so, how can I unlock it?

Ta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty